Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: juke box needed

Just out of curiousity Flex, did you try to talk to the girl beforehand when you first got the request list and point out to her that a lot were 'slowies', or tracks that many of her guests wouldn't know, and that the result would probably be that it wouldn't be a very lively party as people would not be up dancing? If the response was "I don't care, it's my party" then it's their look-out!

The other thing we have found when receiving 'innappropriate' request lists, is that if you are positive when you speak to them - pointing out the GOOD bits of their list, and saying that this will cover approximately x hour(s) of the night, it helps.... rather than being negative and just saying what might not work - people can get a bit defensive then!

Quote Originally Posted by Flex
    I have to be honest I would rather walk away from a job than have someone hire me on the basis of a set playlist. I have a deal of sympathy with the juke box point. I cant understand why anybody would hire a DJ expecting them to stand and be a very expensive cd multichanger. I will always welcome a list of 15 or so requests from the client and find out what the musical preferences are.
    my point exactly.

I did a job once similar to that where a pile of CD's was given to me with the words "play them & nothing else". Despite numerous aunts & uncles complaining because they didn't want to listen to Destiny's Child & Jamelia all night as well as loads of glum faces (as you said staring at their feet most of the time). After a couple of hours one of the aunties came over & gave me a right earful I told her i sympathised with her thinking but i was told to play what i was playing & nothing else. She said "leave this to me", went over to the person who gave me the CD's, clobbered her with her handbag round the head a few times then came over & said "you play what you want & some party stuff, never mind what that lot say they want". the gloves were off, the party stuff went on & the floor was then full all night.... apart from one sulking person in the corner nursing a black eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    I did a job once similar to that where a pile of CD's was given to me with the words "play them & nothing else".
    So did you not have any info before the night Wolfie?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment
    So did you not have any info before the night Wolfie?
    yes & no.. it was a guy i used to work for who passed that one to me, so all i got told was something like 21st birthday party, about 100 people & they want some RnB as well as the venue it was held at & what money to pick up from what person.

Just rememberer one where the guy wanted some obsucre indie tracks and had made 3 cds of his own. I agreed to play some of his stuff and was alternating between his cds and my choices until he came up after the first few songs and said no no no - i've put them on the cd in the order i want them. Just put a cd in and let it play through?

WTF? Why book a DJ if you just want your own cds to play - gaps between songs and all. Never been more bored in my life.

Edinburgh, Lothian and the Borders.
    Email.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    yes & no.. it was a guy i used to work for who passed that one to me, so all i got told was something like 21st birthday party, about 100 people & they want some RnB as well as the venue it was held at & what money to pick up from what person.
    Always a problem when you are 'remote' from the punter!.... it can go round like Chinese Whispers!!!! (Another reason why I like the 'Questionnaire' approach - no argument about what was said / wanted...... mind you, I received a questionnaire back from a customer the other day, and although they gave us a very good report overall, they did make one comment in answer to whether or not their prior musical requests had been covered: they stated that Kelly Clarkson wasn't played. When I checked the request sheet, they hadn't requested it! )

The lack of info was one reason why we stopped covering gigs for a particular 'Agent' - not only did he not give us all of the information, but half the time the information was wrong!!! (Even gave us the wrong names of the Bride & Groom once!! )

Well now, here's the thing.

I have started sending out request list forms, so the client can choose up to 20 of their favourite songs and have found this works well. I have explained to the customer that these are songs aimed at the dance floor and any other non-dancing type songs can be played early on or during the buffet break.

Once I recieve the lists back I ring the customer back to discuss the list with them therefore preventing any problems.

I have recently taken on a couple of wedding where the clients are really into their music and were very specific about their tastes. I only took this booking after long discussions about how they would see the wedding reception going and what they wanted.

What they did want was a DJ who would play their favourite music for them and a group of friends to listen to, and not necessarily dance to, all round about the same age, who would be in a smallish room with a bar. They don't want the traditional song for Auntie Vera and general cheese that we play, which is fine because this has been discussed at length and carefully planned.

Take every booking on it's own merit and make sure you and the client know exactly what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    Well now, here's the thing.

I have started sending out request list forms, so the client can choose up to 20 of their favourite songs and have found this works well. I have explained to the customer that these are songs aimed at the dance floor and any other non-dancing type songs can be played early on or during the buffet break.

Once I recieve the lists back I ring the customer back to discuss the list with them therefore preventing any problems.

I have recently taken on a couple of wedding where the clients are really into their music and were very specific about their tastes. I only took this booking after long discussions about how they would see the wedding reception going and what they wanted.

What they did want was a DJ who would play their favourite music for them and a group of friends to listen to, and not necessarily dance to, all round about the same age, who would be in a smallish room with a bar. They don't want the traditional song for Auntie Vera and general cheese that we play, which is fine because this has been discussed at length and carefully planned.

Take every booking on it's own merit and make sure you and the client know exactly what is needed.
    Well put!

Interesting that the people that are busy, don't mind playlists- I've taken stacks of bookings coz "the other guy wasn't interested in what we wanted." Without input from the B&G my wedding party last week would have been a complete flop- there's no way I would have picked the music to suit them- it was extremely alternative. But because we met, talked, and worked together, we ended up having a cracking night- yes a huge list won't all get played, but it gives you a great steer on where they're coming from. Anyway, keep refusing people, I don't mind taking the bookings off you! LOL

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

I have had gigs where I have been given a complete running list. I agree it can be a bit soul destroying. In these cases I make a point of announcing every 20 minutes or so "All the music we are playing tonight has been chosen by ....." It gets me off the hook and if the choices are not going down well the audience know it is not down to me. In some cases it has led to them relenting and asking me to ignore their list and play something more appropriate. I agree that a small list of favourites is very useful and that by discussion with the client before AND during the event most problems can be sorted out amicably.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco