Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
Fat32 - then the Cortex can write Cue points, Hot Cue points, Loops, etc to the disk so you'll have them for the next time you pull up the track. I've had no luck at all getting mine to read NTFS drives.
Never been a problem for me. I use NTFS since I believe there's less chance of losing anything, but I accept I can't save cue points etc.

It's happier with CBR, but it can handle VBR without issues (about half of my collection is CBR and half is VBR and I haven't noticed any particular problems with either). What you have to do is download the manager software onto your PC, attach the USB drive, and let it create a database of your files, when it does this it'll create a .idx file alongside any VBR MP3's. If you don't do this, it'll create the .idx's on the fly, but this will delay the load of any VBR tracks by about 5-10 seconds on their first load (assuming that you have a Fat32 formatting HDD, if you have NTFS it'll take 5-10 seconds on every load as it won't be able to write the .idx back to the disk).
Hmmmm, sounds like you know what you're on about. I'll keep quiet.
However, if you want to convert them, the utility "dBpowerAMP Music Converter" is great, and though not free, is very cheap (about £25.00). It also includes tools for ripping CD's to MP3.

Julian
Told you there was a program.