Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop DJ's are not real DJ's

Default Laptop DJ's are not real DJ's

Before you jump at me, let me speak.

I have just taken a booking for a wedding for next year.

When giving quotes to clients I say that I use original cd's as part of my reply. Seems to work for me as I am getting a nice steady flow of work coming in.

I get a reply and it says...

I am really pleased that you use original CD's, for me DJ's using a laptop aren't real DJ's.

Now I know that a laptop is just another tool for us to play our music, just in a different format. Bit like hard drive controllers.

Discuss.

I use virtual vinyl using a laptop AND my timecoded cds. I use the laptop to my advantage to create better more interesting mixes and sets.

For me its just using the best tools you have to be the best DJ i can be. Most of the DJs i know use Serato, Virtual Vinyl etc and say its the best thing they have done.

This is all using time coded vinyl and CDs so still DJing exactly the the same as CDs.

Iv bin on the laptop about 3 months now and LOVING it!
    Charlie
    DJ | SOUND | LIGHT | FX | HIRE & EVENT
    www.prodiscohire.com

It's just the impression that people have that the software does all the work, just like DJs just press play - you can't win, really.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

I would say that using a laptop and clicking play with the mouse, using NO external control equipment is a bad point.

I don't believe in using lower quality files than standard, such as 128kb MP3s, and are slightly weary about 320kb files.

If you are not using any sliders/faders, cue buttons etc, then it's not Really proper DJing is it. But, it's hard to determine where to draw the line.

My Post has just disappeared after clicking a button.

Where has the Edit Button gone ??? :@
    Last edited by Penfold42; 19-05-2009 at 10:01 PM.

its just the same when someone comes over to you on a saturday night at a wedding saying they are a dj and that you should play some drum and bass it will get everyone up! Then they say real djs use vinyl.

I dont play off my laptop but i have it plugged into channel three. It not only serves as a backup player but allows me to type in a few characters to find a song and therefore what cd its on.

Tom do you really use audio cds? Half the reason i got my denons was because they can play mp3 cds.....
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHeadCase View Post
    It's just the impression that people have that the software does all the work, just like DJs just press play - you can't win, really.
    True.

My personal opinion is also disapproving of laptops - I don't think they are suitably designed for playing out live music. Now I know that they do work reliably in some cases, but the fact is that they are simply not designed for live music - which is why they don't carry a soundcard which is up to the job.

I use CD and laptop. Best of both worlds that way. Someone comes up toyou and says can you play XXXXXXX? With the laptop it's found in 5 seconds!

Strange how some people look at it differently like that. You're not a proper DJ if you turn up with a laptop and you're not with the times if you arrive with 5 boxes of CDs.
    Steve

Sorry, but this is another subject that has been done to death.

I use a laptop, amongst other things - would you say I'm not a proper DJ?

I also used Technics 1210s for 15 years and then dual CD players before using the aforementioned laptops.

The 00DJ is designed to playback music, so bang goes that theory. It is also very easy to optimise a computer for it too. A lot of people 'in the industry' use Macs for music playback - is that not the same or very similar as using a laptop?

If people have the impression that the software does all the work, then what is the difference between playing a CD and playing an Mp3? Apart from looking for the CD and physically putting it in the machine, nothing. CD decks and software are both very sophisticated these days and have speed and pitch adjustment as well as effects etc.

When people are interested enough, they are amazed at what I use, that being a laptop running VDJ and a Denon HD2500 for main playout. I have never had negative feedback.

If you stand there 'letting the music doing the talking'....(aghhhhh) and not interacting, then perhaps people might think that laptop DJing is not 'proper' DJing.

However, if you can interact, use the mic appropriately and entertain, I doubt very much whether the general public are much interested in what you are using.

Proper DJ. Me? Of course not. I use a laptop.

"Laptop DJ's are not real DJ's" Correct.

My understanding on this is - DJ or entertainer or both.
    As Tom said it's just a tool to play music.....the DJ is the "real bit"

IMO
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Oh and by the way, for those that weren't around, the same arguments were to be had when people went from vinyl to CD. Exactly the same arguments.