Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best way to get bass

Default best way to get bass

hi can someone tell me the best way to get low range out of my speakers without buying some subs,im using 2 skytec 15" for the tops and 2 15" class d for my bass would an active crossover make me get the right bass out of them as i am using an old system controller for them at the moment which has got a sub out on it.

If you want a cheap way to do it, Rip the crossover out the skytecs, Run them via the sub out and another amp,

Will sound ok, But dont expact major resulsts, Idealy get a pair of bins, But is usable until funds prevail to enable purchase of bins

You may find the skytecs do not have an internal crossover as they use piezo widehorns rather than compression drivers. In which case all they may have is a resister for protection of the top end.
    Dropping the mid range and keeping the bass and top end up high will give a clearer sound most of the time with the bass sounding lower but of course it is still dependant on your speakers being able to reproduce the sound.

A speaker managment system may help I know a few people on the forum use them for this. Or a bit of time with a decent 30 band graphic equiliser will help a lot.

Other tips for bass, speakers in corners sound bassier than usual. Bass is better on the floor than on stands. Also a dedicated sub like the sub -15 by DB can augment your system amazingly for not to much outlay. (seen one for £300 second hand recently)
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

i use a behringer graphic for the tops and a system controller with a sub out for the bass but it seems to destort a bit when i turn it up so im guessing the speakers are not up for it,thats why i need to no if an active crossover would be better for the bass and drop the bass lower so it sounds less destorted.

If bass is distorting you are most likely clipping it, either that or the signal is being degraded somewhere else in the system.
    You may find the spl of your speakers is rather low so it will struggle to get low bass with the applied power. The only way to fix this if this is the case is to buy speakers with a higher spl. Or get a more powerful amp if your current one is not able to provide the required power to your speakers.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

im using a skytec 1000w amp just for the bass speakers, it isnt clipping at all they sound ok when its at a lower volume but obviously the more people come in the louder you have to go which is when it starts sounding pants i just need it louder and more punchier.

Quote Originally Posted by markdj60 View Post
    im using a skytec 1000w amp just for the bass speakers, it isnt clipping at all they sound ok when its at a lower volume but obviously the more people come in the louder you have to go which is when it starts sounding pants i just need it louder and more punchier.
    What's the make and model of the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by markdj60 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    What's the make and model of the amp?
    I'd guess it's a Skytec 1000.
    http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=86&cat=40
    Must be good, it's PRO gear.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 14-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'd guess it's a Skytec 1000.
    I'll ignore that...

If it's this one then you are only getting 250w per channel at 8 ohms and probably not even that with that particular amp.

What are the Class Ds rated at?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I'll ignore that...

If it's this one then you are only getting 250w per channel at 8 ohms and probably not even that with that particular amp.

What are the Class Ds rated at?
    Oh no he's not! It says 250w at 4ohms. Even less at 8, obviously.

Who's going to suggest an active sub?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk