Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop repair

Default Laptop repair

I need one of my Vaio laptops repairing. It's quite a common fault - the power connector socket has gone all wobbly and won't power up all the time.

Thought I'd ask on here first to see if anyone does this kind of thing before I take it to a local shop.

Its a simple task to do darren, If your a dab hand with the old iron

ppentertainments

I have had similar problems with a Fujitsu Laptop. Although maybe simple there are a lot of sensitive parts inside so did not attempt the repair myself. I was quoted £80 for a repair at my local computer shop.

In true fashion though I ended up buying a new laptop TBH the laptop was about 6 years old and is now used in my office and has the power cable gaffa taped to the computer.

When I asked around, there was only the computer repair shops who would attempt this.

I first realised the fault when using the computer for DJ'ing and never realised the power was not connected and the computer was running off battery. Halfway through the Macarena with a bunch of 16 year olds the fault was noted (and computer kindly turned itself off) Hence,even though a laptop is only used for backup, I am constantly checking the power light.

Sorry Darren - just re-read the post and it's probably of no help to you at all

Quote Originally Posted by kjdiscos View Post
    Its a simple task to do darren, If your a dab hand with the old iron

You're having a laugh had to do it myself on a Toshiba once ,would never try it again , but I did do it.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondgeezer View Post
    You're having a laugh had to do it myself on a Toshiba once ,would never try it again , but I did do it.
    If you are good with a soldering iron, And have electronic repair knowledge its a simple task,

If not leave it to the pro's

If you are good with a soldering iron, And have electronic repair knowledge its a simple task,

I would say leave to the pro's unless you are one

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I have had similar problems with a Fujitsu Laptop. Although maybe simple there are a lot of sensitive parts inside so did not attempt the repair myself. I was quoted £80 for a repair at my local computer shop.

In true fashion though I ended up buying a new laptop TBH the laptop was about 6 years old and is now used in my office and has the power cable gaffa taped to the computer.

When I asked around, there was only the computer repair shops who would attempt this.

I first realised the fault when using the computer for DJ'ing and never realised the power was not connected and the computer was running off battery. Halfway through the Macarena with a bunch of 16 year olds the fault was noted (and computer kindly turned itself off) Hence,even though a laptop is only used for backup, I am constantly checking the power light.

Sorry Darren - just re-read the post and it's probably of no help to you at all
    Did you just whistle the tune for them ---in true showbiz style

CRAZY K

We're running on memory here from a long time ago, but some components must be soldered with a "dead" iron, to avoid damage. (That's an iron not connected to the mains). Would a laptop be in this category? I'd guess so.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

After reading the above post a name sprang into my mind.......................................NIGEL!! !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Babybob View Post
    After reading the above post a name sprang into my mind.......................................NIGEL!! !!!
    and after reading yours the name . . . . sprang to mind
    Last edited by kjdiscos; 23-04-2009 at 11:17 AM.