Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Items For Sale

I know what you mean but you can always state that each one is reviewed and incomplete or "rubbish" ones are removed and not counted??
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Ebay had to start somewhere.

It is very disheartening when people get great use from this site and yet don't ever seem to want to support it to help it grow.
    I appreciate that but at the same time didnt really see what DJ Bids offered that was different- if anything the smaller audience put it at a disadvantage.

I was about to say I am happy to support the forum but then I thought that actually, I might not be as I might view "support" in a different way to you- in my experience of other forums they need to pay for themselves through advertising to be a long term proposition- many others I view regularly have a lot more commercial sponsorship which obviously generates a fair bit of income.

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    I might view "support" in a different way to you- in my experience of other forums they need to pay for themselves through advertising to be a long term proposition- many others I view regularly have a lot more commercial sponsorship which obviously generates a fair bit of income.
    Out of interest, how do you think you support the forum then?

Out of interest, how do you think you support the forum then?
    I use it. It's therefore a more popular site, and therefore attracts more hits which should in turn attract more advertising revenue.

As I said in the last post I didnt type "I am happy to support" as if you mean "am I happy to pay" then the answer is no.
    I never said I would use DJ Bids in the same way I never said I would enter details for the venue database.

On a more positive note and trying to contribute/support in some way I was thinking about my last comment re the lack of commercial sponsorship- this forum has probably hundreds of members who spend a lot of money each year- 2 areas they spend an awful lot on are music and disco equipment.
    What about if there was some kind of referral scheme agreed with big retailers (Thomann, HMV) or even small ones (Phase One etc) whereby there is a link people can click through and the forum gets a referral fee of 1-2%?
    Similar to Quidco, although to get my "click" it would need to be retailers not on Quidco.

Other forums I know have much more commercial advertising which I believe generates a decent amount of revenue (certainly enough to fund the runnnig).

The other issue from my perspective that I am always unsure about is what the owners of the forum are trying to do with it- whether its a money making venture or simply a forum- IMO the 2 things are very different.

I love forum!
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

We've listened and taken on board the comments made about selling on the forum (and the past discussions regarding ebay links). There's a few new restrictions in place. These can be viewed in the 'For Sale' forum section.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    We've listened and taken on board the comments made about selling on the forum (and the past discussions regarding ebay links). There's a few new restrictions in place. These can be viewed in the 'For Sale' forum section.
    Oh well, I will be offering nothing further for sale through MDD, cest la vie.
    Exit stage left...

Quote Originally Posted by FDDJ View Post
    And ignored mine, it's just like being at home...

Oh well, I will be offering nothing further for sale through MDD, cest la vie.
    ....not that that's any real loss to us, but why not?

....not that that's any real loss to us, but why not?
    You will miss me when I'm gone...

For the reasons I gave when you asked everyone's opinion, I believe it is up to the seller to choose how best to try and sell their product. Placing onerous restrictions on how people sell just makes them go and sell it elsewhere*. Just ask eBay.

I believe this will lead to a reduction in the items being offered to forum members. Whether that is deemed good or bad in the long term is another thing.

What I find annoying is lots of people on here seem to expect some form of preferential treatment just because they are a member, whereas I believe everyone is entitled to do whatever they deem necessary to achieve the best price possible, especially in these harsh economic times.

*Although I accept some restrictions such as minimum number of posts are sensible.
    Exit stage left...

Quote Originally Posted by FDDJ View Post
    For the reasons I gave when you asked everyone's opinion, I believe it is up to the seller to choose how best to try and sell their product. Placing onerous restrictions on how people sell just makes them go and sell it elsewhere*. Just ask eBay.
    I don't really care if people don't sell anything on here ever again. It's free advertising and doesn't affect us in the slightest.

I really can't see how asking people for an approximate price and waiting 7 days until they put it on Ebay is a restriction though?