Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ads in yellow pages

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    The last one was £352.50 and is for and advert size which is slightly smaller than a cigerette packet. I am in the Fleet and Hampshire directory which is enough for me, hence the price. I must admit, I thought it was more than that, that's why I said it only takes 2 confirmed bookings to pay for it...it's actually just the one.

Maybe, your quote was for more than one directory?
    I know if I wanted to go into the Berkshire and Surrey directories too (which I don't) then the price would obviously inflate quite a lot.
    thank you very helpful as always
    that is a more sensible price imo
    Last edited by andyw; 01-05-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxxy View Post
    Phoned yell and cancelled the ad, but they tried talking me round £2600 is just too much for two coloured ads, id have to do quite a few gigs before i broke even on that, and my main nights are fri/sat even if i got lots of enquires i'd have to turn some down, the salesman phoned a couple secs later just had to be blunt i ended up putting phone down, sales is a different world. I'm gonna go with selected web sites to advertise.
    Thanks..
    I,ve learnt my lesson on this one
    Glad to hear you managed to get it cancelled.

£2,600 for one YP advert is way too steep in my opinion...that's my entire advertising budget (on about 45 different online listings sites) for 4 years!

Different books charge different prices depending on circulation, all I have is a free line entry, as even £300 - 500 for a quarter column imo is better spent elsewhere.

http://rates.yelldirect.com/advertisingRates.aspx

Mark, it's better spent elsewhere IF it doesn't work for you.
    Surely if you advertise with them for £300.00 a year and get a booking from it in the first month or so then it has paid for itself already? Then, in theory...the rest of the year is more or less free if you look at it that way and any bookings that come in are profit.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Only if you attribute the entire value of that gig towards advertising! A more sensible way to measure it would be to work out a realistic % of turnover that should be spent on advertising and go from there.

So say 5%.. if you spend £300 on an advert and for examples sake, charge £200, then you'd need to get 30 gigs for that ad to have been worthwhile.. doesn't seem such a good deal now, does it?
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Depends what your outlays and costs are overall though. If you have paid for your equipment and don't owe any money on it etc etc...

It works for me. It may not work for everyone and I understand that, hence the reason for the thread going off in this direction.

sorry to op if the thread is taking a different direction to the question,but i still think it is very relevant to contnue
    danno can you explain in more detail your 5% theory,how i see it if you did not advertise in yp,you might not get the enquiry so no booking.

I had a free listing in Yellow Pages for 1 year. Got one enquiry and literally hundreds of high pressure advertising calls. I was quite cute and listed my number but with my partner in crimes name so I knew where the enquiries were coming from. I would suggest they sell their lists to thrid parties. One even called me to say we had booked an advert with them and demanding payment. I would avoid yellow pages like the plague.

Plus all wedding co-ordinators etc do recomment you don't just pick a DJ number out of the yellow pages (you read it everywhere), so it is literally dead money.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk