Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: best way to get bass

what wattage would you say go for then? what about an active crossover for my full range speakers then?

This thing with audio at gigs is, the more people who are on the dance floor, the more the sound is absorbed. This means the overall SPL is reduced.

What you really need are better amps and speakers.

Class-D speakers are not very efficient to begin with anyway, so they are never going to be loud enough unless you buy more of them. They use cheap chineese drivers which are not all that great, hence the poor max SPL.

As for the amp, If you can change this. Take a look at this amp. It may look cheap and tacky, but I can tell you that these amps do rock. They are hand made in the UK by one man (as far as I know). He has even teamed up with Void Acoustics to put some input in to a new line of of Void amp. See where I am going with this? lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MATRIX-UKP1300...742.m153.l1262

A better amp will send a better signal to the speakers, which will then should give out a better sound. Try not to skimp on amplification as cheap amps which contain cheap components will only fail quicker or not deliver the power you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    You need a bigger amp to get the best out of your speakers.
    Indeed yes.
    Note to Darren: Never doubt the wisdom of the elderly, Grasshopper. I belkiueve the lad is in fact using the very amp I suggested. You brushed aside my earnest and sagacious post, even though it was entirely accurate. My feelings are very hurt.

To young Mark: Full range cabs and subs are very different animals. Simply disconnecting the tweeters doesn't make full range into subs. Knowing the volumes of the respective cabs, I'd doubt if you could get the bass you want out of the 158's. We've had a dig at each other in thgis post, ( sorry Darren. )but in all seriousness, two points are inescapable.
    1) You need dedicated subs. Converted full range just won't hack it.
    2) You need an amp to drive them, probably a true 1000w RMS at 8ohms model.

We can give you all the help possible, but you won't achieve the desired effect without doing something like that. At the moment, all you'rer doing is thrashing an underpowered amp. Sorry.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Class-D speakers are not very efficient to begin with anyway, so they are never going to be loud enough unless you buy more of them. They use cheap chineese drivers which are not all that great, hence the poor max SPL.

Sorry to go slightly off topic.
    I know this is the wrong way round , but is there a replacement driver for the Class D cd15 subs , that improves the SPL.

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

You don't actually need a pair of subs - bass isn't very directional - a single one will work very well and is 1/2 the price! Suggest get one good quality sub and a separate amp which you can then use as a backup. If your mixer doesn't have a sub output you will need a separate crossover somewhere in the system. We run just one side of a numark dimension 3 into our single cerwin vega sub15, but you might find it better to use mono bridge mode if the amp has it depending on specs etc.
    Gofer, Roadie, Techie for www.rotodisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Suggest get one good quality sub and a separate amp which you can then use as a backup.
    The problem with that is that passive speakers are very rarely sold in singles.

well well well thanks very much fellas so really i need a new amp and a set of subs or just one is that what your saying? i got a really big hall to do soon so am gonna need to get something sorted out with not alot of cash grrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    You don't actually need a pair of subs - bass isn't very directional - a single one will work very well and is 1/2 the price! Suggest get one good quality sub and a separate amp which you can then use as a backup. If your mixer doesn't have a sub output you will need a separate crossover somewhere in the system. We run just one side of a numark dimension 3 into our single cerwin vega sub15, but you might find it better to use mono bridge mode if the amp has it depending on specs etc.
    True in itself, but as I often say, if you only intend to buy /can afford one, then active is way better. Usually higher SPL as well. Also avoids running your amp bridged, which in sone respects is "Advanced"

Unless you know where to go. The one I've just seen stands taller than me, so trwo could be regarded as overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by markdj60 View Post
    well well well thanks very much fellas so really i need a new amp and a set of subs or just one is that what your saying? i got a really big hall to do soon so am gonna need to get something sorted out with not alot of cash grrrrrrr
    In short yes. Active may be cheaper if you only get one. It will have the bonus of already being fitted with an active crossover, so you can run your tops out of it. If you can't afford to buy, what about hire? ( Or borrow. Or trial. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by markdj60 View Post
    hi can someone tell me the best way to get low range out of my speakers without buying some subs,im using 2 skytec 15" for the tops and 2 15" class d for my bass would an active crossover make me get the right bass out of them as i am using an old system controller for them at the moment which has got a sub out on it.
    It looks like you already have Bass, based on the 15" Class D.

Active Crossovers improve clearity, it has been proven before, and I have two DJs who will back it.

Have you heard of the BBE Sonic Maximizer?
    These are Great for cleaning the sound up.

Red face Speakers are rarely sold in pairs, are they ?

Most websites sell Speakers in singles, and offer a discount rate per a pair.

The only store I have seen so far that sells them singly, is Phase One.
    (So, It's the other way around )

I Guess you base it on shops, but most online retailers sell individually.
    Attached Images Attached Images