Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversy corner

501damian501

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    In a nutshell, no, i dont think its fair that a part timer takes the food off the table of a professional but the customer is always right and has the right to choose who ever they like. Sometimes its about which DJ is right for the job, not which one is a pro and needs the money more.

you get part timers in everything, from racing drivers to taxi drivers to plasterers, only because their part time doesnt mean their rubbish, they clearly have to input their time into other things, people are stronger in areas some people arnt, and to be honest if the weather stays the same, non of us are going to make tons of money this year, ive got a whole 6weeks of fetes planned, but am unable to submit the appilications untill nearer the dates, as the weather is still the same.

I work in sales for an entertainment agency, I dont mind you asking, just wondering why you are asking?
    Just wondering how you'd feel if part timers in your chosen field forced you out because they were getting other income & therefore could afford to do your job at a lower rate.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Do you mean part time agencies taking our work? If you do mean that, it allready happens.

Any line of work.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Do you think its right that part timers with full time day jobs are still operating & taking gigs from those that rely on discos as their only income?

Do you think its right that part timers with full time day jobs are still operating & taking gigs from those that rely on discos as their only income?
    Ooooh.... I think I entered the Twilight Zone!

hehe i am enquiring what steves view on this is

Honestly, no.

However there is fair & there is practical / reality.

"Hi Mark

Sorry i have actually found another dj who is offering the whole shibang for £100 cheaper.
    Thank you very much anyway"

This is the response to a quote I gave for a 6 hour disco (7p.m - 1a.m, 30th Birthday) for 150 people, I don't mind saying my quote was for £230, less than my normal fee would have been due to the fact it was a very last minute enquiry on a date I was available. The reason it was last minute was I quote " If you could get back to me asap that would be great. I realise its short notice but was let down by another dj. " Irony?

As a new business (fulltime) I do need to do what I can to get my name out there and build a reputation for word of mouth purposes, but I wouldn't and couldn't justify going out for the same price as this other guy has quoted. I guess my point is that part-timers/hobbyists can afford to do it due to it being an extra income on top of their fulltime job. VV hits the nail on the head really. But even so its quite disheartening.
    Last edited by Mark Wild; 13-02-2009 at 01:17 PM.

As a part-timer myself, I agree with Steve's original post.
    And as someone who has never advertised and has only got work through recommendation or passed from a fellow DJ, the majority of who are full time, I have charged what you could consider 'the going rate' regardless of wether the DJ is full or part time.
    Often a couple of DJ's have called me asking if I want to take on a job they can't do, so to be fair I'll ask them what they would have charged, and charge the same. Obviously this has only been with DJ's who are good friends!

There is however, a market for part timers, but it very will depend on many factors.
    If the going rate for full time DJ's for a given type event is £350, there will be people who literally do not have the money (round here there are a good few) so that's where a part timer can fill the gap.

The problem is part timers competeing for work from full timers by charging much less simply because they can afford to, which is what Steve was basically saying.

Early on in my DJing days (around 20ish years ago) the best piece of advice I was given, from a full time pro, was to not undersell myself.
    That works both ways, I get what I believe I am worth, and those (punters) who won't pay decent money get what they pay for!
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it