Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Numpty needs help.

Default Numpty needs help.

OK Lads and Lasses, brace yourselves, this is in many parts.
    My desktop is a lot like me.( Past its best, and being asked to do more than it was ever designed to )
    It is a Packard Bell, and comes with a programme I use for photo resizing, Ulead Photo Impact. If I get another make, can I copy the HD and associated programmes to the new one? Can I do this by my spare master music library HD?
    And now the mobile phone question. It's due for upgrade, and not before time. Nokia 6300, the most horrible phone I've ever had the misfortune to own. I see that PC World sell bluetooth dongles for a tenner, which would apparently connect a new phone to the PC. Could I copy the phone book onto the PC with this? Would I need fancy software? Thanks in advance.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

You cant transfer applications and OS's between PCs with out reinstalling.

I'm not too hot on phones but anyway, If the contacts are saved to the SIM card then you can get those things that transfer the data across.

ppentertainments

With regards to the phone, yes it is possible to transfer your contacts using a bluetooth dongle (or at least you can with mine).

The only problem is I have not got a clue what to do so will have to ask my 9 year old

Quote Originally Posted by CB Entertainments View Post
    You cant transfer applications and OS's between PCs with out reinstalling..
    Bummer ( I think )
    I'm not too hot on phones but anyway, If the contacts are saved to the SIM card then you can get those things that transfer the data across.
    Callum, there are times when you are not the clearest and most lucid poster on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Callum, there are times when you are not the clearest and most lucid poster on here.
    Sounds like me http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtempla...0CARD%20COPIER Something like that.

Thanks Callum.

Why not just use the hard drive in your existing PC and have it as a second hard drive in your new PC. Make sure that the old HDD is set to slave.

As for the phone, unless you get another Nokia it's pointless saving it on the computer. Just copy to the sim card and transfer to your new phone that way.
    Steve

Hiya Peter

As Callum correctly states you can't just copy applications across from one PC to another. You can, however, copy your files and settings and there are various pieces of software available to make this process easy. But you do need the installation disc(s) for the original applications to reinstall the software on your new PC. I've used Photo Impact before (it came free with a digital camera) but I can't say if it's Vista-compatible or not as I haven't put it on to any of the laptops.

As for the mobile phone query, the simple answer is yes! Modern data phones should come with a disc with software and drivers on it. Some phones even has the software installation files on the actual phone and can be installed from there. The software usually gives you a number of options to connect to the phone (infra-red, wireless, bluetooth or data cable) and should be able to read your contacts as well as other things. Obviously, the more expensive the phone, the more features it will have so it all depends on the make and model that you choose. I can't comment on the specs of individual phones but your local dealer will be able to. Have a word with them.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    Why not just use the hard drive in your existing PC and have it as a second hard drive in your new PC. Make sure that the old HDD is set to slave.
    That would only guarantee the user files and not the program files.

That would only guarantee the user files and not the program files.
    I beg to differ young man! I have done exactly that with mine and been working perfectly for the last 6 ish years.
    Steve