Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with Cortex

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Possibly true Max, but totally unconnected. As far as I know, the Cortex is less fussy than other machines regarding HD file systems et al. I know mine has read everything I've connected, even when I didn't expect it to. Main thing appears to be having a powered hub it likes.
    Basically it likes FAT32, which has the issue that you can't format drives bigger than 32Gb as FAT32 using Windows XP, so you have to get one of a number of third party applications to do the formatting. NTFS it can handle, but can't write too, which means cue points, hot cue points, loops, etc are all lost when you turn off. Personally I think this is an acceptable limitation, the only major issue is that every now and then you might "lose" an MP3 because FAT32 can be corrupted, whereas NTFS, can't (just because of the process used to write files).

I fear you may have misunderstood. Shop bought CD, inserted into Denon trays, up comes all info. Cortex simply shows track numbers, which is why we wonder if there's some box to tick somewhere.
    Ah, ok, I understand now. From memory there is a standard called CD-TEXT which is used to record track names, etc into the prologue of a CD so a compatiable CD player can read it (or the appropriate software on the host computer), but it's never been widely adopted by the music industry (from memory only some CD's pressed by Sony BMG have it) so it's fairly rare to find it on a CD. It's also fairly rare to find a CD player which can read them, so I'm not surprised that the Cortex doesn't. Email their tech support guys through the website, they might know more.

Ah, found a good FAQ now - try this: http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/cdtext.htm

As for plugging in, I leave the drive connected permanently. It's built into the box.
    I originally bought the external DVD-RW drive to use for the odd customer request, but now my answer is always "If you wanted me to play that, then you should have given it to me beforehand" unless I have time to either RIP the CD to MP3 myself and put it on USB Key, or Re-encode the MP3's they've given me (to reduce the chance of a rogue customer MP3 locking up the box).

I wonder if anyone has an external drive connected to a HDC which successsfully shows CD info? Interesting to know.
    I've never tried it, but I might have to now

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Basically it likes FAT32, which has the issue that you can't format drives bigger than 32Gb as FAT32 using Windows XP, so you have to get one of a number of third party applications to do the formatting. NTFS it can handle, but can't write too, which means cue points, hot cue points, loops, etc are all lost when you turn off. Personally I think this is an acceptable limitation, the only major issue is that every now and then you might "lose" an MP3 because FAT32 can be corrupted, whereas NTFS, can't (just because of the process used to write files).
    FAT32 is recommended by Cortex. I've had no probs with NTFS, and it's corruption resistant. Works for me. A forum member on here did have problems with the Denon failing to find drives formatted in the system it didn't like.

Ah, ok, I understand now. From memory there is a standard called CD-TEXT which is used to record track names, etc into the prologue of a CD so a compatiable CD player can read it (or the appropriate software on the host computer), but it's never been widely adopted by the music industry (from memory only some CD's pressed by Sony BMG have it) so it's fairly rare to find it on a CD. It's also fairly rare to find a CD player which can read them, so I'm not surprised that the Cortex doesn't. Email their tech support guys through the website, they might know more.
    Pigs might fly. Numark's forum has been removed, Cortex is dead man walking, only Denon supported fully now.

Ah, found a good FAQ now - try this: http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/cdtext.htm
    Excellent. I'm baffled, but that's normal.
    I originally bought the external DVD-RW drive to use for the odd customer request, but now my answer is always "If you wanted me to play that, then you should have given it to me beforehand" unless I have time to either RIP the CD to MP3 myself and put it on USB Key, or Re-encode the MP3's they've given me (to reduce the chance of a rogue customer MP3 locking up the box).
    Technically I suspect this is a breach of P****b ( Phew, nearly mentioned it there. ) Such a shame, when it's the obvious thing to do.

I've never tried it, but I might have to now

Julian
    Please let us know what you find.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

FAT32 is recommended by Cortex. I've had no probs with NTFS, and it's corruption resistant. Works for me. A forum member on here did have problems with the Denon failing to find drives formatted in the system it didn't like.
    That's interesting - I had to reformat my USB drives because on all three NTFS drives I've got when I plugged them in the Cortex started to read them and then just rebooted - same drives, FAT32 formatted, all work fine!

Pigs might fly. Numark's forum has been removed, Cortex is dead man walking, only Denon supported fully now.
    I dunno, I've had some pretty informative discussions with their support guys lately - it's probably my fault they haven't released their promised next generation product yet (I keep distracting them!) I'm inclined to agree with you about them being in trouble, I think the current Cortex boxes are limited and starting to show their age and they should have got their next gen product to market last year. Featurewise, they seem to be playing catch up.

Excellent. I'm baffled, but that's normal.
    Basically, CD-TEXT is the name of the standard which allows audio CD's to carry extra information about the album (album name/artist and track names), but I've never had confirmation that any manufacturer other than Sony ever includes this information on their CD's. It's also not widely supported by CD/DVD drive manufacturers or Software vendors (for instance Windows Media Player doesn't bother to read CD-TEXT - it just goes to cddb instead to look up the track info, but WinAmp does). In short, good idea, but it's never really taken off.

Technically I suspect this is a breach of P****b ( Phew, nearly mentioned it there. ) Such a shame, when it's the obvious thing to do.
    I'm sure it technically is. Never mind I make sure I destroy anything I don't own (or buy and download an MP3 version it if it's any good), so tell me the difference between doing this and playing the customers CD in a CD Deck? (Don't worry - I do know the difference - I just don't agree )

Please let us know what you find.
    I'll have to give it a go when I'm out next weekend.

Julian

I use a 'COMPUTER', it will read anything, give one a go they're quite good you know....
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
    I use a 'COMPUTER', it will read anything, give one a go they're quite good you know....
    Wrong. My laptop decided last night that out of the 3 hard drives to choose from it would only play from the one already connected to the cortex

Tried it this morning and no problems at all - strange one

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Wrong. My laptop decided last night that out of the 3 hard drives to choose from it would only play from the one already connected to the cortex

Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant 'RACK MOUNT PC'......
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

I have a Cortex HDC1000 - and use NTFS formatted drives and never had a problem with the drives themselves.

What I do have a problem is with the pathetic piece of "offline" software that is supposed to create a "database" of songs, so that you can enable search facilities when using NTFS drives - Cortex can't write back files to a NTFS formatted drive.

To say the software is pathetic is an understatement. And if I was not such a gentleman I would swear!*!*!

There is no error trapping in the software and just crashes when it see something that it does not like.

The player itself is ok and once you have the database sorted (took me 4 weeks). The search facility is very fast.

I would wait as like other posters stated, emerging technologies would probably surpass this unit.
    -------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------
    www.vip-disco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

My experience of trying to DJ using Laptop's or PC's was short lived - I was using an external USB soundcard and a Numark Total Control with Virtual DJ, and the various USB devices would intermittently lose connectivity in the middle of performances.

Just out of interest, does this mean you have three USB HDD's connected to a powered USB hub and you then have a Cortex and a Rackmount PC connected to the USB hub (and you're then sharing devices?) Or... Something else? I'm just curious because I didn't think USB catered for a multiple master configuration (e.g. with two host devices on the same hub?)

Julian

yep my origianl cortex wa sfaulty and eventually got passed there helpdesk to one of tehre engineers, who after asking me questiond confirmed my diagnosis and tehy replaced it been using it now nearly 2 years trouble free - even after some idiots pulled the plug on me whilst in use.

[qoute] Cortex can't write back files to a NTFS formatted drive. [/qoute]
    im using NTFS and been rock solid it even will create its own database, only found this out last week when i updated the files but forgot to do the database. it worked just fine.

[qoute] and just crashes when it see something that it does not like.
    [/qoute]

never had this problem, only files that wouldnt play were faulty ones. not had a crash since faulty unit was replaced.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    yep my origianl cortex wa sfaulty and eventually got passed there helpdesk to one of tehre engineers, who after asking me questiond confirmed my diagnosis and tehy replaced it been using it now nearly 2 years trouble free - even after some idiots pulled the plug on me whilst in use.

[qoute] Cortex can't write back files to a NTFS formatted drive. [/qoute]
    im using NTFS and been rock solid it even will create its own database, only found this out last week when i updated the files but forgot to do the database. it worked just fine.

[qoute] and just crashes when it see something that it does not like.
    [/qoute]

never had this problem, only files that wouldnt play were faulty ones. not had a crash since faulty unit was replaced.
    Good stuff Steve, my Cortex is good as gold, not showing its age whatever that means Jules ????????? just rocking on most weeks without a single issue-by that I mean I dont use it every single week---I did have a corrupted file ---once--my fault which did cause a hiccup but otherwise---no worries.

I dont understand all this reading stuff- I just connect to a Mapplins HD and off we go.

4 weeks to set up a database Welby---what is that all about?

Mine takes about 20 minutes.

Ah well a simple life--thats what I like.

Am I surprised a Laptop will read something one time and then NOT the next---nope--thats Computers.

PCs are a bit too bulky for me to heave around.

Thats why I use a dedicated music tool and never have any issues---

Touches wood---

CRAZY K