Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can A Venue Do This?

Default Can A Venue Do This?

I've had a couple of enquiries lately for DJing at a local hotel, all the enquirers have said the same thing, ie that if they don't use the resident DJ the hotel charge an extra £100 to cover insurance of the private DJ.

I know (and you know) it's a scam because the hotel obviously make profit out of the difference between what they charge the DJ out at and what they actually pay him, but to my mind to justify it by claiming it is for insurance is going a step too far.

Firstly I have my own Public Liability insurance, and secondly they are in essence acting as an Insurance Broker by selling insurance, since they are not a registered Insurance Broker they are not allowed to sell insurance, and furthermore they do not provide anything in writing about what cover they actually provide.

I've tried talking to the Hotel Manager but he will not answer any of my questions so I'm thinking of calling Trading Standards, but just wanted your comments in case I'm missing something.

If I am being honest it's now become personal between me and the hotel (due to their attitude) and whilst I may not get a booking there I'd kind of like to stop them from doing this.

Thanks in advance

JTRS

As far as I'm aware, a venue can charge as much extra as they like for bringing in an outside DJ, and I don't think they even have to give a reason for this. They can just say "that's our policy"

At the end of the day, each hotel can adopt whatever policies & charges they like, although in your case is seems that their insurance reason seems a bit of a feeble excuse.

Thanks for your reply Rob, but I'm not so sure that a venue can adopt/apply whatever charges they want it, IF (and I use capitals for the IF) it could be classed as 'Unfair Trading'.

I've heard of cases where the Office Of Fair Trading will intervene when a Company tries to create a 'monopoly' situation, and to my mind by imposing a charge on a customer who doesn't use the resident DJ is doing just that.

If they had hidden behind the Room Hire clause (Ie we charge x for the room hire but waive that if you use our DJ) then I wouldn't have an argument, but that's not the case here.

JTRS

PS Like I said it's now become personal so if I can cause any hassle for the Hotel I'd do it because I really hate arrogant attitudes as displayed by the Manager

Unfortunately the venue can do what they like.

Afterall it's their business.

There is a venue in Nottinghamshire (Remains nameless but very very nice) that if you want your own Dj you have to pay the full fee for theirs which the last time I read about it was £450
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    Unfortunately the venue can do what they like.

Afterall it's their business.
    Hmm so the Hotel doesn't have to abide by current legislation then?

I'm sorry but I disagree that 'a venue can do what they like'.

I would suggest that because venues have been allowed to get away with practices like this for so long unchallenged that most people now assume they can do what they like, which isn't the case.

JTRS

Its the venue's property they can charge what they like, Its a little extreme i agree but they want to use the resident to make more money,

I would just exclude the venue

Quote Originally Posted by kjdiscos View Post
    Its the venue's property they can charge what they like, Its a little extreme i agree but they want to use the resident to make more money,

Unfortunately I don't get a chance to "exclude it" as most B&G's won't pay double money.

When some have budgets of £200 there's no way they going to pay £450 + whatever I cost

And don't say that if they're having big posh venues they can afford it. I had a phone enquiry for Hassop Hall and they baulked at my quote. Once I got chatting a bit more to her it turns out their budget was indeed £200

For those that don't know Hassop Hall let's just say it ain't cheap
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by kjdiscos View Post

They can charge what they like IF (and only IF) they can justify the charges, otherwise Trading Standards can be called in, under the unfair business terms.

I've said it a few times now, it's not a matter of excluding the venue, it's a point of principal. If they get away with doing this and more and more venues adopt it then it's bad (very bad) for the mobile DJ, however, if they get publicly rebuked and stopped from doing it then other venues won't follow suit.

JTRS

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    Unfortunately I don't get a chance to "exclude it" as most B&G's won't pay double money.

When some have budgets of £200 there's no way they going to pay £450 + whatever I cost

And don't say that if they're having big posh venues they can afford it. I had a phone enquiry for Hassop Hall and they baulked at my quote. Once I got chatting a bit more to her it turns out their budget was indeed £200

For those that don't know Hassop Hall let's just say it ain't cheap
    Nice venue that

Quote Originally Posted by JoinToReadSucks View Post
    They can charge what they like IF (and only IF) they can justify the charges, otherwise Trading Standards can be called in, under the unfair business terms.
    A good justification would be to give a £100 discount on the room hire price, when a client also buys the entertainment from the venue.