Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott mobile discos that use laptops!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    So what if the DJ has a laptop with a Denon HD2500 or HC4500? Is that the same? Does the member of public think the same?

No, of course they don't. They don't think about it to begin with.

People that have been vaguely interested (as few as they are) in the equipment have been amazed that I use a laptop and controller.
    I repeat that as soon as they see a laptop,( and no CD's ) they believe it's running the show.Always. Every time. Without fail. On each occasion. Universally.
    I then have to point out that the music is actually coming from the Cortex(es). They are then suitably impressed.
    I'm not maligning computer DJ's , I'm just telling it like it is in my experience.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I repeat that as soon as they see a laptop,( and no CD's ) they believe it's running the show.Always. Every time. Without fail. On each occasion. Universally.
    I then have to point out that the music is actually coming from the Cortex(es). They are then suitably impressed.
    I'm not maligning computer DJ's , I'm just telling it like it is in my experience.
    We must stop doing this (its bad for the image and all).

I agree with the Yorkshire man. Now where is my Birch - must flog myself.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Yeah but that's the point...they probably have a laptop too

Yeah....but have they got the llocks to drive it in front of 200 people.

There was I proudly showing off my Fujitsu Esprimo to everyone thinking it was COOL to be a laptop DJ instead of a CD one.I even let my Karaoke singers sing off it...whilst projecting to a much larger Plasma TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Yeah but that's the point...they probably have a laptop too, but I'll lay money they don't have a controller !!
    That will make a big difference to their perception of professionalism.
    The perception is down to whether you have something which is in almost every home ....or a panel of buttons & lights which appears exclusively for use by the professional DJ industry
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Total load of tosh if you ask me. I don't think the clients care if you use CD's, laptop or a HDC. All they care about is having a good time. The "perceptions" are mainly a figment of some DJ's imagination .

How many guests actually bother to look behind the booth to look at what you are actually using?
    In my experience customers notice far more than many would imagine, around two years ago I forsaw the current downturn, and transformed my business from a gigging DJ to a dry hire business. This of course, brings me into contact with the people who have chosen to 'do it themselves' and dump the traditional mobile DJ. In the interest of market research, I make a point of asking my clients what motivated them to take this route. The single most repeated answer is along the lines of 'the last time we had a DJ, he just used a laptop, so I thought, I might as well do that myself, and I'll be sure to get the music I want'
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by StarZSoundS View Post
    Yeah....but have they got the llocks to drive it in front of 200 people.:
    On social networking sites, probably many many times that number
    Surely this thread is about public perception, not the reality of opinion

...and I repeat (having used one a lot longer than you... ) that I have very rarely had anyone look at what I am using and even less people comment on it.

And I have never had anyone turn their nose up, poo poo me, say I'm not professional. Never, ever, on any occasion. Universally.

Quote Originally Posted by StarZSoundS View Post
    Yeah....but have they got the llocks to drive it in front of 200 people.

There was I proudly showing off my Fujitsu Esprimo to everyone thinking it was COOL to be a laptop DJ instead of a CD one.I even let my Karaoke singers sing off it...whilst projecting to a much larger Plasma TV.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! The only thing lower than a Laptop DJ, is an ipod DJ.

(In some people's opinion).

...and I repeat (having used one a lot longer than you... ) that I have very rarely had anyone look at what I am using and even less people comment on it.
    I accept without any argument your greater experience with the beast, after all, I'm only a novice. ( With laptops. )
    Southern punters must be too busy dancing to check out the gear, cos up here it gets inspected regularly.

And I have never had anyone turn their nose up, poo poo me, say I'm not professional. Never, ever, on any occasion. Universally.

Read again please Sir. I spelt professional with fewer letters: lazy.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 09-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

. ) that I have very rarely had anyone look at what I am using and even less people comment on it.

Try posting it in the Gallery, lots of people look & comment there !!

So what if the DJ has a laptop with a Denon HD2500 or HC4500? Is that the same? Does the member of public think the same?

No, of course they don't. They don't think about it to begin with.

People that have been vaguely interested (as few as they are) in the equipment have been amazed that I use a laptop and controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Total load of tosh if you ask me. I don't think the clients care if you use CD's, laptop or a HDC. All they care about is having a good time. The "perceptions" are mainly a figment of some DJ's imagination .

How many guests actually bother to look behind the booth to look at what you are actually using?

How many DJ's have had feedback from clients that they are a naff DJ because they use a laptop?
    with both totally 100%

I've had more positive comments about the set up I currently use from people when they see the 2 CDJ 400's being used to control traktor on the laptop, as they can see I'm working and .... well DJ'ing to be fair.

When I used the MEP7000 in the custom flight case, it was more a case of "mmm, standard, looks like most mobile disco's we've seen recently"

Anyway, regardless of laptops I don't think the issue of song selection has come up - We've got to read the crowd, mood, atmosphere and play the right songs to even begin to entertain a crowd, and a laptop can't do that on its own - A good DJ is a good DJ, regardless of whether he /she uses a laptop or not, full stop.

I'm not going to lose too much sleep over a numpty msn thread thingy, but it does get up your nose when 'general joe public' tar everyone with the same brush
    Every day's a school day

Floorfillerz Mobile Disco

Simon Pridmore