Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmmm......Website Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Use a Content Management System (CMS) - Joomla, CMSMS, ModX etc. etc.. the list is endless but those three are (imho) worth looking at, if you want to go down that route...
    Not wishing to hijack the thread, but what are the benefits of using CMS software over a 'web built' site like Web Eden. Whats the problem with 'flash' content? am I missing somthing here?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Not wishing to hijack the thread, but what are the benefits of using CMS software over a 'web built' site like Web Eden. Whats the problem with 'flash' content? am I missing somthing here?
    1) Primarily, for more (i.e. complete) control of the design, content and technical elements of your own site - for example the OP had to get rid of a page (terms and conditions) rather than be able to insert a simple meta tag to stop search engines crawling it.

2) On the subject of search engines - not all search engines can read Flash, and those that can still have problems with certain elements.

3) Many workplaces still block Flash. My wife's, for example...and she works for the largest employer in the UK. So if a potential bride is looking for a DJ for their wedding on her lunch break she might not be able to view a Flash site. At best you can put up non-flash content (as the OP's site has) but this begs the question - what's the point?

4) Flash (imho) should be used for "eye candy", nice to have features of a site. If it's used for any critical part (i.e. navigation) there should be just as good non-flash content for search engines and non-flash enabled visitors to see / use.

These are just my opinions...I personally would never recommend to a client to have an all Flash site - not even flash navigation. There are some very good all Flash sites - they have their place - and unless you're in that market or have the huge budget to build a very good Flash site with a just-as-good non-flash alternative, you shouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS Discos View Post
    Fair point!

I would change to a HTML based site, but I've already made 3 sites and I really don't want to have to build a site from scratch again.

Plus, I want the site, so I can log-in whenever I want to update/change things.
    I made you one of them...

Scott on your contact page you have this:

If you are contacting other companies for quotes, please do not disclose our information

Do you not think this would put off potential customers?
    Is it really a nessersary comment?

James
    JDB Events - Making your event Buzz!
    www.jdb-events.co.uk
    www.hirepartydancefloors.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JDB Entertainment View Post
    Scott on your contact page you have this:

If you are contacting other companies for quotes, please do not disclose our information

Do you not think this would put off potential customers?
    Is it really a nessersary comment?

James
    PM Sent.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

Quote Originally Posted by CB Entertainments View Post
    I made you one of them...
    ...And it was very good mate.

I only really want to change over to another type of site as a last resort. All I'm asking for is a bit of advice on:

1.) How to tidy it up a bit.
    2.) Is there anything that needs to be added, removed or re-worded.

Cheers
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs