Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: W Audio Da 800 - Amplifier (500 Watt)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I'll answer the last questions

Being thrown in and out of a van (not literally) they seem to survive okay i.e. pretty robust.

Cooling is usually pretty efficient. I say usually because the air intake is at the top so if you put it in a flightcase, you have to leave at least a 1U gap at the top to allow for airflow. Put it in a 2U flight case and block the air intake and it will overheat.

Soundwise, the DA series lack bottom end (and probably aren't as powerful as they state for full range). I have done a side by side comparison with a Warrior DA and a more upmarket amp of about the same power (actually it was less) and the more upmarket amp was louder before it started to clip and gave much better bottom end (Warrior bass was more of a "phut phut" compared to a more upmarket amp giving a "boom boom").

They may well be fine for bedrooms or a small rig (depending on speaker efficiency, I probably wouldn't use one on its own for more than about 60 people). The one I used was very easy to clip without seeming to be very loud.

Im still debating if its more helpful then Maxs'
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Max

Nathan does have a valid point - reviewing an amplifier that you use on your home rig in your bedroom, on the MOBILE disco directory equipment review section is somewhat missing the point.

How does the amplifier fare being thrown in and out of a van several times a week?

How does it cope with hot sweaty venue, bad ventilation, etc?

How hot does it get when given a good caning?

Those are the sort of criteria that are relevant to someone reading a review with a view to purchasing a product to use on the road.

Tony
    I Agree with you Tony,
    But throwing it in and out a van should not happen, If you look after the equipment, it should last.

The issue with Flightcases and the Warrior, I truely believe that as well, I admit there is vents at the top.

This particular amp doesnt get hot really either.

The Bass is poor, infact there isn't any. I don't know whether it is the Amplifier or the Skytec SL15 Speakers ... Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by DJMaxG View Post
    But throwing it in and out a van should not happen
    Max, I didn't mean literally "throwing", I'm talking about it being placed or wheeled within a flightcase or amp rack, taking knocks and bumps as other racks are wheeled into it, vibration from being on the road... as opposed to sitting on a clean, warm melamine bedroom shelf , next to teddy

The Bass is poor, infact there isn't any. I don't know whether it is the Amplifier or the Skytec SL15 Speakers ... Any Ideas?
    I'd say they were perfectly matched. There's little point in using a decent amp to run a pair of skytecs, and likewise, not much point in hanging pro boxes off a prolight amplifier. Probably OK for bedroom use or very small house parties (well, after a couple of pints, or ten)

I have used two warrior da800 amps to power 2 x peavey pro 15 tops and 2 x peavey pro 15 subs. 1 amp for tops and 1 for the bass bins.
    I have been using this set up for over two years now and have not encountered any problems and feel the sound is great and has filled some big venues no problem.
    Have thought of changing to an amp that will power all 4 speakers but prefer to run two so that if there ever is a problem i can just switch to one and use the tops only.
    I would not hesitate to buy warrior products in the future.
    cheers
    den

Smile

I Agree with you Tony,
    But throwing it in and out a van should not happen, If you look after the equipment, it should last.

The issue with Flightcases and the Warrior, I truely believe that as well, I admit there is vents at the top.

This particular amp doesnt get hot really either.

Could be the skytec speakers, but the warrior amps are a budget range so don't expect them to light up venues either. And if they are only knocking out 250 watts at 8 ohms are probably underpowered to be running 15" drivers (I don't know the RMS output of the SL15;s).

I rely on a mix of Crown and QSC depending on my mood. Amps are a personal choice, but for me Warrior (imported prolight) doesn't give me the confidence I need to take the show on the road. Also I have heard them in action and they do come across a bit light on the bottom end.

I am new on hear so be gentle.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Sorry, a bit late in on this one.

Peter may make fun of my small 2 channel mixer, but :-

Has it EVER let me down? No, not once, not ever!

Does it sound better than Peter's old mixer? - Yes, proved when sound testing his Class-D's

Does it work with all applications? Yes, unlike Peter's £90 sound card

Is it easy to use? Yes, very.

Do I earn any less because of my small Mixer? Nope.

Peter, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    Sorry, a bit late in on this one.

Peter may make fun of my small 2 channel mixer, but :-

Has it EVER let me down? No, not once, not ever!

Does it sound better than Peter's old mixer? - Yes, proved when sound testing his Class-D's

Does it work with all applications? Yes, unlike Peter's £90 sound card

Is it easy to use? Yes, very.

Do I earn any less because of my small Mixer? Nope.

Peter, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts
    Has the cost of Justin's next PA hire just gone through the roof? Oh yuss.

And for those who don't know (cos Justin doesn't like the facts to get in the way of a good story ) I've now got an even bigger one! And it is better than Justin's Fisher Price one. The only thing it doesn't have is USB inputs. and I won't embarrass the lad by asking why he doesn't use the mic mute button on his mixer, or the three band mic EQ.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk