Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding DJ's 16 & Under?

OK, jokes first: Steve and Callum, how funny that was. Laugh? I thought I'd never start.
    Steve, my son attended a wedding just like that recently, in my opinion, it's somebody not doing his job properly. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I'm with you on this one, I don't doubt for a second that they're 16 year old DJs out there, who DO have the required maturity and ability to handle such an important event, but IMO they are few and far between. I think the larger and more formal an event is, the more experience and gravitas is required of the MC/DJ to pull it off. The problem with experience is, until you have it, you don't realise it was missing in the first place, and I've seen many young DJs who don't know their limitations.(and a few older ones too) The same can be said about corporate events as well as weddings, few young DJs will have the required experience to do the job professionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by daz226 View Post
    surley that is the beauty of a forum like this the wealth of information shared on here helps the young and old go in the right direction. you only need to look at Charlie ( example ) when he first came on here he was posting 10 a hour trying to get information and learn now 18 months later look at what he is doing and the equipment he now has. he is 16 going on 32 in terms of what he has acheived so far and like has been said in another post if he spends time with a more experienced dj he will go on to learn more and improve to the point where no booking would phase him. The future of the mobile DJ is in the hands of these young dj's and i welcome that with open arms providing the customer is happy and the guests have a great night then no matter the age of the dj the job was done
    Pete and Daz, total agreement. In particular, Charlie is a shinng example of someone who has listened to the good advice he has received, and quite a few on here might do well to follow his example.

The problem is that there are so many variables. You could have a young DJ who is old beyond his years, as Charlie seems to be with his musical choices ( sorry mate, it really tickles me ), or you could have the over-the-hill DJ desperately trying to recapture his lost youth, getting all down and trendy with the Yoof. ( Hmmmmm, good job there's nobody like that on here, eh? )

I really think this in particular is the one scenario where you can't generalise at all. All I will say is that experience, enthusiasm and knowledge are priceless. Smugness, weariness and bad attitudes are unacceptable.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I would have no problem with a sixteen year old doing my wedding as I would have seen the person before the event on a client meeting....all/any issues would have been sorted then.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

No one as ever batted an eyelid for me. I once had a DJ (guest at the wedding) ask me how I got such a full dance floor. he told me he was shocked.

but i have heard of young a DJ not knowing what hes doing. (music wise), (told from a family member)
    CJ-Entertainment
    Your Professional DJ Service
    Tel: 0771 546 1992

What about older people that start up with the discos that have never done them before?

Is that any different to a young lad? Although an older dj may know what was popular in say 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s but not fully clued up on the latest chart music. Whereas a younger dj should know this quite well.

Not saying thats always the case but just something to think about as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Javlingames View Post
    I did weddings on a weekly basis and my professionalism was never questioned. Fact
    Yeah, they probably spoke to your mum, you considered yourself a professional at 16 years old?

Likes a bit of moleing visualdjmax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJS Discos View Post
    I don't see a problem if they are competant and mature.

I'm 18 and when I turn up to a function or wedding, people are usually shocked and always ask me how old I am.

Once I get chatting to them though, they chill out.
    I stiil get that and I am 36!

Likes a bit of moleing visualdjmax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    This really depends on the maturity and skills of the DJ. I started DJing at 15 but can't really remember when I did my first wedding. What I do know is that whoever booked me would have been through a personal referal or recommendation, which is a lot different than getting an internet booking where the people booking don't know the DJ.
    Exactly the same as. Everything was word and mouth back in the dark ages.

I don't do weddings, but would like to eventually. I know a couple of DJs from around here that are my ages that do weddings a couple of times a month..
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Bellshill View Post
    Yeah, they probably spoke to your mum, you considered yourself a professional at 16 years old?
    Yes, thats why i was out every weekend doing weddings and repeat bookings, i think that speaks for itself. And if they did make negative comments to my mum i can be sure that she would have told me so i could improve, i come from a family of entertainers and we realise that feedback is important. I think you are being ageist

If Mummy or Daddy "dropped off" their 15 year old son or daughter to do a job, I would imagine this would cause a PLI issue, as my understanding is that an insurer requires a policy to be in the name of an adult, and for said adult to be in attendance at the event. I may stand corrected, however I do not believe a child can take out a PLI policy in his/her own name.