Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mcgregor Mytek 210 system

Default Mcgregor Mytek 210 system

Had done a search on these and seems noone has done a review on them so thought id give it a go.

Taken from mcgregor site

The most popular Mytek system comprises of a compact, painted, birch ply sub cabinet with 2 x 10" bass drivers and a built in passive crossover. Mid /Hi sound distribution is via an 8" driver and HF horn, mounted into a separate trapezoidal painted cabinet. This truly outstanding combination provides good vocal clarity and a bass response superior to most 1 x 15" bass bins twice its size.

My opinion
    Have been using this system twice a week since december and have been impressed ever since.I chose these over the Mackie SRM450s after bad experience with overheating and cutting out.I didn't know if this system could handle a bigger room but it seems to cope fine.However as much as the system sounds great at any volume you just dont get the same ground shaking bass you get from a bigger system ( i have kept an active bass bin for this )

Advantages

Extremely lightweight
    Excellent sound quality
    Small and tidy ( hi-fi speaker size )

Disadvantages

Cabs chip easy without the covers

Overall

Cost is approx £999 for this system plus amp

If you have a £1k budget and are looking for a good all round lightweight system that will do most venues,then this would be a good choice.

If your looking for something that will shake the bar then consider the mytek 212 or 215 system however they start to get more bulky/heavier the bigger the subs.

Comments welcome folks

I had a demo of these and their bigger brothers at the local dealer...very impressive. They were also demo'd at DJSN last year

Same i'm an "active" boy though as these might swing me
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

I have heard these and to be honest I aren't a fan of them.
    The dealer turned them up th at loud they was distorting and tried to tell me that was only half the volume.

Personally I think you should have gone for the SRM450.

I've heard a similar system, with one sub powering two small satellites. It was very loud, and very good, UNTIL one pushed the sliders to the limit. I've got a small mixer amp which is very similar, fine until the last 10%.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I also heard these at DJSN.

The sound was rather good actually, but they were distorting when the demonstrator was showing off the speakers.

I would say because everyone else was playing music at silly levels it was hard to get a good listen of the speakers, but from what I heard, they were rather good when up close.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've heard a similar system, with one sub powering two small satellites. It was very loud, and very good, UNTIL one pushed the sliders to the limit. I've got a small mixer amp which is very similar, fine until the last 10%.
    Ah now I remember....
    They sounded quite good IMO.....but as Tom says....that bass was over the top....IMO.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Ah now I remember....
    They sounded quite good IMO.....but as Tom says....that bass was over the top....IMO.
    I had one demoed previously elsewhere. In more relaxed surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Ah now I remember....
    That bass was extremely annoying. Came from the Intimidation stand from 4x 12" folded horn cabs.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of bass but sorry, that sounded nasty. Trying to play 30hz or something silly when the cabs only go down to 45hz (I think) but in a group of 4, I think they could go down to 38hz but that's not the point.

Still sounded

Sure that wasnt the mixer?

Most mixers will give you a distored sound if you run them full in the red.Could have easily been someone maxing out the gains trying to get it to do a bit more.

Ive been running it with a CV-1800 amp and had it flat out a few times ( without going into the red ) and not a sinlge bit of distortion.System is rated at 1.3k and the amp is 1.8k so thats already pushing the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by LanarkshireDisco View Post
    Sure that wasnt the mixer?

Most mixers will give you a distored sound if you run them full in the red.Could have easily been someone maxing out the gains trying to get it to do a bit more.

Ive been running it with a CV-1800 amp and had it flat out a few times ( without going into the red ) and not a sinlge bit of distortion.System is rated at 1.3k and the amp is 1.8k so thats already pushing the limits.
    The clue's in the red bit. This was a self powered rig. My money's on the actual amp module, as I say I have a mixer amp with identical traits.