Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self built websites

I've looked at literally hundreds of mobile disco websites (amongst others). The majority are home made and look it. There are a small handful of very good DIY sites out there, but the professionally built ones stick out a mile.

The things that jump out at me so so often include:

- repeated use of a handful of free templates (Vistaprint and Joomla being the most abused) - not a problem I guess unless you do lots of disco shopping

- over-use of cartoonified dudes-wearing-half-a-set-of-cans-whilst-spinning-two-vinyl-discs or half-dressed-anime-weemee-type-girly-pretending-to-dance type graphics

- serious overuse of very outdated and sad animated gifs of flashing lights, spinning discs, pumping speakers

- BAD SPELLING AND GRAMMAR - when I'm shopping for products or services and I come across a badly worded website, I click away as a matter of principle

- poor colour choices - like neon blues and greens on black or grey

- slow-loading bloated image files

- stacks of information about the gear used or the venues played at, but nothing about customer service

- absolutely no thought given to the placement of content to maximise visibility of key data

I could go on... and on.

My conclusion is that the majority of DIY sites simply don't do justice to the business and should be seriously overhauled. In 2009 it's unforgiveable for a technology-related business (which we are, let's face it) to scrimp where it matters - the shop window. I don't profess to have the best website out there, and it IS DIY, but it's streets ahead of my competitors and as a result I clean up at the upper end of my local market. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    I don't profess to have the best website out there, and it IS DIY, but it's streets ahead of my competitors and as a result I clean up at the upper end of my local market. Fact.
    Another fact for you...Dettol kills 99% of all bacterta sorry - Ill take myself off for a walk now
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Anyway, just to add to this, I have a good factsheet which might help DIY'ers think about and improve the effectiveness of their websites. Not sure I can post the link here so PM or email me if interested.

Marc needn't bother; grandmother - eggs - you know the kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by samuelchristian View Post

No one would try to build their own decks or mixer so why do it with a website?

Obviously didn't know Nigel!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Obviously didn't know Nigel!
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

I agree about homemade sites - the majority do look like it and as mentioned this is your shop window for heavens sake - first impressions and all that!

Another reason for me clicking off sites are statements like "Welcome to the website for the leading mobile disco company in Nottingham & Derby..." - Then no quantifacation of the statement - a personal opinion is a mile away from fact.
    Last edited by Wayno; 10-09-2009 at 03:51 PM.

I maintain my own website for a number of reasons but the main one was that when I went self employed, I had time to kill so I learnt the basics and am still learning. I would rather do it myself because I KNOW WHAT I WANT and I don't have to tell someone else what to do and then be on the phone or email every 5 minutes because the designer hasn't done exactly what I wanted. This would do my head in and theirs too.

Believe it or not, I have actually had compliments on my site from customers and also from mates too. Yes, professional ones may well be better but I am happy as I am.

Anyway, just to add to this, I have a good factsheet which might help DIY'ers think about and improve the effectiveness of their websites. Not sure I can post the link here so PM or email me if interested.

I suggest to any DIYers to have a read of this, there is some interesting points, there is a lot to learn from it. Thanks Vectisvibe

Marc needn't bother; grandmother - eggs - you know the kind of thing
    What format is it? Is there any reason it can't be posted here? If you want, send me it and I'll upload it to a spare domain....

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    What format is it? Is there any reason it can't be posted here? If you want, send me it and I'll upload it to a spare domain....
    Its in a PDF format but I think it goes against the rules of the Forum.