Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with Cortex

Default Help needed with Cortex

Well, I didn't want the Denon and Numark users to monopolise this area, did I?
    Actually, I do need help, after Justin pointed this out last night. I have connected a USB DVD drive to one Cortex, to play customer CD's. WWith a CD inserted, I only get track numbres displayed, no ID3 tags. If we put the same disc in John's Denon trays, it reads the track title etc.
    Can I make the Cortex do the same? The drive is a LG external one, I even think it's a rewrite one.
    Thanks.

It's this.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152000
    Last edited by Excalibur; 28-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The best way to cure this problem is to unplug your hard drive from the Cortex, wait 10 seconds...

...then plug it into a D2

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    The best way to cure this problem is to unplug your hard drive from the Cortex, wait 10 seconds...

...then plug it into a D2
    Rob - even by your usual low standard that's one of the most useless posts you've made for some time

True, though...

That's it! I've had it with you two now. Laurel and Hardy. I'm gonna lend Tom some of my cabs for you to shift Jamesy. Never mind teardrop handles, it'll be teardrops in your eyes from the effort.
    Vectis, I'll deal with you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    That's it! I've had it with you two now. Laurel and Hardy. I'm gonna lend Tom some of my cabs for you to shift Jamesy. Never mind teardrop handles, it'll be teardrops in your eyes from the effort.

Default Cortex Media Controller

I have heard from another DJ, that they formated the external HDD correctly, and the Cortex 3000 would still not recognise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I have connected a USB DVD drive to one Cortex, to play customer CD's. WWith a CD inserted, I only get track numbres displayed, no ID3 tags. If we put the same disc in John's Denon trays, it reads the track title etc.
    Is the CD an audio CD or a CD/DVD formatted as a data disc with MP3's on it? If it has MP3's on it then I would have thought it'd treat it the same as any other removal storage device (e.g. if the ID3 tag's were present it'd read them) - though I've never tried this in my Cortex. If it's an Audio CD then I'd love to know how any device reads ID3 tags from something which doesn't have them

Normally I try and avoid using customer CD's on the night as my unit still has a habit of rebooting if I plug in an external CD/DVD drive while it's running...

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    I have heard from another DJ, that they formated the external HDD correctly, and the Cortex 3000 would still not recognise it.
    I have 3 hard drives to use with the Cortex--never had a problem--its probably to do with the type of system--tell him to read the handbook like the rest of us do

I have used mine for about 2 and a half years without problems--any glitches have been down to user error or file problems--

I know Shakermaker and Creature got sold defective units but provided you get one that works properly to start with then I believe no one has had any ongoing problems--other than self inflicted by those who dont fully understand what they are doing.

Peter, sorry cant answer you--I wouldnt attempt to use a USB reader to play a CD personally--shove the disc in your laptop---thats what its designed for ---no problem

So a Denon plays CDs---thats why you pay a lot more

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Is the CD an audio CD or a CD/DVD formatted as a data disc with MP3's on it? If it has MP3's on it then I would have thought it'd treat it the same as any other removal storage device (e.g. if the ID3 tag's were present it'd read them) - though I've never tried this in my Cortex. If it's an Audio CD then I'd love to know how any device reads ID3 tags from something which doesn't have them

Normally I try and avoid using customer CD's on the night as my unit still has a habit of rebooting if I plug in an external CD/DVD drive while it's running...

Julian
    Quite agree--my walkman CD player works just fine for those odd moments.

Using customers MP3s seems to be the trend now,

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    Possibly true Max, but totally unconnected. As far as I know, the Cortex is less fussy than other machines regarding HD file systems et al. I know mine has read everything I've connected, even when I didn't expect it to. Main thing appears to be having a powered hub it likes.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Julian
    I fear you may have misunderstood. Shop bought CD, inserted into Denon trays, up comes all info. Cortex simply shows track numbers, which is why we wonder if there's some box to tick somewhere.
    As for plugging in, I leave the drive connected permanently. It's built into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    I have 3 hard drives to use with the Cortex--never had a problem--its probably to do with the type of system--tell him to read the handbook like the rest of us do

I have used mine for about 2 and a half years without problems--any glitches have been down to user error or file problems--

I know Shakermaker and Creature got sold defective units but provided you get one that works properly to start with then I believe no one has had any ongoing problems--other than self inflicted by those who dont fully understand what they are doing.

Peter, sorry cant answer you--I wouldnt attempt to use a USB reader to play a CD personally--shove the disc in your laptop---thats what its designed for ---no problem

So a Denon plays CDs---thats why you pay a lot more

CRAZY K
    No way am I using the tray on the lappy. It has other work to do. ( Annoying Rob on his nights off, for example. ) As to the Denon, the point folk may be missing is that the trays were connected to a CD player, not a 2500. I suspect this is the difference.

I wonder if anyone has an external drive connected to a HDC which successsfully shows CD info? Interesting to know.