Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Laptop or PC......oh no what have is started!!!

Default So Laptop or PC......oh no what have is started!!!

Im in the market to go digital with my mobile disco.

1st choice.... Laptop or Desktop

What do you prefer?

Im thinking laptop is easier as smaller and better to carry.Desktop bit bulky and need some sort of rack mount which will cost even more BUT better to work with as can upgrade and less likely to overheat?
    So im thinking laptop at the mo with 160gb hard drive and some sort of usb controller with built in soundcard (Behringer 3000 or Hercules RMX)
    Last edited by Solitaire Events Ltd; 05-06-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Hi

Please read this http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.u...ad.php?t=11711 and also please be aware of the 'no text talk' rule on the forum.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by notroubleclubber View Post
    Im in the market to go digital with my mobile disco.

1st choice.... Laptop or Desktop

What do u prefer?

Im thinking laptop is easier as smaller and better to carry.Desktop bit bulky and need some sort of rack mount which will cost even more BUT better to work with as can upgrade and less likely to overheat?
    So im thinking laptop at the mo with 160gb hard drive and some sort of usb controller with built in soundcard (Behringer 3000 or Hercules RMX)
    Personally I would look at USB controllers as well--dedicated music playout.

Although some laptops are dedicated im told---but costly.

CRAZY K

I was thinking of buying a budget laptop (£400 from catalog) and installing my own software on it and using it just for discos. I already have tried and used VDJ so quite happy using that then using a usb controller to control everything and just using the laptop really for a monitor.
    CrazyK - Bottom of my post states what usb controllers i intend to use.is that what you mean?
    Solitaire - Edited and introdiced myself - apologies.

I think what Crazy K is talking about is a Midi/Media controller such as a Denon HD2500 or Numark D2 etc

Quote Originally Posted by notroubleclubber View Post
    I was thinking of buying a budget laptop (£400 from catalog) and installing my own software on it and using it just for discos. I already have tried and used VDJ so quite happy using that then using a usb controller to control everything and just using the laptop really for a monitor.
    That's not a bad budget £400, have a look at things like the Cortex HDC range but if it's laptop you want then no problem.

There are some bargains to be had if you look hard enough
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Yeah, have looked into using a "all in one" unit that has hard drive built in but id prefer to stick with what ive been using which is Virtual DJ.Ive been using that with a desktop pc with no problems but thought the desktop is a bit large to move about and also would have to cough up for a rack mount unit for it which im finding hard to find.- Hnece looking for a laptop instead.

Well whichever way you do go (and there are pros and cons for each) don't forget to leave a little in the budget for one of these beauties

oh yeah, thats sorted!

Whatever you go for, just make sure its got a hell of a lot more than the minimum specs.

I bought an Acer (wouldnt have generally touched one) laptop for running Serato Scratch Live off and i made sure i had 4 times as much ram, double the clock speed etc etc. Plus its dedicated to running tha, so has been stripped down to the bare OS and is as stable as its going to get for Microshaft
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.