Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Once over

But just because you aren't getting the money you ask for, it doesn't mean others aren't. There are people round here who say they can't get more than £200 too and in all other areas of the country no doubt.

You are no doubt correct in that assumption but I can only go on my experience here and what I have charged and been baulked at when I mention what I deem to be a fair price.

I only hope my performances will earn me a decent name around the area and the fact that I am trying to offer a professional service but it all takes time as we all know.

Anyway i'm going home....sorry if I offended anyone or stirred up some trouble but as you know the written word does not always portray what can be said in speech.

Night all....

I'm not offended and yes, you are right about the written word.

ppentertainments

Can't help but wade in here.

As far as refreshments go I can't see anything wrong with adding the request to your T&C's. I personally don't but it is personal preference only. When I offer my photography and disco package then yes, it is stipulated that light refreshments are required, usually helping myself to the buffet. I think the main problem is that in this industry we are AFRAID to ask. I have no hesitation in asking when undertaking photography yet do when entertaining. To put this into context my basic photograpy package (which is the one I usually sell) includes 3 hours of photography and cutting of the cake. A disco package is normally about 7 hours work

Pricing - the great debate. Babybob, Darren is correct, there are DJ's earning good money everywhere in the country. Not getting into arguments, but I believe I live in one of the poorest areas in the country, yet myself and a handful of others in the area do go out for decent money.
    How - the way you market yourself and having the confidence to ask what you are worth are the biggest factors. I will agree with you (and probably get shot down for it ) that in certain areas there are fewer opportunities and the 'average' price will be lower, but nevertheless there are still plenty of opportunities for higher paid work if you work at it and market correctly.

One thing you touched on was travelling. This is where you need to make your decision about taking higher paid gigs. If you do live in a poor area, travel out of that area. Last year I concentrated on my local area and was geting paid peanuts, yet after advice from a couple of local DJ's started travelling further. Yes it is a longer day but the money makes it worth it (so long as you take your time and fuel into account) and lets face it, what else would you be doing ?? As an example, I have a gig in Edinburgh this Saturday 120 miles away. An extra 4 hours on my day and £££ for diesel BUT I am earning good money, even more than the £400 you quoted earlier. I could take this, or go out for £60 in a local hotel or club.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    As far as refreshments go I can't see anything wrong with adding the request to your T&C's.
    I ummed and aahed about this for a while and eventually went with

"If your event requires the DJ to play for more than 3 hours without a break, we respectfully request that soft drinks are offered."

Since doing this, I've been inundated with drinks at most gigs as it's obvious the organiser has instructed someone (best man usually) to make sure we're watered and yet no-one has queried it or even mentioned it at prep meetings. Whether anyone's taken umbrage and not booked as a result I've no idea but my non-returned booking pack stats are level.

Darren is correct, there are DJ's earning good money everywhere in the country.
    I certainly DO live in one of the areas with lowest average earnings and highest unemployment etc. and whilst my headline prices are certainly a bit lower than just over the water, my actual earnings are very respectable due to the level of service offered and willingness to get involved in lots of different aspects of a celebration turning the booking from 'just the disco' into an all-day multi-faceted affair.

It's rare that I take much less than £300 NETT from a wedding booking and on a couple of occasions this year we've nudged £1k.

If you do live in a poor area, travel out of that area.
    Rather difficult for me, and introduces an unacceptable risk. Although the ferries are only stopped by bad weather a few times a year, they're regularly stopped or seriously delayed by "operational reasons" and with Saturdays being the main changeover days for holidaymakers there's little chance of altering travel arrangements at short notice.

Negating the risk means overnight stays and this stuffs the overall package cost.

On the matter of the supply of drinks! I had a customer say to me tonight "Yes that's not problem about the drinks." I was not expecting them to come out with that! So yes you can put it in and its works!