Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Class-D CD15SP speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by sgldisco View Post
    I currently own 2x cd 15 subs and 2x 158's.

I prefer to use top cabs only if I can get away with it, So what would you recommend me doing??

Either way, The 158's are going.

Will 12sp's be enough on there own for the average 100+ party and then I can couple them up with the cd15 bass bins for bigger functions?

Or should I buy the 15sp's with an option to couple up to the bass bins?

I was considering going active but if a speaker or amp drops out at the gig, Game over.
    I always carry 2x C-Mark 2650 amps anyway, So problem covered.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
    2650'seh? Big lads. I only have 2450's and equivalents.

It's a six and two threes, or a rock and a hard place question/answer.
    Logically, I'd say get the rig for ther greatest amount of gigs you do. If subs are used once in a blue moon, 15" cabs. If it's anywhere near 50/50, then 12". I've not heard the 12" cabs, but I'd expect them to be struggling for real bass. 15's no problem at all.

Sorry if I've not been able to give a wholly cast iron answer, but since I've not heard the 12's I'm hampered.
    Edit: Active crossover is well worth investing in. I've run these rigs A/B and the difference is amazing.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by sgldisco View Post
    Will 12sp's be enough on there own for the average 100+ party and then I can couple them up with the cd15 bass bins for bigger functions?
    Simple answer - yes they will be fine. the 12sp with bass bins is my favourite setup at the moment. The 15sp are too big for my liking but good on their own. The 12sp will manage no problem on their own and to me sound like a 15" speaker with plenty of bass available also.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Simple answer - yes they will be fine. the 12sp with bass bins is my favourite setup at the moment. The 15sp are too big for my liking but good on their own. The 12sp will manage no problem on their own and to me sound like a 15" speaker with plenty of bass available also.
    The oracle speaks. Thanks Chris.

"The 15sp are too big for my liking". Wuss.

My fave rig is 215's below CD15SP's. Now that's a Man's rig.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 31-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The oracle speaks. Thanks Chris.

"The 15sp are too big for my liking". Wuss.

My fave rig is 215's below CD15SP's. Now that's a Man's rig.
    WARNING - WILLY WAVING ALERT

Will have to sort out the photos but used a 'trial' rig of 215sp, 4 x cd15n, 2 x cd12sp and 2 x cd15sp once (and once only)

Setup one sunday lunchtime in a local club concert room to try out different combinations.

The main negative point about class-d is I have to say, they don't sound loud - loud enough but not loud. Even my skytec moulded 15" put them to shame for loudness.

Still waiting for news on the new amps.

SGLDISCO - Do not use the class-d poles between bass bin and top if using any of the sp range. The poles are rubbish and the tops too heavy for them IMO.

Will have to sort out the photos but used a 'trial' rig of 215sp, 4 x cd15n, 2 x cd12sp and 2 x cd15sp once (and once only)

Setup one sunday lunchtime in a local club concert room to try out different combinations.

The main negative point about class-d is I have to say, they don't sound loud - loud enough but not loud. Even my skytec moulded 15" put them to shame for loudness.

SGLDISCO - Do not use the class-d poles between bass bin and top if using any of the sp range. The poles are rubbish and the tops too heavy for them IMO.
    With all of that. And as for such Willy waving exercises, they're reprehensible. I'd never do anything like that.

Chris what do you think of the small CD 15N bass cabs--im thinking of using just one driven by the new Class D amp (when available) to boost the bass end when using a couple of Peavey pro 15s--do you think the lack of loudness mentioned is firstly caused by the 8 ohm impedance---waits for the SPL merchants to start posting

I heard one at Excaliburs and it sounded ok,

CRAZY K

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post

Chris what do you think of the small CD 15N bass cabs--im thinking of using just one driven by the new Class D amp (when available) to boost the bass end when using a couple of Peavey pro 15s--do you think the lack of loudness mentioned is firstly caused by the 8 ohm impedance---waits for the SPL merchants to start posting

I heard one at Excaliburs and it sounded ok,

CRAZY K
    Side by side I can hear no difference between the larger and smaller class-d bass cabs. I have never used only one but would would think it would suffice. In all honesty when using the 12sp cabs I probably only need one. I prefer the smaller ones due to suffering from 'DJ bad back syndrome ', and the elastic sides on my garage are about up to their limit.

I don't know what the reason for the lack of loudness is. I done a kids party yesterday using only 2 12" tops connected to a 1300w amp. The amp gives out 2x390w at 8ohm. I had the amp turned right up and the mixer just below the 'redline'. This should have been too much for the cabs but they sounded great and coped no problem, yet still not as loud as other speakers ???

I don't properly understand SPL figures but the figures for the class-d is higher than others, even though the others sound louder. I think a lot could be the quality of the sound though. Others sound louder but the sound quality is poorer, and have yet to find another speaker in the same sort of 'range' that sounds as good.

Side by side I can hear no difference between the larger and smaller class-d bass cabs. I have never used only one but would would think it would suffice. In all honesty when using the 12sp cabs I probably only need one. I prefer the smaller ones due to suffering from 'DJ bad back syndrome ', and the elastic sides on my garage are about up to their limit.

I don't know what the reason for the lack of loudness is. I done a kids party yesterday using only 2 12" tops connected to a 1300w amp. The amp gives out 2x390w at 8ohm. I had the amp turned right up and the mixer just below the 'redline'. This should have been too much for the cabs but they sounded great and coped no problem, yet still not as loud as other speakers ???

I don't properly understand SPL figures but the figures for the class-d is higher than others, even though the others sound louder. I think a lot could be the quality of the sound though. Others sound louder but the sound quality is poorer, and have yet to find another speaker in the same sort of 'range' that sounds as good.
    Thanks for that---a test in the Mansfield Warehouse will tell me all I need to know

CRAZY K