Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cortex HDC 3000 buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Spoke to them about it at BPM. Find an authorised repairer, and they'll mend it with parts sent from Cortex. It's a known problem. Call them for info.
    If it's a known problem, then does that mean they'll repair it for free? Or am I confusing "known problems" with "manufacturing defects?"

My problem seems to be spreading to the right hand deck now...

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    If it's a known problem, then does that mean they'll repair it for free?

Or am I confusing "known problems" with "manufacturing defects?"
    Design flaw. That way, there's no comeback.

My problem seems to be spreading to the right hand deck now...

Julian
    In my experience, you have to learn to push the play button firmly and centrally. It's not a cure, but it helps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Has anyone had problems with the Cortex Manager not creating Wave Forms after the library gets to about 12,500 tracks? Mine seems to be creating 1kb files which don't actually contain anything? Confused? I am.

I've logged a support call anyway, it'll be interesting to see what comes back.

Julian

I was going to buy a cortex as my first venture into the digital world. Now I am confused and feel that sticking with six flight cases of CD's is still the way forward.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Has anyone had problems with the Cortex Manager not creating Wave Forms after the library gets to about 12,500 tracks? Mine seems to be creating 1kb files which don't actually contain anything? Confused? I am.

I've logged a support call anyway, it'll be interesting to see what comes back.

Julian

ive not used a cortex and dont indeed on doing so but i know on my pc media player likes to create "album art" photos that are of a similiar size... its not that is it?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    I was going to buy a cortex as my first venture into the digital world. Now I am confused and feel that sticking with six flight cases of CD's is still the way forward.

I've logged a support call anyway, it'll be interesting to see what comes back

Julian
    Don't hold your breath.

I and many others don't. The DDS range is plummeting in price again, the Denon appears to be climbing again, after being very heavily discounted? Apart from the button issues, the Cortex seems to be pretty bulletproof now, there are quite a few on here, self included who use and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by deckstardeluxe View Post
    ive not used a cortex and dont indeed on doing so but i know on my pc media player likes to create "album art" photos that are of a similiar size... its not that is it?
    No idea, but seems logical.

Quote Originally Posted by deckstardeluxe View Post
    Ah, no, these are what it should be creating, but they should be more than 1kb in size (typically about 15-20k for a 3-4min track). When you prepare your hard disk for use in a HDC1000 or 3000 the manager software can create a "waveform" (.wff) file alongside the MP3 which contains a simplified representation of the overall track. Then when you play the track back on the Cortex you get to see the waveform for the track moving along the top of the player as the track plays out. It's really useful for being able to see the overall tracks volume (for normalising tracks, seeing when the track end is coming, if there is a silent bits, when the silent bit is going to end, etc).

My issue is just that the management software seems to stop producing these correctly after your library gets to a certain size. I'm going to have to have a play with splitting my library up, from memory Cortex don't recommend having more than about 5,000 tracks (and I'm now on about 2.5x that!!)

Don't get me wrong, despite all of the comments I've made about it, it's a great device, especially for the money you'll pay for one. It's still roughly half the price of it's Denon counterpart, and about £80 cheaper than a DDS, but has a stack of features that neither of the others have. My button problems seem to have gone away on the left hand deck now (sorted themselves out) so I'm guessing that may have been due to dirt or dust getting into the buttons. I've been looking very hard at other options lately (partly to see what I could buy as a backup and partly to see where I might go next) and there aren't a lot out there. You really have the Numark DDS, Denon HD2500 or the Pioneer MEP7000. There's also a bunch of SD card playing devices out there, but I've been struggling to take any of them seriously. Other than these you're into the realm of buying a PC and a USB/Midi controller of some kind.

So for now at least, I'm sticking with the Cortex.

Julian
    Last edited by DJ Jules; 14-10-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Now I'm even more confused.

There appears to be a load of issues regarding buttons and a picture of some rather confusing guts of a Cortex yet people are suggesting its the best option of the bunch. I have been warned off Denons as the DH is built in and too small, I haven't got the budget for anything with Pioneer written on it (although would like to have). And my recent experience of Numark is that nothing they make works anymore (and before anyone gets on my case about that I used purely Numark for a good number of years in my early days - but the stuff isn't what it used to be).

However saying that my guru suggested the Cortex and a lap top and a CD players as my playout system, so I will probably get one supported by the other formats.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

My issue is just that the management software seems to stop producing these correctly after your library gets to a certain size. I'm going to have to have a play with splitting my library up, from memory Cortex don't recommend having more than about 5,000 tracks (and I'm now on about 2.5x that!!)
    Julian
    On the mega stay at home master HD i've got more than that, and don't seem to be having problems.

Now I'm even more confused.

There appears to be a load of issues regarding buttons and a picture of some rather confusing guts of a Cortex yet people are suggesting its the best option of the bunch. I have been warned off Denons as the DH is built in and too small, I haven't got the budget for anything with Pioneer written on it (although would like to have). And my recent experience of Numark is that nothing they make works anymore (and before anyone gets on my case about that I used purely Numark for a good number of years in my early days - but the stuff isn't what it used to be).

However saying that my guru suggested the Cortex and a lap top and a CD players as my playout system, so I will probably get one supported by the other formats.
    Not necessarily a problem. It doesn't preclude you using other storage devices. Most folk use this drive for their most used tracks. It just comes up as another USB device.

Numark: I don't recall anyone on here having mechanical problems with their HDC units. Vectis and Rob love theirs.