Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Website Redesign!

Default Website Redesign!

Finally got my domain released by office live, and was recommended Mr Site to redesign my site.

The content (especially on the FAQ page) needs some work, generally reducing, but other than that...your thoughts?

http://www.harlequinroadshow.co.uk

Oki doki... here goes

1. Grey text on dark grey background is a no-no

1b. Blue text on a dark grey background (even if it IS an off-site link) is a no-no.

2. I hate the fact that the page sizes differ so. I understand the need to have some pages longer than others, but pick a minimum height and apply it consistently.

2a. On my browser (Safari 4 on OSX) the page centering is also off - that or the box widths are not consistent - when I click through the pages the content window moves around left/right by a few pixels each time. Annoying.

3. Personal preference here, but I hate the centred justification used throughout.

4. You need an image or two on the index page. It also needs more content.

5. <TITLE> and <META DESCRIPTION> need a LOT more work if you want the search engines to find and rank you.

6. On FAQs,

a) are PAT/PLI/ProDub worthy of top spot? Surely they're not your most frequently-asked questions?
    b) the PAT/PLI/ProDub links go to third-party websites. Consider using TARGET="_blank" to open these in new windows so the customer isn't directed away from your site
    c) I think it's the choice of font, but there's no way I'd read through that lot. It's a bit of a mess, frankly. Consider as a minimum having the titles in a larger font size and increasing the line height ever so slightly to space out the text better. And lose the centered justification!!
    d) Don't talk about negative feedback - it implies that you receive some. Don't stoop any lower than 'valued feedback'.
    e) Don't have underlined bits of text when your URLs are only decorated with underlines. People will try to click on links that don't exist.

7. Enquiry form. A bit sparse don't you think? Enquiry forms definitely fall into the "less is more" category but you're relying on the customer giving you all the relevant detail - which they won't - and they'll expect a fully fledged quote in return - which they won't get. Surely as a minimum you need a date, a venue, a party type, a guest count? Also, CAPTCHA - yuk.

8. Gallery - nice implementation. I've seen a lot worse! A few more pics and some more subtle watermarks and you're sorted on that one

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Oki doki... here goes

1. Grey text on dark grey background is a no-no

1b. Blue text on a dark grey background (even if it IS an off-site link) is a no-no.

2. I hate the fact that the page sizes differ so. I understand the need to have some pages longer than others, but pick a minimum height and apply it consistently.

2a. On my browser (Safari 4 on OSX) the page centering is also off - that or the box widths are not consistent - when I click through the pages the content window moves around left/right by a few pixels each time. Annoying.

3. Personal preference here, but I hate the centred justification used throughout.

4. You need an image or two on the index page. It also needs more content.

5. <TITLE> and <META DESCRIPTION> need a LOT more work if you want the search engines to find and rank you.

6. On FAQs,

a) are PAT/PLI/ProDub worthy of top spot? Surely they're not your most frequently-asked questions?
    b) the PAT/PLI/ProDub links go to third-party websites. Consider using TARGET="_blank" to open these in new windows so the customer isn't directed away from your site
    c) I think it's the choice of font, but there's no way I'd read through that lot. It's a bit of a mess, frankly. Consider as a minimum having the titles in a larger font size and increasing the line height ever so slightly to space out the text better. And lose the centered justification!!
    d) Don't talk about negative feedback - it implies that you receive some. Don't stoop any lower than 'valued feedback'.
    e) Don't have underlined bits of text when your URLs are only decorated with underlines. People will try to click on links that don't exist.

7. Enquiry form. A bit sparse don't you think? Enquiry forms definitely fall into the "less is more" category but you're relying on the customer giving you all the relevant detail - which they won't - and they'll expect a fully fledged quote in return - which they won't get. Surely as a minimum you need a date, a venue, a party type, a guest count? Also, CAPTCHA - yuk.

8. Gallery - nice implementation. I've seen a lot worse! A few more pics and some more subtle watermarks and you're sorted on that one
    You, sir, are a legend. Genuinely useful considered feedback. Thank you.
    Fortunately, I have a free weekend to get all that implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    You, sir, are a legend. Genuinely useful considered feedback. Thank you.
    Fortunately, I have a free weekend to get all that implemented.
    No worries... nice to get thanks rather than toys flung out of a pram

Another quickie - no contact page? I know you have phone numbers on page 1, which is fine, but if you're not having a contact page consider putting contacts on ALL pages. I put mine in my header image, job done. No email addy?

The captcha is standard with Mr Site, they have changed their systems so you now have to use their own forms which involves the Captcha.

Was with them but now changed hosts and redesigning a new site.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    No worries... nice to get thanks rather than toys flung out of a pram

Another quickie - no contact page? I know you have phone numbers on page 1, which is fine, but if you're not having a contact page consider putting contacts on ALL pages. I put mine in my header image, job done. No email addy?
    No its seriously all good, I'm no expert when it comes to web stuff, but I can find my way around with a bit of practice, so any workable tips that I know how to fix are really helpful.

Is the Enquiry Form not the contact page?

Right that's a few of the suggestions updated, still work to do, that contact form is hard work, the spacing and box sizes isn't quite right.

Also need to get the camera out next gig to get a few more useable pics!!

Maybe a page designed for weddings or birthday parties too?

I would get some pics of people dancing on the gallery as you look a bit lonely in that big room.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I agree with pretty much everything Vectis has said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Is the Enquiry Form not the contact page?
    No, it's just an enquiry form!

My own contact page has not only an enquiry form, but an address, a landline number, a mobile number and an email link. Now THAT'S a contact page!