Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Website opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Rob - when I said you need to add some passion to the website, I didn't mean write the word 'passionate' in the copy (although it's a good starting point)

The text is marginally better than previously for the reasons discussed, but my main point about this text is that it needs more prominence on the page - at the moment it's the same font, colour scheme and size as the testimonials which follow. It's your main 'shot-between-the-eyes' so make it leap out at the casual visitor.
    Thanks for your thoughts, Vectis.

I thought the simplest way to get over the message about being passionate was to spell it out. After all, you can't beat the direct approach!

I'll have a think about the other points ou made.

Thanks again!

Okay folks, update time.

I've now made a number of changes to my website, mostly in response to the advice given to me in this thread (so if anyone thinks I always know best & don't listen to people or take on board their advice, think again!)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWood View Post
    on the home page...maybe Occasions "we cater for" include....
    Changed.

i would lose the bit about replying to emails within 6 hours...just put that you reply "promptly"
    All references to email replies being within 6 hours have been removed and replaced with "We answer most emails within a few hours"

on the disco's page..

is there enough difference between the two options ?

youve said that the standard disco comes with a "full lightshow"

whereas the deluxe one comes with a larger lightshow

that could confuse people,

think about it,, if a glass if full, then you cant get anymore in it ...
    I've now changed the standard disco description from "a full lightshow" to simply "a lightshow"

and, why put 150 people max ?

what about those functions where they are expecting more than 150,

they might just go to another disco website at the point ???
    Good point, so I've changed the numbers each disco is recommended for. The main difference is that I've increased the upper limit for the deluxe disco from 150 people to 200 people, so as not to alienate those who are having 150-200 guests at their function.

FAQ's

i wouldn't put that you dont do 18ths and 21st's

if you dont want to do them, just say you are booked

but by putting that you dont do them, it makes you look as if you dont have new music
    Good point, so I've now removed all references to 18th & 21sts from the FAQ page, along with the fact that I don't do them!

I'd be tempted to lose the "6 hours" thing and replace with something along the lines of "We will respond the same day, usually within a couple of hours". I just don't like the 6 hour thing... it's an weird number and with a consumer's hat on it's just ... well, a bit odd. Sorry but there it is
    As stated above, all references to email replies being within 6 hours have been removed & replaced with "We answer most emails within a few hours"

FAQ #30 says the email response time is 8 hours.
    Not any more!

The overall tone of a lot of the copy, particularly the FAQs, is a little on the "negative" or "can't-do" side.
    The three consecutive negative FAQs asking "Do you do do 18th & 21st birthdays?" "Do you cater for childrens parties?" and "Do you offer karaoke?" (all of which had the answer "No") have now been removed & replaced with three different FAQs, all of which have more positive answers.

I don't see any killer USPs - the premise is quite ordinary, yet I know for a fact that your service is anything but. I just don't feel this coming through on the website. You're a passionate guy; the site doesn't feel passionate.
    I thought I'd spell it out, so the home page now says about being passionate. I've also added that we tailor our service to their exact requirements, just in case they thought a disco with set packages & prices did not do this.

Quote Originally Posted by deckstardeluxe View Post
    yes I would lose the 18th/21st bit as the person booking you for their wedding might have guests of that age at the wedding (not loads but if they read that it may put them off)
    Already done as previously mentioned.

6 hour thing is strange for me too. As Jeff said customers will read that as "I'll have to wait 6 hours".
    All references to 6 hours replaced with "within a few hours" as already stated.

Screenshot attached - I think the comment speaks for itself really. Look at all that beige! There's plenty of it on each page. Don't you have a DJmark that you could use somewhere?
    Good idea, and I'm looking to add that to the right hand side of my discos page in the near future, ideally with a link to the page that details the aspects of my business that were checked before it was awarded to me, but I need to speak to someone about that first

and you say a 6 hour wait will encourage people ???

you're kidding right ?

people will ask; why 6 hours ?

they will assume that you are a part time dj, who maybe has a day job and just does discos as a bit of sideline,,

you've said that you spend a lot of time at your pc,, so whats the problem, just say you'll give a fast or prompt reply...
    As previously mentioned, all referenced to the 6 hours reply time have been removed.

i always do weddings for more than 150,, I dont think its uncommon.
    Agreed, so I've increased my upper recommended number for the deluxe disco from 150 to 200.

18ths and 21st's

well to me,, it definatly looks as if you saying that you arnt up to doing 21sts ,,

which will put people off..

lots of people assume that mobile djs arn't up to date etc etc and just play abba, lol

you got to remember that lots of brides and grooms are fairly young,,

why would they want a dj who says he cant play the sort of music that a 21 year old would like ???
    Agreed, so all references to the age groups I don't do (kids parties, 18ths & 21sts) have been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    From personal experience if I get a reply from a business email within 2 days I am very rarely unhappy, but if they said "6 hours" and then took 12 I might think that they'd fallen at the first hurdle.
    I usually respond within 2 or 3 hours, which is one reason why I've removed the mention of 6 hours. It was actually misleading, as it suggested I take longer to reply than I actually do!

Rob - when I said you need to add some passion to the website, I didn't mean write the word 'passionate' in the copy (although it's a good starting point)
    I know it's a good starting point. The most blatant way to get a message across is to spell it out...so that's why I have!

In addition to responding to lots of the advice given, I've replaced the last couple of recent customer feedbacks with two more recent ones. This now means that ALL recent customer feedbacks on my home page are from the last few months alone.

Thanks again to everyone who has given their advice & opinions. It is very much appreciated, which you can probably tell by the fact that I've already implemented lots of it!

Apart from adding the DJ Mark logo to my discos page, the only other changes I'm looking to make now are to replace one or two of the existing pics & to add some new ones. However, this will have to wait a while, as I need to get some good pics from appropriate gigs first.

I'm still open to advice, because I'm always looking to make improvements to my website, because it's crucial to my business, as it brings in at least 80% of all my disco work.
    Last edited by rob1963; 12-10-2009 at 12:16 PM.

good stuff rob

thats what forums are all about

good stuff rob

thats what forums are all about
    Absolutely!

That's why I joined this one.

yes indeed what goes around comes around as Rob has helped me out greatly recently concerning my own website.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

All good positive changes Rob. Still a bit beige though in places

PM coming.

yes indeed what goes around comes around as Rob has helped me out greatly recently concerning my own website.

All good positive changes Rob. Still a bit beige though in places
    Not for much longer!

Group hug, everyone.....

I've now taken some more advice & filled in some of the blank space on my discos page.

That's about as far as the amendments can go until I get some nice new pics for the site.

Thanks again for everyone's help & advice.