Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon or hard drive?

Red face Denon or hard drive?

OK then, slight problem with the Denon well not the Denon I think it's the hard drive.

I’ve hooked the hard drive up to the unit and I seem to get a ‘flickering light’ on the 250g sign on the front – hard drive is a Freecom 250 – when connected to the unit it seems to take a long time finding and loading the track to play.

It has also dropped out of the track playing. Then it start’s up again saying link.
    Also there is a USB flashing on the front of the unit.

I first thought that this is the USB power lead but have now checked this to only find it is not faulty.
    I use the same USB hub on both Denon’s (Advent 2.00 with 4 usb’s) – could it be this? Although I’m confused why it would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

I might be wrong, but the symptoms the drive is giving indicates that it might be about to konk out. Most hard drives will give a good indication as to when they will fail in the near future but taking a long time to load and sometimes not load at all.

As I said, I don't know the unit so I could be stabbing in the dark here but it sounds like the drive is about to give up the ghost

ppentertainments

Have you tried de-fragmenting and clean the drive ??? I done mine and it made a huge difference when using with the superior cortex.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverlineDiscos View Post
    I might be wrong, but the symptoms the drive is giving indicates that it might be about to konk out. Most hard drives will give a good indication as to when they will fail in the near future but taking a long time to load and sometimes not load at all.

As I said, I don't know the unit so I could be stabbing in the dark here but it sounds like the drive is about to give up the ghost
    I've just plugged it into the laptop.....runs as sweet as a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Have you tried de-fragmenting and clean the drive ??? I done mine and it made a huge difference when using with the superior cortex.
    Ah....never thought of that......doing that now.

Superior Cortex......get a grip man....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

I'm not sure that the laptop will be a good fault finding comparison. The light on the HD can often flash as a sign of activity. Different types may flash at different rates. If possible, swapping with your other Denon would provide a more accurate swap. See if the fault moves with the HD, or stays with the hub, or the Denon. I'm not sure, but is it possible that the HD "sleeps". I think this can cause disconnection. Are both Denons on the same firmware? I updated one of mine, and so far this has removed a very similar problem to what you describe.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm not sure that the laptop will be a good fault finding comparison. The light on the HD can often flash as a sign of activity. Different types may flash at different rates. If possible, swapping with your other Denon would provide a more accurate swap. See if the fault moves with the HD, or stays with the hub, or the Denon. I'm not sure, but is it possible that the HD "sleeps". I think this can cause disconnection. Are both Denons on the same firmware? I updated one of mine, and so far this has removed a very similar problem to what you describe.
    The same thought had crossed my mind. I'm doing a defrag on the laptop and then will try it with both head unit's as i've not tried this yet.

The two head units are running different firmware.....so not sure if that's a problem but I think not.....might be wrong.
    One with the latest and one not with the upgrade.

The other option is to wipe the hard drive and start again ......so plenty of options all round.

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    The other option is to wipe the hard drive and start again ......so plenty of options all round.
    I was actually about to mention that. I formatted one of my hard drives which was playing up and it made such a difference

The same thought had crossed my mind. I'm doing a defrag on the laptop and then will try it with both head unit's as i've not tried this yet.

The two head units are running different firmware.....so not sure if that's a problem but I think not.....might be wrong.
    One with the latest and one not with the upgrade.

I'd keep that option as a very very last resort. Money's on firmware, but that's just a feeling.

I might be a plank here but something has just crossed my mind.

The other Denon has the new firmware installed on the head unit BUT the hard drive has the old firmware on it.......

My guess is it's that.....anyone?

I might be a plank here but something has just crossed my mind.

The other Denon has the new firmware installed on the head unit BUT the hard drive has the old firmware on it.......

My guess is it's that.....anyone?
    I think you may be confusing things here, unless the Denon runs very differently to the Cortex. The HD uses a Database program, and the head unit an Operating System ( in my opinion) I could be mistaken.