Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cortex firmware update.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Great kit NEVER goes out of fashion.

How long have Bose 802s, Sure SM58s, Technics 1210s or Beyer DT100s been around?
    I hear the Shure SM58's are pretty good too

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Great kit NEVER goes out of fashion.

How long have Bose 802s, Sure SM58s, Technics 1210s or Beyer DT100s been around?
    Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Nah, I prefer the Sure SM58s.

They have a built-in deodorant!

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    It appears there's one on the site now. My first unit ran fine from the outset, and I only updated it because of what I read. The second unit started fine, but developed a very annoying and somewhat intermittent fault. I kept meaning to update it to see if that would cure it, and never did. At the last gig, it really annoyed me, and I updated it on the fly, as it were. I was surprised to see that the new version which appeared was 2.5.2, and not 2.5.0 as I expected. Seems there's an update.

BTW, the fault was that at the end of certain songs, the unit would lose contact with the HD, and reboot. You soon learn to keep the other unit fully primed.
    Have you loaded the new update onto your cortex yet ?? Mine both run well at the moment and I am always dubious about updating something that does not need it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Have you loaded the new update onto your cortex yet ?? Mine both run well at the moment and I am always dubious about updating something that does not need it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I have never updated my Cortex ( pair ) never had a problem---

I agree absolutely---if its running well--leave it alone--a message I received in the early days of repairing Motor Cars in the 60s---thats when you COULD repair your own car

Im surprised you updated Peter---was it anything significant--

CRAZY K

Hi Guys , have a cortex which I have yet to use , just a couple of questions to the guys whose units work well for them before I start to use it.
    Is it better to have any hard drive formatted with Fat32 or is NTFS format trouble free?
    Mp3's is it better to have these CBR , most of my current files are VBR and I hate the thought of having to start ripping again!!!
    If I do need CBR is there any software which can convert VBR TO CBR?
    Thanks
    WOODY

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyo View Post
    Is it better to have any hard drive formatted with Fat32 or is NTFS format trouble free?
    Fat32 - then the Cortex can write Cue points, Hot Cue points, Loops, etc to the disk so you'll have them for the next time you pull up the track. I've had no luck at all getting mine to read NTFS drives.

Mp3's is it better to have these CBR , most of my current files are VBR and I hate the thought of having to start ripping again!!!
    Thanks
    It's happier with CBR, but it can handle VBR without issues (about half of my collection is CBR and half is VBR and I haven't noticed any particular problems with either). What you have to do is download the manager software onto your PC, attach the USB drive, and let it create a database of your files, when it does this it'll create a .idx file alongside any VBR MP3's. If you don't do this, it'll create the .idx's on the fly, but this will delay the load of any VBR tracks by about 5-10 seconds on their first load (assuming that you have a Fat32 formatting HDD, if you have NTFS it'll take 5-10 seconds on every load as it won't be able to write the .idx back to the disk).

However, if you want to convert them, the utility "dBpowerAMP Music Converter" is great, and though not free, is very cheap (about £25.00). It also includes tools for ripping CD's to MP3.

Julian

Hi Guys , have a cortex which I have yet to use , just a couple of questions to the guys whose units work well for them before I start to use it.
    Cortex recommend FAT32. I use NTFS. There are valid arguments for both systems.
    Again most reports of dodgy files are VBR. Best avoided if poss, tho I have some on my system, and as far as I know don't have issues. .
    Thanks
    Yes. Don't ask for more info, cos that's the full extent of my knowledge on that.

As for firmware updates, I'm on 2.5.2, and highly recommend it.

Edit:

Sorry lads, missed these earlier I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I agree. That's why I had units on different updates while they were working fine. I updated as problems occurred. Update has been a step forward on every occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I have never updated my Cortex ( pair ) never had a problem---

I agree absolutely---if its running well--leave it alone--a message I received in the early days of repairing Motor Cars in the 60s---thats when you COULD repair your own car

Im surprised you updated Peter---was it anything significant--

CRAZY K
    Yeah, like I said, losing contact with the HD! Only the unit on the older system suffered, so as I said, I got so cheesed, I upgraded mid gig. Never a moments problem since.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 03-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks guys , think I go to Fat32 and leave the MP3's as they are at present. Have updated the unit to the current software..... will report back asap.
    WOODY