Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Residency for Language School

Default Summer Residency for Language School

Well, after the earlier despondancy, I've had my first enquiry for 2009... work all summer long, midweek!

My wife did a temp stint last summer in one of Cambridge's language schools, and has retained contact with the office admin there - she got onto me today; they are tired of sending their students to the clubs in town (that do admit under 18's on certain nights), paying for them to get in and then having to sort out fights / drunkeness / underage sex etc etc --- so they want to do their own nights, twice a week, with me.

It would be Monday & Thursday, June to August, no alcohol served, supervising adults present, age group = 14 - 17 year olds.

I do now have Enhanced CRB (they did this for me as I am a Driving Instructor) - what do you think? I tend to avoid 18th's unless accompanied by someone else, due to the aforementioned drinking / fighting etc.

I'm guessing I'd be looking at current chart / R 'n B quite a lot, in terms of music... but it's outside my experience currently, any tips or advice to give?

Id go for it. You may be out of your comfort zone for the first few but then you would get the hang of it. Kids are great at telling you exactly what they want. Its a good start looking at the top 40 each week (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/ ) and getting at least the top 10, check Radio 1s playlist (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/playlist/ ) and try and get hold of whats on the A list (at least). For dancier stuff (atleast for kids) its worth checking www.aatw.com for their upcoming releases.

Like i say, kids will fill you with requests so its worth having a pen and paper handy, to keep track of the dedications and also make notes of what you havent got that they want. Youll find its pretty much the same stuff night after night.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by pagan_flame View Post
    Well, after the earlier despondancy, I've had my first enquiry for 2009... work all summer long, midweek!

My wife did a temp stint last summer in one of Cambridge's language schools, and has retained contact with the office admin there - she got onto me today; they are tired of sending their students to the clubs in town (that do admit under 18's on certain nights), paying for them to get in and then having to sort out fights / drunkeness / underage sex etc etc --- so they want to do their own nights, twice a week, with me.

It would be Monday & Thursday, June to August, no alcohol served, supervising adults present, age group = 14 - 17 year olds.

I do now have Enhanced CRB (they did this for me as I am a Driving Instructor) - what do you think? I tend to avoid 18th's unless accompanied by someone else, due to the aforementioned drinking / fighting etc.

I'm guessing I'd be looking at current chart / R 'n B quite a lot, in terms of music... but it's outside my experience currently, any tips or advice to give?
    Well done Malcolm......
    Yep don't take any crap from the little darlin's.......

I do one a month and they can be a little funny from time to time....but generally they are superb gigs......dance for the full 2 hrs.
    I usually play about 5-7 top ten tunes before mixing it about a bit. Then the requests come in and off you go.

Have a good season.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Pagan, I'd definitely go for it. The customers will ask for about 75% more tracks than you can fit into the available time.
    Steve, the Computer Savvy among us don't use pen and paper any more. That's what laptops are for. ( Callum may by now have sprayed Coffee over his monitor. )
    Tony, bad news mate, it wasn't an enquiry about the Caravan.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I usually put pens and paper out at the edge of the stage. That way they dont have to pile onto the stage, and it saves me having to listen to 10 minutes of dedications. Collect the paper in and replace it every so often. Should have been more clearer. Sorry
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
    I usually put pens and paper out at the edge of the stage. That way they dont have to pile onto the stage, and it saves me having to listen to 10 minutes of dedications. Collect the paper in and replace it every so often. Should have been more clearer. Sorry
    I was jesting a little, not unknown hereabouts. Your idea is an excellent one.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I have done these the last 5 yrs in Oxford, and they are good fun, start early finish early, only the last few of the session can get a bit boring as only a few students left. You have to be very firm witht the kids though, in there country they are taught to be more pushy than english kids of what they want, music wise. I let them bring in there own cd's and mp3 players as the music they prefer is house music or r n b with a twist, bit of easten sound to it.

also you could try karaoke, they do like it and are a lot more responsive and they sing awful.

All in all its a good time and very easy once you get to know them and vice versa, but dont insult there intellagents (not like mine) as i said they are nothing like the englsih kids.

have fun

Mike

Ps try not to watch some of the older girls dance, because they know how to shake there booty
    THE FUNKYMIKE EXPERIENCE
    Now up and running The funkymike experience, the next level......
    KARAOKE like it should be

Heres some advice from the Horses Mouth, given with no liability attaching

My son is here for a few days on holiday from his job as a Language Teacher working in China presently.

He has experience of working in Summer Schools here in England.

He thinks if the students are from Europe you may have a problem with fighting, they dont need drink to do that, drugs do the trick.

Even if you dont get personally inolved there are spin offs for you to contend with--like fights spilling into your equipment, bottles flying etc.

If they are from Asia / Far East a better prospect apparently.

Hope its not that bad as that but I would make sure you get reimbursed for any damage

If you want any further advice ring here before Wednesday

CRAZY K

ive worked at lots of foreign student parties, never had any trouble whatsoever

they will ask for requests alot, which is good
    they also bring their own cd's, which is good
    they also have ipods and mp3 players, so bring a cable to plug them in!

With your own music, play latest chart and older chart (big international hits) Bon Jovi, cha cha slide, u2, macarena etc
    Peter French - Fulltime DJ And Equipment Rental
    http://www.petefrench.com
    http://www.kidsdisco.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncy Dancefloor View Post
    ive worked at lots of foreign student parties, never had any trouble whatsoever
    Same here.

I did 3 or 4 seasons at Reading Uni for Italian students and although they're a bit rude, there was certainly nothing more than that.