Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Weird Email

Default Weird Email

Had the email below arrive this morning and its been bothering me all day plus ive no idea what the hell its on about

Dear President/CEO,
    Hello!Sorry to trouble you!
    We are a domain name registration service company in HongKong, which mainly deal with international company's domain name registration and disputing in Asia.On the Oct 26, 2009, we received an application formally from Jinyu Investment Co., Ltd,who applied for the Internet trademark: "djpdiscos" and some domain names relevant to this trademark from our organization.

According to our procedures and in order to protect your intellectual property rights, we need to send this email to the original company for confirming the actual relationship with this company.If you do not know this company, we doubt that they have other motivation to register these domain names and probably want to do some cybersquatting. Now we have postponed this issue and have not proceeded their registration,In order not to confuse registering these domain names,Please contact us Asap.

PS:If you are not in charge of this matter,please transfer this email to appropriate dept.

Best Regards
    Cary.feng
    Hong Kong Head Office:
    Tel:+8 52 95 66 04 96
    Fax: +8 52 30 19 78 72
    Email:[email protected]
    Web: http://www.asiadm.hk.cn
    The information in this email is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely upon the information contained in this email. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please reply immediately to this effect and delete it (and all copies) from your system (with thanks). This message and any attached files have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. However, you are advised that you open any attachment at your own risk.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Booche View Post
    Had the email below arrive this morning and its been bothering me all day plus ive no idea what the hell its on about

Dear President/CEO,
    Hello!Sorry to trouble you!
    We are a domain name registration service company in HongKong, which mainly deal with international company's domain name registration and disputing in Asia.On the Oct 26, 2009, we received an application formally from Jinyu Investment Co., Ltd,who applied for the Internet trademark: "djpdiscos" and some domain names relevant to this trademark from our organization.

According to our procedures and in order to protect your intellectual property rights, we need to send this email to the original company for confirming the actual relationship with this company.If you do not know this company, we doubt that they have other motivation to register these domain names and probably want to do some cybersquatting. Now we have postponed this issue and have not proceeded their registration,In order not to confuse registering these domain names,Please contact us Asap.

PS:If you are not in charge of this matter,please transfer this email to appropriate dept.

Best Regards
    Cary.feng
    Hong Kong Head Office:
    Tel:+8 52 95 66 04 96
    Fax: +8 52 30 19 78 72
    Email:[email protected]
    Web: http://www.asiadm.hk.cn
    The information in this email is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely upon the information contained in this email. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please reply immediately to this effect and delete it (and all copies) from your system (with thanks). This message and any attached files have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. However, you are advised that you open any attachment at your own risk.
    Hit delete or add to spam.

Just another ruse.

In future, if you're in any doubt, copy and paste the text into Google.

Example - top hit - http://www.joewein.net/blog/2008/12/...scam-in-china/

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Hit delete or add to spam.

Just another ruse.

In future, if you're in any doubt, copy and paste the text into Google.

Example - top hit - http://www.joewein.net/blog/2008/12/...scam-in-china/
    I did but just wanted to see if anyone else had this lol

Cheers Vectis

Dave
    Dave

Yes, I had a couple.

I've had this a few times now. Simply hit the delete button.

Anyway, here's how this scam works.

This company emails you stating that they have received a request to register a domain that is very similar to yours. They don't know if the company is associated with you so ask you this in their email. You reply saying "No. These people are nothing to do with me!" to which you receive a reply saying "Ok. We can deny this company but it will cost you an admin fee of (say £10 or other small/minimal amount)". You think "Hey that's pretty cheap to protect my online presence" and you hand over your payment details (credit/debit card). Then they have your details and, frankly, you're stuffed!

This scam works on several levels. First, there is fear that someone, perhaps a bit 'dodgy' wants to copy your domain name. Then, because of the small fee, they make you think that you're getting a good deal. Then they've got you.

In the great history of scams, this one is fairly recent. However, it would appear that it's also pretty effective so people really should be made aware of it.

But it's definately one for the bin!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Thanks guys its been deleted but as i said i just wondered if anyone else had it and also to let peeps know whats going around

Cheers Dave
    Dave

Got one of these in the post the other day...

Basically it looked like an invoice for my domain name which would cost me around £3 to renew it for a year! Basically, if I sent a cheque off to them with the letter, it acts as me renewing my domain with their company and my existing domain holder has to transfer the domain to the new company.

In the small print they add a term on the lines of "We will have all rights to your domain". After a month or so, they redirect your domain to one of their advertising pages. Basically, they sneakily buy your domain for a really low price (wording it so it seems that you are just renewing it ('Your domain is up for renewal!') and that this company is who you have already hosted your domain with) and then once they transfer it over from your existing supplier, leave you with nothing as they now own your domain name.

Presumably after that, they#ll offer to sell it back to you at a highly inflated price!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Presumably after that, they#ll offer to sell it back to you at a highly inflated price!
    Yep, it wouldn't surprise me. I still cant see how these can get away with stuff like this, its misleading people to a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellows Discos View Post
    Yep, it wouldn't surprise me. I still cant see how these can get away with stuff like this, its misleading people to a whole new level.
    Well that's why they're scams! People get taken in so it can be very lucrative for the scammers. Problem is when people know the scam then a new one pops up.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!