Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review - American DJ X-move

Default Review - American DJ X-move

Here is my review of the American DJ X-Move Moving head fixture.

So to start it off here is what I think of the light

Weight – 8/10
    Style – 10/10
    Light Output – 8/10
    Ease Of Use – 7/10

Well for the money, they are rather good. I think this was the first LED moving head with a separate gobo and color wheel. The light has 8 colors + white and 8 gobos + spot. The unit is only 4.5kg and on draws 44 watts/2amps from the plug. Not bad for such a compact light.

When this light first came out, people compared the output of the x-move to a 250w halogen lamps. Well this is kind of true but only at a short distance. From what I have found out, the light is quite close in output at a short distance but anything over this then the halogen is brighter. For most mobile DJ work, this light is perfect. If you regularly DJ in large halls or need to project the beam over a large distance then this light may not be for you. I would wait for the new high power led lights or stay with halogen lamp fixtures.

Well thats no problem for me. When out DJ'ing I now start to get comments on how bright they lights are and people asking me to turn them down of turn them off. . When I get comments like this, I just speed up the movement of the lights via my Ryger controller but that will be another review.

I really like the design of the moving head. Looks the same as a halogen lamp fixtures, but a lot smaller and a lot lighter.

The built in shows are rather good. But to get the best out of these lights, you really need to get some kind of PC based dmx controller. It makes life so much easier. The lights are also sound active if you do not have a dmx controller

This is what the manual says about the built in light shows.

Show 1 – For fixtures placed on the floor, the tilt movement angle is 210 degrees
    Show 2 – For fixtures placed to the ceiling or truss, the tile movement angle is 90 degrees
    Show 3 – For fixtures placed on a table or stage. The beam is projected at the audience's direction; I.e. in front of the stage. Pan movement angle (left to right to left) is 160 degrees. Tilt movement is 90 degrees
    Show 4 – For fixtures fixed to the ceiling. The beam is projected at the audience's direction; I.e. in front of the stage. Pan movement angle (left to right to left) is 160 degrees. Tilt movement is 90 degrees

If I can remember, when I used the built in shows, I used show 4. I do remember that the the shows did project the beam all over the venue compared to a scanner where mirror can only travel so far.

Just to let you know, you don't have to use the American DJ UC3 controller. If you have a Acme CA-8 controller, you can use this as well. It does the same thing. Just a different name.

The only issue with this light is hanging it on a truss or deck stand. You really do need g-clamps. I don't use any at the moment as I have a roadie to help me hang the lights up but when he decides to leave, hanging these up will be a right nightmare. So if you are looking in to getting these lights, get g-clamps. Will make hanging these lights a easy as pie.

If anyone has any questions regarding these lights then please feel free to ask a question below.

Tom, how much each roughly?

is it dip switches or LED screen?

It had a LED screen with 4 buttons.

Menu, Enter, Up and Down.

Within this menu you can select everything from pan, tilt, led on or off, sound mode on or off, temperature test, self test and many more.

I got 4 for £1200 so £300 each.

Great review,

Looking at getting a pair myself

Quote Originally Posted by djsteve10 View Post
    Great review,

Looking at getting a pair myself

i'm looking at 4, always think multi axis fixtures like these look better in a set of 4

because you can delay the phasing/fan of patterns on most controllers and make them look pretty SCHWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I got 4 for £1200 so £300 each.
    Price has gone up on these now, priced @ £329 each.

If a retailer still has stock, then you may be able to get a deal price or the old prices on them, but new stocks coming in will be at the more expensive price
    Adam F
    07736 834 750
    My opinions expressed here, are MY opinions, and NOT of any company I may represent, liase or work with or for.

Last edited by discomobiledj; 24-01-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Steve

£300?? I found one for £250 with free delivery. See here.

...and by the way - I REALLY want a couple of those!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverlineDiscos View Post
    £300?? I found one for £250 with free delivery. See here.

...and by the way - I REALLY want a couple of those!!!
    thats the XMove Laser there, the XMOVELED is different