Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Powered MIXER or Active powered speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    *Goes off to look up 'Stygian' *
    Dark. Very dark. Impenetrably dark.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I would go with Powered Speakers, this is a more common option.

Powered Mixers / Mixer Amps aren't really targeted at the DJ Market, they are more for Live Bands etc.

Each Cabinet has it's own amplifiers. One for horn, and one for woofer.
    Therefore, there is less chance of them all blowing together, compared to one.

A Lot more DJs have these, than powered mixers, so more feedback / reviews available etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    See above. Answer "no". Cos it would alter the load on the internal amp, you see, and take it outside its design parameters, thus probably overstressing the remaining amp, and landing you deep in the brown stuff.
    I saw a set of active cabs on eBay a while ago (cheap chinese stuff) where they did actually have SpeakOn connectors on the cabs for running an additional cab from the internal amp in parallel with the internal speakers... Except of course the guy who owned them tried to run them like passive cabs and connected the SpeakOn connector to an amp - and blew the internal amp. RTFM before connecting I think!

Slightly off topic, butu I'm running with a couple of Kw amps at the moment and a pair of (un-named make - yes I'm embarrassed) tops and bins and I've been thinking what to do for the best. At the moment I'm tending towards a set JBL EON's or Mackies plus a 15" or 18" sub (Mackie or similar probably). At the risk of starting another small war - does anyone have any advice on what would be a good setup on a reasonably small budget? Btw, the amps are good so I could go with active or passive cabs (but would prefer to keep the whole rig as light as possible!)

All advice appreciated,

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I saw a set of active cabs on eBay a while ago (cheap chinese stuff) where they did actually have SpeakOn connectors on the cabs for running an additional cab from the internal amp in parallel with the internal speakers... Except of course the guy who owned them tried to run them like passive cabs and connected the SpeakOn connector to an amp - and blew the internal amp. RTFM before connecting I think!

Slightly off topic, butu I'm running with a couple of Kw amps at the moment and a pair of (un-named make - yes I'm embarrassed) tops and bins and I've been thinking what to do for the best. At the moment I'm tending towards a set JBL EON's or Mackies plus a 15" or 18" sub (Mackie or similar probably). At the risk of starting another small war - does anyone have any advice on what would be a good setup on a reasonably small budget? Btw, the amps are good so I could go with active or passive cabs (but would prefer to keep the whole rig as light as possible!)

All advice appreciated,

Julian
    Gets this one in before Excalibur

Go to Mansfield and listen to Class D---you might be pleasantly surprised

I was if your not looking to spend in the Mackie --RCF type price range.

Normally I would go for Peavey UL15s but the price is getting a bit silly these days

I will be giving the results of the Yorkshire Speakerfest Test occuring Sunday in errr Yorkshire

CRAZY K
    CRAZY K

I recently bought active cabs for the previously mentioned backup security - ie the likelyhood of 4 separate amps or 2 units going down at once is a lot this than one amp (which would then take out 2 speakers).

I have an active backup with a built in mixer to compensate if anything goes wrong.

Saying that, weve had 6 passive speakers, 3 amps and 2 mixers in the band, plus i had a powered sub which contained 3 amps - 2 for tops one for sub - and i've never had any trouble whatsoever.

Personally it would be a set of powered speakers for me - as that also allows you to upgrade your mixer if need be without losing the amp inside which would happen if you went for a powered mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ INDIE View Post
    is a lot this than one amp (which would then take out 2 speakers)..

You would have to be pretty clever to manage that---more likely amp fails or a speaker blows.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ INDIE View Post

Personally it would be a set of powered speakers for me - as that also allows you to upgrade your mixer if need be without losing the amp inside which would happen if you went for a powered mixer.
    Get it right first time---then you dont have to

CRAZY K