Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: Ebay link or not?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • No linking to ebay

2 5.56%
  • Ebay Link only after the post has been "live" 7 days

19 52.78%
  • Not bothered about ebay links

15 41.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For sale items and ebay links

I went for "Not bothered"

TBO if I want to buy anything I go straight to ebay first. You get ebays Dispute centre aswell if anything goes wrong with the sale.
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

Quote Originally Posted by FDDJ View Post
    I think it is entirely up to the individual how they choose to sell a product and any restrictions on using eBay should I wish to do so will stop me from offering items for sale here.

This just seems to me like people think as a member of this forum I owe you in some way to offer you a better deal on anything I might want to sell. Well, newsflash for you, I don't.

I want to sell things for the best return and if I am restricted from doing so here then you won't get to see what I have to offer.

Shame really, I have a garage full of great stuff...
    The original idea was put forward (by me) Steve because there has been alot of links to ebay for "Buy It Now" items. Do you not agree that if you can get a sale on here, without paying ebay a listing fee or commision for the same amount as the "Buy it now" its worth it.

Granted if you just want to place it in an auction and see what it goes for then all the best with it. But why miss up on the oppotunity to not pay ebay if you have a price in mind?

It wasnt a "problem" in my head, just a suggestion so that people can get the best possible price. If you sell something for £1000 on ebay, you dont get the whole grand. Sell it on here and its yours to keep.

Yes you have the dispute centre on ebay, but we have rules in place and ive never had a issue selling or buying on here before.
    Last edited by Dynamic Entertainment; 21-07-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Do you not agree that if you can get a sale on here, without paying ebay a listing fee or commision for the same amount as the "Buy it now" its worth it.
    In theory yes, but most people with any sense go for a lightly higher "Buy It Now" figure to cover the eBay and PayPal costs.

Granted if you just want to place it in an auction and see what it goes for then all the best with it. But why miss up on the oppotunity to not pay ebay if you have a price in mind?
    As I said from where I am sitting it appears to me that most people do offer it here first then resort to eBay if it doesn't sell.

Yes you have the dispute centre on ebay, but we have rules in place and ive never had a issue selling or buying on here before.
    I have been conned before, albeit on another forum, it does happen and cost me over £100.
    Exit stage left...

Quote Originally Posted by FDDJ View Post
    I have been conned before, albeit on another forum, it does happen and cost me over £100.
    So you have good reason to be a bit apprehensive. Thats fair enough then.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

So you have good reason to be a bit apprehensive. Thats fair enough then.
    I'm a bit more cautious now sure but I still usually offer things on the forums first before resorting to eBay, and naturally the extra costs will be reflected in my target price.

I just don't understand all the fuss about how people choose to offer items for sale.

Surely it should be as simple as sellers offer items as they see fit and buyers can choose what they are or are not interested in for whatever reason suits them?

Seems to have worked OK for centuries to me...
    Exit stage left...

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Not so. All members would need to do is add an additional post (with the link) to their currently active 'For Sale' thread. There would be no need to contact a mod to edit and no need to make a duplicate topic.
    In that case, if the "link allowed after 7 days" rule was brought in, the first post in the thread would just list the item foir sale & the asking price.

A week later, you're saying the OP could do another post in the same thread giving the ebay link.

Therefore, people would see all the details in the first post of the thread, but would then have to scroll down through a week's worth of replies to get to the new post containing the link.

Surely it would make more sense to have the link inserted into the first post after the 7 days had elapsed?

The original idea was put forward (by me) Steve because there has been alot of links to ebay for "Buy It Now" items. Do you not agree that if you can get a sale on here, without paying ebay a listing fee or commision for the same amount as the "Buy it now" its worth it.
    I fully appreciate that.

Having read the thread, I now feel there should be one simple rule: either links are allowed at any time, or they are not.

The 7 day rule is complicated, and the situation of scrolling through the replies looking for the link is not ideal.

While we're on the subject, I also think adverts in the "for sale" section should only be available to supporters. After all, at the moment non-supporters can gain by selling their items completely free of charge. Why shouldn't they give a little something back to assist with the forum's running costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I must say I totally agree with that, I can't see any benefit to the members of the forum that will be gained by placing any extra restrictions on listing items for sale, only extra work for the mods. If I was looking for a quick sale, and was forced to choose between eBay or the forum, eBay would win every time and forum members (who may well be looking for what I have on sale) would miss out on the opportunity of a sensibly priced item, where's the benefit in that? At the moment I would want to know if a member had a 'martin detonator' for sale, weather it's on eBay or not, is of no consequence, it's the price/condition that actually matter, not how I get to hear about it. Personally I don't think there is a problem, and introducing unnecessary restrictions will be an own goal.
    Agreed. I think buyers and sellers will lose out if ebay links are not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    A week later, you're saying the OP could do another post in the same thread giving the ebay link.

Therefore, people would see all the details in the first post of the thread, but would then have to scroll down through a week's worth of replies to get to the new post containing the link.

Surely it would make more sense to have the link inserted into the first post after the 7 days had elapsed?

The 7 day rule is complicated, and the situation of scrolling through the replies looking for the link is not ideal.
    LOL, oh dear! If people are interested in the item for sale, I wouldn't imagine it's too much trouble for them to read the whole thread to find the link (if applicable). If that's too much trouble for them then I fear online forums are not the best place for them to spend their time.

While we're on the subject, I also think adverts in the "for sale" section should only be available to supporters. After all, at the moment non-supporters can gain by selling their items completely free of charge. Why shouldn't they give a little something back to assist with the forum's running costs?
    To be honest, I hate the idea of 'nickel & diming' our members for functions on the forum. As it stands, the supporters contributions are completely voluntary, and I'm not too keen on removing any of the main forum sections to non contributors.

I fully appreciate that.

Having read the thread, I now feel there should be one simple rule: either links are allowed at any time, or they are not.

can't see anything complicated in it rob ,as i said earlier i am not bothered, if i am interested in something i will look if not it is easy to click the mouse and move on, if your worried about finding the link and this this does get adopted then maybe when the link is put up the thread gets closed and the link will always be at the end of the thread. as i say it don't bother me buying directly off someone through here or through ebay because they pay for the fees not me, the only thing that annoys's me is when items get put up with no price or guide

LOL, oh dear! If people are interested in the item for sale, I wouldn't imagine it's too much trouble for them to read the whole thread to find the link (if applicable). If that's too much trouble for them then I fear online forums are not the best place for them to spend their time.
    I didn't say it WAS too much trouble to scroll through the thread to find the link...merely that it would be BETTER if the link appeared in the first post of the thread.

To be honest, I hate the idea of 'nickel & diming' our members for functions on the forum. As it stands, the supporters contributions are completely voluntary, and I'm not too keen on removing any of the main forum sections to non contributors.
    That's fair enough.

It's no skin of my nose, as I only pay £1 a month to the forum & many people pay nothing at all...but I know the forum owners have to pay a lot more than that to keep it going.

However, If they are happy to carry on funding the forum & don't mind people selling stuff without making any contribution, that's fine!