Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Speaker building and designing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I am not building one of my plans. It's already been designed by JBL. I'm just making the cab.
    so it's not a free plan then, Tom?

Good effort!

I am currently having a look at making a pair of bookshelf monitors, a relatively simple full-range, reflex cabinet.

High and high-mid detail / accuracy isn't of any real importance, but we'll need that low kick / snare cutting through so a decent 10 - 12" is a must.

I've managed to acquire a pair of dual concentric Tannoy mid / high drivers, the same found in the old DC2000's IIRC, so I'll probably go all out for the 10 - 12" and look out for a 2nd hand PD or Beyma that can be matched. A cheap 3 way xover from CPC would suffice. I'll be sure to find out what that Tannoy driver is rated at, and locate the T/S before I settle on the low-mid and fire up WinISD.

I doubt I'll have to stray too far away from the X15 plans for a decent pair of monitor speakers. The amp module in the Gemini we use for foldback is a little noisy, so I hope to do away with this as soon as possible.

Here, Tom. If you are after someone to make up the grills for you, I'd contact Markie over on Speakerplans.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    so it's not a free plan then, Tom?
    In a way it is a free plan. On the website, JBL state that the driver needs a 50L cab which includes the space taken up by the driver and the port too.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Good effort!

I am currently having a look at making a pair of bookshelf monitors, a relatively simple full-range, reflex cabinet.

High and high-mid detail / accuracy isn't of any real importance, but we'll need that low kick / snare cutting through so a decent 10 - 12" is a must.

I've managed to acquire a pair of dual concentric Tannoy mid / high drivers, the same found in the old DC2000's IIRC, so I'll probably go all out for the 10 - 12" and look out for a 2nd hand PD or Beyma that can be matched. A cheap 3 way xover from CPC would suffice. I'll be sure to find out what that Tannoy driver is rated at, and locate the T/S before I settle on the low-mid and fire up WinISD.

I doubt I'll have to stray too far away from the X15 plans for a decent pair of monitor speakers. The amp module in the Gemini we use for foldback is a little noisy, so I hope to do away with this as soon as possible.

Here, Tom. If you are after someone to make up the grills for you, I'd contact Markie over on Speakerplans.
    Thanks.

Already spoken to Mark ages ago.

So where do you go about getting plans for Bass Bins from? I've got a couple of reasonable spec 15" mid/low drivers kicking around and a spare amp and I've no problem with working with 18mm Ply/MDF/etc to put together a cabinet. How do you work out cabinet dimensions, ports, etc? Is there anything "special" you need to consider when jointing the cabinets (can you just use standard butt joints, screwed & glued, or do you need to do anything different for cabs to get a decent result?)

Bear in mind (though you've probably guessed from the above) that I'm completely new to building "quality" boxes, though I've made enough bins for car boots in my time (though the way to work out the volume for boot bins is simply - how big can I make it before I can't fit anything else in? )

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    ....I am currently having a look at making a pair of bookshelf monitors, a relatively simple full-range, reflex cabinet.....

.....I doubt I'll have to stray too far away from the X15 plans....
    Are you having a laugh, how big is your bookshelf??, X15's are huge!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    So where do you go about getting plans for Bass Bins from?
    www.speakerplans.com/forum
    Last edited by Tony Scott; 28-05-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
    www.speakerplans.com/forum
    I should've guessed that really Thanks!

Julian

darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
    Are you having a laugh, how big is your bookshelf??, X15's are huge!!!
    Indeed! The X15 plan was the closest I have found to the sort of cab I'm after. As I say, I won't be using a 15", nor a pair of 10's or 12's so...

Oh, and my bookshelf is mighty. I have a pair of TMS 5's looking at me right now