Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Ramping up song intros'

Default 'Ramping up song intros'

In the radio industry, they use a term called ramping up a song intro, this basically means talking on the mic while the intro of a song is playing in the background and to finish talking just as the lyrics on the song cuts in. Takes a lot of practice and if nailed, to me (IMO) the microphone technique and presentation sounds nice and polished and although I'll be running a disco, I think ramping up a song intro for a roadshow is just as important. The audience may not notice but I really do think presentation will shine a little more.

Does anyone ramp up song intros, getting the timings right? I've seen a number of disco roadshows who sound good on the mic but when they 'crash the vocals', it doesn't sound good IMHO.

I think the timing is crucial, I think the correct timing helps the continuity flow even better. I wont be using the mic a great deal and would probably ramp up 5 - 10 songs in the evening, all depends how much the client wanted me to talk down the mic.

Neil M.
    Last edited by Starlight; 11-08-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Does anyone ramp up song intros, getting the timings right? I've seen a number of disco roadshows who sound good on the mic but when they 'crash the vocals', it doesn't sound good IMHO.
    Tried it, got it wrong - might try it again in the future once I've had a bit more practice

I'm not a great talker anyway, to use the phrase on Charlies website "I prefer to let the music do the talking". On an average night I'll do the bare minimum introduction, invitation for requests, any announcements (happy birthday's, etc), announce the last 30mins, announce the last song and then do a final thank you and good night. I've got into a bit of banter with customers on a few occasions, but it's rare (Kids parties are different of course - you won't get me off the Mic at them).

Julian

Works better with some songs than others and you get to know the ones that work- together in electric dreams, give it up by KC and the sunshine band.

(I've had) The Time of My life is a good one which has a lull about a minute from the end- I use this to say my goodbyes.....

I've always done it. Maybe because I wanted to be a radio presenter when I was younger.

There are some intros that I'll regularly chat over, especially songs that are first up or following a swift genre change.

I'm quite proficient at ad-libbing should I occasionally mis-cue or forget about a long intro due to being hassled by punters etc. and not having time to correct in the headphones before starting the track.

It's one of those value-add tools you can't get from an iPod

Did radio presentin at uni and came across this and realised i did it at gigs naturally.
    Helped a lot by PCDJ VJ wave form display as i can see when vocal is low or what type of intro it will have wthout actually listening to it!

Agree that it is a great technique when it works but does take practice and a knowledge of the tracks to see when you can talk etc
    ATR The X-Faders | Mobile DJ's in Essex
    Billericay & Surrounding Areas
    http://www.thexfadersdj.co.uk | Facebook | Twitter

As a Radio Presenter, I sometimes end up doing it without realising as it's just natural (I don't mean to sound big headed). If you don't have a background in radio or don't use the mic much, then it can be quite a hard thing to do, as you have to make sure you can say what you want to say whilst making sure you have enough time so you don't crash the lyrics.

As Mr X-Fader said, PCDJ is good for showing you the wave form. I use Virtual DJ so it's pretty similar and does the same for me. On the radio we use a program called Jazler, which has a countdown on it to show you how long you have until the lyrics start.
    Last edited by SC Events; 11-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

I didn't think this would be some kind of 'extra' for a DJ - I thought all pro DJs did this?

You need to know the structure of songs, and if you don't, you need to listen on headphones before you play the track.

Does that sound over-obvious and patronising? I don't mean it to be, but I was shocked enought to discover that some DJs don't even bother with headphones, so I don't think anything's a given anymore!

The master at this was 'Dr Fox' back in the eighties on Capitol Radio...he was spot on everytime, I almost always get it right but have to admit to screwing up now and then.....
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

I think to be a good dj one of the skills you need to have is a good memory about the tracks you have in your bag. Not only what records are what but also what the intro is like where the big vocal kicks in etc....

I like to get on the mic every so often even if its to say something generic like "playing the best party tunes tonight make sure you request your favourite track" etc..

Good for last song of the night and sometimes affects what song I do finish on.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk