Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damaged Lightscreen

Default Damaged Lightscreen

Firstly... Yes i did say Lightscreen.

While doing a gig at the weekend during a busy cha cha slide routine one charming young lady put her foot through my defenseless lightscreen leaving me with a hole at the bottom of my screen.

I've had a good few years of good use out of the pair but now something has to be done about the damage.

Do i:

a) Replace the cracked screen (anyone know where i can get a replacement?)
    b) Replace frontage (with what?)

All idea's and opinions welcome
    UltraBeat Entertainment
    Mobile Disco And Karaoke For All Occasions
    www.ultrabeatentertainment.co.uk

Have you claimed against the client or the person who broke it?
    Steve

Perspex from B&Q or similar. I know somebody who actually put 2 sheets of semi opaque perspex across the front of his screens in place of the original stippled (toilet window style) perspex that it came with. It didn't affect the light output, but had the effect of acting like laminate / ply wood & therefore gave a toughened frontage that even resisted a direct kick.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

ppentertainments

Why is it as soon as someone mentions damages, one of the first comments nearly always contains the word 'claim'??

Using lights of any description on or near the dancefloor is a risk, Don't get me wrong I sometimes take that risk, and if an 'accident' occurs surely the wrong thing to do is go round trying to claim all the time.

If all dj's claimed for every accident etc that occured, a very bad reputation will be the main gain. This claim / compensation nature is getting ridiculous at times. Yes there are times of negligence where a claim may be justified but not every time.

Sorry rant over

Back to the OP, and I think the easiest replacement could be to buy a sheet of perspex from a hardware shop - unless they are more complex than that. - sorry, Steve posted as I was typing - have to be quicker.
    Last edited by ppentertainments; 12-01-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: beaten by another post

If you'd only given the advice & not had a rant you would've beaten me to it

(BTW I agree)
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

what you wanna do fella is replace the front panel of your screen with makrolon not normal perspex you will find that the front panel will not break.
    ML DISCOS Discothque Servies Pleasing The Crowd Since 1998.

Even if it does cost a lot more

you really do get more protection for your money and as i regulally work with makky it's quite easy for me to borrow from work
    ML DISCOS Discothque Servies Pleasing The Crowd Since 1998.

When I used screens a few decades ago, I used to use kick proof plastic in mine. Don't ask me for a link, but it is around.

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    Have you claimed against the client or the person who broke it?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    If all dj's claimed for every accident etc that occured, a very bad reputation will be the main gain. This claim / compensation nature is getting ridiculous at times. Yes there are times of negligence where a claim may be justified but not every time.

Sorry rant over
    I agree that's why I'm not following it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Perspex from B&Q or similar. I know somebody who actually put 2 sheets of semi opaque perspex across the front of his screens in place of the original stippled (toilet window style) perspex that it came with. It didn't affect the light output, but had the effect of acting like laminate / ply wood & therefore gave a toughened frontage that even resisted a direct kick.
    Can't say I've ever seen it in my local B&Q but I'll have to go along and have a look. Can't be that expensive can it?

Quote Originally Posted by mldiscos View Post
    what you wanna do fella is replace the front panel of your screen with makrolon not normal perspex you will find that the front panel will not break.
    Never heard of it and wouldn't have a clue where to get it from.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    When I used screens a few decades ago, I used to use kick proof plastic in mine. Don't ask me for a link, but it is around.
    Nothing wrong with the retro look Kick proof plastic sounds perfect. Hope they stock it at B&Q
    UltraBeat Entertainment
    Mobile Disco And Karaoke For All Occasions
    www.ultrabeatentertainment.co.uk