Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cortex HDC 3000 buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Numark: I don't recall anyone on here having mechanical problems with their HDC units. Vectis and Rob love theirs.
    Okay will bear that in mind and at least give them the benefit of having a look at them as Vectis and Rob known their stuff. It was just my recent experiences of Numark kit is it isn't as well put together as it used to be (10 years ago).

I have a CDN22 Mk1 that still plods merrily along in my studio room depite having put some serious hours in during its life firstly on the road then on spare and now in the house - I think it was 10 years old this year.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quick update - if anyone wants to fix the buttons on their cortex, the buttons they use are Omron 6mm square, 3.4mm base, 5mm to top of button, part number B3F-6020. Datasheet here: http://www.diamondelec.co.uk/data/pdf_support/b3f6.pdf

The key thing here is that they've only got 2 legs, where most tactile switches have 4 - making these a nightmare to replace.

According to google Farnell are supposed to stock them, but their UK website isn't working for me at present so I can't verify.

I get the feeling this might be a "job lot from China" deal (I need to replace about 8 in my Cortex, so I guess that's reasonable!

If I'm feeling brave, I might post the photos of the guts of my Cortex, but right now, I'm not

Julian

NOTE: I am in no way advocating taking your Cortex apart unless you are confident with disassembly of electronic equipment...! If only because there's a TON of screws holding the thing together!

Interesting to read that other people have had issue with the buttons on Cortex controllers too. Has anyone had their buttons replaced ? If so has the problem now been resolved and which company did you use to do this repair. I understand from a colleague that Cortex does not have any repair facility in the UK and that it's all done in France !

Hi there. Could you please have have a read of this thread:- http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ad.php?t=11711

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Quick update - if anyone wants to fix the buttons on their cortex, the buttons they use are Omron 6mm square, 3.4mm base, 5mm to top of button, part number B3F-6020. Datasheet here: http://www.diamondelec.co.uk/data/pdf_support/b3f6.pdf
    Just a quick update on a VERY old thread.

I've finally got around to replacing my buttons as I've finally found a cheap UK supplier of these switches. I can tell you conclusively that the buttons are the High Force versions of the OMRON B3F-6020 switches (B3F-6022) and that they can be bought from RS online now for 29p/each!

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...f-6022&x=0&y=0

I've replaced mine with the standard force version (B3F-6020) and they feel less clicky and less positive (I should have made a note of the plunger colour when I opened the unit up before I ordered - the high force version of the switches have a grey plunger, whereas the standard have a black one - Cortex buttons have a grey plunger). But the important thing is that the buttons now all work reliably once more!!

Replacing them was reasonably straight forward (2hrs including breaking the unit down and putting it back together) - the only thing I will mention is that you definitely shouldn't attempt this unless you are confident with a soldering iron (the PCB is designed for automated assembly so the tracks are small and delicate and the button legs have been bent over to hold the switches in place before being soldered) and that the easiest way to remove the switches is to insert a screwdriver between switch and PCB and lever gently (which will straighten the switch legs as it pulls free) as using a solder sucker and/or straightening the legs using a soldering iron is going to be break the tracks.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Just a quick update on a VERY old thread.

I've finally got around to replacing my buttons as I've finally found a cheap UK supplier of these switches. I But the important thing is that the buttons now all work reliably once more!!

Julian
    Wanna do a few more 1000's ? Line forms behind me. Price?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Wanna do a few more 1000's ? Line forms behind me. Price?
    Could do - depends how many buttons you need replacing I replaced 23 in mine (SEARCH, EDIT, PLAY, Up, Down, Left, Right, Enter, Cue, Play, Info on Both sides plus Power) but I might go back and do the shift buttons too as they're on their way out, making 25 in total.

It'd be interesting to see a HDC1000 - I've been assuming that they used the same buttons on both units, but they could be different... I notice that the HDC1000 only has 27 buttons in total anyway?

I could probably do a complete button replacement for £40 + P&P (or if you want to drive the unit down to me on an evening I could do it While you Wait?)

Julian