Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MDD Vaping Club (formerly "Smoking ban??? What smoking Ban?")

Steve, normally I respect what you post on here, even though I often disagree. On this one I'm totally undecided.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hey, I'm not trying to convert anyone. Just relating what I feel on the subject.

I've already had a go at one idiot on one of the forums who wanted to take it up as a method of weight loss. Sure, nicotine is supposedly an appetite suppressant, but this was a non-smoker!!!!!
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Hey, I'm not trying to convert anyone. Just relating what I feel on the subject.

I've already had a go at one idiot on one of the forums who wanted to take it up as a method of weight loss. Sure, nicotine is supposedly an appetite suppressant, but this was a non-smoker!!!!!
    If it works for you Steve, then good on you. I'm just going to sit here on this nice comfy fence for a while.

FWIW, I'm vigorously anti smoking, but I regard the ban as a bad thing. It wasn't well thought out.

So you don't use smoke or haze machines? because they must be disgusting too. I'm sure that you don't hold your breath at a gig when fog or haze are in the air. The ingredients in the e-juice are either food or pharmaceutical grade, something I doubt very much with smoke / haze fluid
    It's the nicotine I don't like, as I believe that's the main cause of staining (teeth, nails, walls etc). It's possibly just psychological.

Nope, it's the tar that does all that.

If you're worried about nicotine, then you'd best stay away from Tomatoes, Potatoes, Cauliflower, Peppers & Aubergines & other veg in the Solanaceae family of vegetables. As they all contain trace amounts.

Tests are currently being done, but early indications are that the nicotine is absorbed & there is none in the vapour.

Last edited by Corabar Steve; 09-04-2009 at 12:04 PM.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

If you're worried about nicotine, then you'd best stay away from Tomatoes, Potatoes, Cauliflower, Peppers & Aubergines & other veg in the Solanaceae family of vegetables. As they all contain trace amounts.
    And having just read about it for 20 minutes, are not at all harmful.

You don't let others posts silly things Steve.....

But a reasonable portion of any of the above will contain about as much nicotine as being sat in a room for a few hours getting passive smoke from somebody smoking tobacco. I'd be far more worried about all the other crap that comes out in tobacco smoke.

Nicotine in Vegetables
    Dr. Norman F. Childers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you spend three hours in a room with minimal tobacco smoke, you get about the same amount amount of nicotine in 5 oz. of potatoes, 8 1/2 oz. ripe tomatoes, 9 1/2 oz. cauliflower, and 1/3 oz. eggplant. Cooking decreases some of the nicotine. These results are appearing in medical journals (e.g. The New England Journal of Medicine) from the experimental laboratories of Dr. Edward Domino, University of Michigan and colleagues. Extensive research is needed with the food nightshades to determine the culprits causing the subtle deteriorating effects on the human body as well as livestock. The horticulturalists need to study the possibility of "breeding down or out" the poisonous culprits in the highly popular and addicting food nightshades.
    There is also nicotine in some varieties of Tea.

As I said above, it looks like there is little to no nicotine in the exhale from somebody using a PV. I'll post the full results when they become available

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    And having just read about it for 20 minutes, are not at all harmful.

You don't let others posts silly things Steve.....
    Post amended with smilie as that part wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously. (although it is part of the reason that potatoes are mildly poisonous in their raw state)

Sorry, I don't believe that first quote. Complete rubbish. You really think I'm going to believe some clap trap that some idiot American has written?

They come out with this rubbish all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Sorry, I don't believe that first quote. Complete rubbish. You really think I'm going to believe some clap trap that some idiot American has written?

They come out with this rubbish all the time.
    Now if I can just find a way to get this up on this fence, I should be OK when the bullets start flying.

There was also an article in the New England Medical Journal on the subject back in November 93 saying the same thing. I can only find snippits online, but if I can find the whole thing, I'll post a link for anyone interested.

Data from the above is shown below

The nicotine contents of vegetables
    After spending an extraordinarily long time figuring out exactly how much nicotine eggplants contained, I found a proper source and made this page to make Google more helpful in the future. The data is taken from the New England Journal of Medicine vol 329 p437

Vegetable Nicotine in ng/g g per 1µg nicotine
    Cauliflower .............16.8.......... 59.5
    Eggplant (Aubergine) 100.0........ 10
    Potatoes............... 7.1............ 140
    Green tomatoes ......42.8 ..........23.4
    Ripe tomatoes ........4.3 ............233.0
    Pureed tomatoes .....52.0.......... 19.2
    & a bit more from it here

There is considerable evidence that nicotine is present in certain human foods, especially plants from the family Solanaceae (such as potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant). Castro and Monji;` Sheen,-' " and Davis et al. have reported on the nicotine content of foods and drinks': We have been able to confirm some of their findings in our laboratory. Gas chromatography and mass spectroscopy-5 were used to determine the nicotine and cotinine content of common vegetables and black tea available from a local supermarket. The vegetables analyzed were tomatoes, potatoes, cauliflower, and green peppers. They were thoroughly washed with tap water, as is done for human consumption. All the vegetables were treated in a similar manner so that any contamination from the tap water would be equally applicable. The vegetables (including their skins) were diced, pureed in a blender, prepared," and assayed-. Cotinine could not be detected in any of the samples. Measurable amounts of nicotine were found in some of the vegetables (Table 1). Green peppers, black tea, and Ann Arbor city water had no detectable nicotine.

In indoor air, a low concentration of nicotine from tobacco smoke is about 1 gg per cubic meter. A person weighing 70 kg with a tidal volume of 4 ml per kilogram of body weight breathing 20 times per minute would exchange 5.6 liters of air per minute. If we assume that nicotine is completely absorbed from the lungs, it would take 179 minutes, or about 3 hours, of breathing in an environment with minimal smoke to absorb 1 ug of nicotine. Table 1 shows the amount of each vegetable by wet weight one would have to eat to obtain an amount of nicotine comparable to that of a passive smoker. Of course, the route of absorption is quite different in eating as compared with inhaling. Furthermore, if the vegetables are thoroughly cooked, the nicotine will diffuse into the cooking water and less will be ingested. It appears that the dietary intake of nicotine in nonsmokers may be of practical importance in the interpretation of the role of passive smoke inhalation when one is determining nicotine and cotinine levels in body fluids.

Edward .Domino M.D Domino M.D. Erich Hornbach, B.A. Tsenge Demana, Ph.D. University of Michigan Ann Arbor. M1 48109
    As I said, trace amounts.

Incidentally, the riper the tomato, the higher the nicotine content.

Might also explain why so many ex-smokers experience weight gain, they turn to chips for their nic fix

EDIT: Both Boots & Harrods are now selling PVs (I don't know which models though. Unlikely to be an EVO, which as far as I know is only available online)
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 08-04-2009 at 01:30 PM.