Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Ramping up song intros'

I've done it from time to time...certain songs have an intro that is just begging to be talked over.

I used I'm Not Alone by Calvin Harris as a first track a few gigs back and as you know the intro is slow and dragging a bit...so played it low, with the mid dropped to minimize the vocal, then managed to end my intro just as the big dancey bit kicked in. I've also Looped the piano intro of Scissor Sisters for a few bars at last years Xmas do's whilst I welcomed each company, worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I use Traktor Pro and will often create a 4 or 8 bar loop just before the vocals start. A good example is Get the party started by Pink. I can then talk over this loop as long as I want and click out of it whenever I want.
    I sometimes do that too, 'Sugababes - Push The Button' is another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    I've done it from time to time...certain songs have an intro that is just begging to be talked over.

I used I'm Not Alone by Calvin Harris as a first track a few gigs back and as you know the intro is slow and dragging a bit...so played it low, with the mid dropped to minimize the vocal, then managed to end my intro just as the big dancey bit kicked in.
    Hmmm... I know what you mean about the intro, it is horrendous, and I often skip it completely if possible. However, I do not agree with making announcements over the top of vocals - I always aim for the instrumental sections, although I know it isn't always possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Doing it naturally is the best way You won't sound forced and it will sound cool. Give this man a round of applause! Jazler is a fantastic programme isn't it I've not personally used it yet just seen a radio presenter using it. Could you utilise Jazler into a disco roadshow rig?
    Jazler is an excellent program, although it wouldn't be very practical for DJ work as you can only play each song from the beginning (although you can 'cue' the next song if you have the sound card config set up correctly), you can't skip through a song, you can't beat match as there is only 1 deck. It is just for Radio really.

If you were to use it for mobile work, then it would only be useful as a background music playout system.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Personally its a give and take thing. Sometimes i think it sounds a bit "cheesy" but other times if you get it right it sounds "professional". I think it all depends on the song,the situation and how good the DJ is at it!

I tend to ramp as and when needed: I'd say I get it right 90% of times!

I also have to do it quite a lot singing live, as I tend to only have 4-8 seconds "gap" between tracks, so some intros I encourage to the floor, tell 'em want to sing along, do a one-liner etc. I HAVE to get it right because I also need the second or two to catch my breath to sing.

I wouldn't do it with songs I'm not familiar with (singing or DJing), however I do forsee it being easier once I'm up and running to VDJ.

I add number of seconds til the vocals on the end of my well used track names - the blah blah song_20 to remind me when vocal start

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I add number of seconds til the vocals on the end of my well used track names - the blah blah song_20 to remind me when vocal start
    now that is pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I've always done it. Maybe because I wanted to be a radio presenter when I was younger.
    Same here.

It's something I did all the time in my pirate radio days, and I often practice out loud over the song intros when driving around in the van!