Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lappies - advantages/disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    In the opinion of one who has had the benefit of months of experience with these devices ( it's been a very steep learning curve, and made easier by good advice given on here! ) The only sensible way of operating mp3's is HDC plus Lappy, or HDC plus HDC plus Lappy as an adjunct. Both can operate from the same media, thus building in interchangeability/backup.
    Some of us have such blind faith in our product that we just use the HD controller with a HD and keep the spares close by, with a Mini disc ready in the extremely unlikely event of failure.

Modern technology certainly has benefits

CRAZY K

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Diddy Davies View Post
    I've been considering for a while going over to Lappy DJ'ing (currently use 2 x Denon DNS1200's so use MP3's).
    Did you use CDs, or connect a flash drive or HDD up ?

What advantages (and disadvantages) are there to using a Lappy as opposed to the Denon's?
    Realisticly, you will still need something to control the PC Software with, if you want to mix properly , something like the DNS1200's in MIDI Mode, rack mount unit, or a desktop control such as the Hercules RMX.

The ones i see are:

Smaller, lighter package - What about control hardware?
    greater detail for searching tracks due to bigger screen. depends on size
    PC's crash - Yes, that's why you should get a decent processor (Core duo 2 or above), and carry backup sources
    Also, what size screen can you get away with? would a 13" do the job or not really?
    That depends on your eyesight, and what you are comfortable with. Remember the screen is only really for monitering purposes, and native support should provide track information on the MIDI Controller's screen ... depending on which one you choose to get. (Denon HC4500 does)

Anyone using a MAC? how do you get on with it?
    I have heard that loads of DJs now prefer MACs, but it is easily possible to get such results by using identical components in a PC.

You are paying for the 'Apple' name, rather than the components.

Quote Originally Posted by FDDJ View Post
    Again agreed!

From next week my playout case will house a Denon DN-HC4500 controlling OtsAV and a Denon DN-HD2500, which will have a range of my most requested tracks on board and will also control a set of DN-D4000 CD decks.

So I can play from the laptop, the laptop via the HC4500, the HD2500 or the CD decks via the HD2500 and should either the HC4500 or the HD2500 fail I can swap them around as they both have built in soundcards and both can control the CD decks.

If the laptop fails I still have plenty of cover, all in one box.
    And if the mixer fails?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    And if the mixer fails?
    http://kurtatdisney.files.wordpress....phone-5-11.jpg
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

As a sceptic of the highest order, I would be very wary of using a laptop as primary playout, and refuse to use one as sole playout.
    Same here.

As you pointed out Rob i've posted very little, but have read and learnt a lot. So thanks. Nothing wrong with repeating yourself.
    My pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Some of us have such blind faith in our product that we just use the HD controller with a HD and keep the spares close by
    That also describes me.

And if the mixer fails?
    Then Steve will get out his back up console which he bought from a very nice guy in Worcester Park.

Try an external soundcard and you will notice the difference. The ones built in to lappies are notoriously crap.
    Except the new Toshibas and Dells that have onboard sound by Harman Kardon (got to be really careful you don't get those names mixed up!). I've used the new Toshibas and they deliver absolutely fantastic sound. It's the future!

There are soome kicking about now with a Harman Kardon soundcard, so reckon that'd be ok. Even a Soundblaster is a big improvement from built in believe me.
    Darn! Beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I have indeed, and when you've done around 18,000 posts I'm sure you'll find you ALSO repeat things you've posted before!

I noticed that despite being a member for over a year, the OP has only averaged one or two posts a month. This suggests to me that he doesn't spend much time on the forum, in which case he's unlikely to have seen my previous post on this subject, which is why I posted my opinion again. I was trying to be helpful.
    I would disagree with that comment, Rob.

When I first joined the forum, I used to view the posts and learn a lot from the good folk on here long before I started getting more involved in the community and adding my own posts and comments.

Just because someone doesn't have a high post rate doesn't mean that they don't regularly visit the forum and read the posts.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I would disagree with that comment, Rob.

When I first joined the forum, I used to view the posts and learn a lot from the good folk on here long before I started getting more involved in the community and adding my own posts and comments.

Just because someone doesn't have a high post rate doesn't mean that they don't regularly visit the forum and read the posts.
    Fair enough, but the OP has posted again, thanked me for my post & said there's nothing wrong with me repeating myself...which suggests that he didn't see my previous post where I said the same thing a while back.

I'm sure most of the regulars have repeated themselves at some point anyway, and I agree with the OP that there's nothing wrong with that. After all, members are coming & going on a daily basis, and I'm sure not all members read every post...even I don't, and I probably spend more time here than most!

I've just bought an sdj2 as a backup. but will probably end up using it as the primary as its bomb proof !! And then use my macbook using megaseg as a backup, with the griffin external sound card.
    Paul Arnett

NADJ Chairman
    NADJ Homepage

And if the mixer fails?
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Then Steve will get out his back up console which he bought from a very nice guy in Worcester Park.

Or I can use the mixer within OtsAV or the spare Behringer UB802 I carry...

You've just got to have critical back up and audio is the most critical in my book.

As an old DJ I used to know often told me, "people don't dance to lights".
    Exit stage left...

i think its good to take a laptop as the primary or back up playout system because they are so easy to carry. As for the laptops not being designed for that purpose....... as long as they have the spec required to run smoothly the djing/dmx software that you want to run then it doesnt really matter.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk