Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup (active) speakers

Default Backup (active) speakers

Hi,

I carry backup kit for most things, but not usually speakers because my second set (15" Class-Ds, which I'll probably sell soon) is too big to fit in the van along with everything else.

My main speakers are Mackie SRM450s, to which I sometimes add a sub.

I've been thinking about getting a small-ish set of budget backup speakers that would:

a) Fit in the van
    b) Be a backup if one or both Mackies failed
    c) Be useful as a second PA for speeches, background music, extension speakers to another room, etc

As a backup they're only really for emergencies, and the chances of both Mackies failing on the same night must be pretty slim, so I can accept that I might have to finish a night at reduced volume. Of course I realise budget, small cabs aren't going to be anywhere near the quality or volume of the Mackies - they just need to be good enough to get me through the night if the worst happens.

I reckon for (a) and (c) above, a set of 8" cabs like the W-Audio PSR8A would fit the bill, but for (b) I'm not convinved they'd be man enough the the job.

So I'm looking at both 8" and 10" cabs at the moment. Does anyone have any experience with the Thomann "The Box" PA108A or PA110A, or W-Audio PSR8A. Would they be man enough for the job, or no chance?

I'm only interested in active cabs because that's what my mains ones are, and I'd like the convenience of being able to get them out of the van and set them up quickly if need be - swap two cables and it's done.

Thanks in advance...
    Bright Lights Entertainment
    www.brightlightsentertainment.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Yep, found that before I posted but I didn't see much in the way of conclusions about the smaller cabs.

I did notice you said you've got the PSR8s though (see, I was paying attention!) Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by BrightLights View Post
    Yep, found that before I posted but I didn't see much in the way of conclusions about the smaller cabs.

I did notice you said you've got the PSR8s though (see, I was paying attention!) Any good?
    Not for a full disco on their own, no.

Hi,

As a backup they're only really for emergencies, and the chances of both Mackies failing on the same night must be pretty slim, so I can accept that I might have to finish a night at reduced volume. Of course I realise budget, small cabs aren't going to be anywhere near the quality or volume of the Mackies - they just need to be good enough to get me through the night if the worst happens.

I'm only interested in active cabs because that's what my mains ones are, and I'd like the convenience of being able to get them out of the van and set them up quickly if need be - swap two cables and it's done.

Thanks in advance...
    I think you've answered your own question here, why not just get a single Mackie speaker, the odds of two failing on the same gig are remote
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Not for a full disco on their own, no.
    How about if only one Mackie failed so there'd be one Mackie and one PSR8A? They'd look pretty silly, mind you

Or how about if they were teamed with a sub (which is usually in the van in case I decide to use it)?

I'm pretty sure 8" cabs just won't be up to it at all, but thought I'd ask anyway...

b) Be a backup if one or both Mackies failed
    As a backup they're only really for emergencies, and the chances of both Mackies failing on the same night must be pretty slim, so I can accept that I might have to finish a night at reduced volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I think you've answered your own question here, why not just get a single Mackie speaker, the odds of two failing on the same gig are remote
    As mentioned, why not get a third SRM 450?

As you said, the chances of both speakers dying on you is slim (power surges that'd knock out all your kit might, but then, everything else would go bang too, so two speakers would be the least of your worries).

It can still be used in seperate rooms for background or speeches, as the dispersion is great on them.
    Adam F
    07736 834 750
    My opinions expressed here, are MY opinions, and NOT of any company I may represent, liase or work with or for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Yeah I thought about that, and it's probably the best answer for pure backup purposes but if possible it'd be nice to have a pair so they could also be used for the other stuff like speeches, second PA, etc.

I should probably add that the Mackies have never let me down. Maybe I'm just being paranoid

The Tapco 15" Thumps are good, they are light and compact and produce a quality sound. We have owned a pair at work for over a year now and they have stood up to the abuse they get from students. They are ideal as backups to the SRM's
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

I have a 3rd SRM450 for backup. This might be for sale as I am considering buying a set of W-Audio PSR15A to use stand-alone for some gigs