Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding Fairs?

Default Wedding Fairs?

Just had the chance to exibit at a local fair at short notice. Never done a fair before, so a couple of bits of help if that's ok?

1. Is is worth doing one this year - I only have 5 saturday dates left during the "season" this year, or will most couples be looking for next year?

2. What's the best thing to use to advertise - I was thinking a single T-bar, couple of scans and my sound set up?

3. Are fliers a must? or is it just about talking?

4. What are the best "perks" to help sell (or none at all?) - should I offer somethi ng? like a free bottle of bubbly with a booking on the day. Or is it money off - 2006 price for 2007 if booked today? 10% off? or what?

Many thanks guys

Not done any personally but from other posts and sites it seems you need to be careful about things like the following ( not related to your questions but important )

how is it advertised?

are there other Discos there?

if so whats the position of your "pitch"

how much are you paying?

whats the potential turnover of people visiting?

is it a good day---i.e. not clashing with World Cup or other events?
    Last night my event had a lower turn out than normal due to Bank Holiday.

That decides if its worth considering--or maybe you have done the research?

Im sure the other guys/gals on here will have plenty of help--having read a lot of these posts around the majority seem negative--however one or two seem to be positive--whether this is due to competitive pricing I dont know.

Best of luck anyway,

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW
    Last night my event had a lower turn out than normal due to Bank Holiday.
    Not forgetting Soccer Aid, the celebrity football match played to raise money for UNICEF, that was on last night.

I was out last night so didn't get the chance to watch it but watching the repeat on ITV2 now if anyone else missed it last night.
    :teeth: Scott :teeth:

Roadie/DJ for The Sound Factory,
    operating in the Midlands, covering counties throughout the region

Not done one before but doing one in September so also keen to find out what other people think?

Are you paying for a pitch at the fair? I know the cost of pitches at one of these things can be quite a bit.

We aren't paying for ours. We have been asked to provide the PA, provide background music throughout the day as well as music for the fashion shows that are taking place. They normally use another company I deal with - Woosh Entertainments - but they aren't doing so much on the Mobile Disco scene anymore so couldn't help this year. Think they did it as a favour before for a bottle of whisky or whatever.

Woosh passed on our details and we got the call. They said they could offer us a nominal fee - or provide us with a free pitch and advertising board which costs other exhibitors £200 or so. I know the people involved in the organisation so took the latter option. Doing it as a favour if you like, and any free advertising is a bonus.

Edinburgh, Lothian and the Borders.
    Email.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps
    Just had the chance to exibit at a local fair at short notice. Never done a fair before, so a couple of bits of help if that's ok?

1. Is is worth doing one this year - I only have 5 saturday dates left during the "season" this year, or will most couples be looking for next year?
    You'll find that most of the people attending at this time of year will be booking their wedding for next year

2. What's the best thing to use to advertise - I was thinking a single T-bar, couple of scans and my sound set up?
    That would be fine as long as you're not doing anything else like sound & lights for the fashion show (if there is one). If you take a basic set up, make sure you have plenty of photos or a laptop running video clips of your full rig / you in action. Any customer feedback / thank you cards you have are also good to have to hand (making sure you obscure their contact details if any are visible), maybe in a folder.

Yep, take plenty of flyers, brocures & business cards. If you're busy talking to a prospective client there may be others interested in your service that don't want to hang around (til after you've finished with the one your dealing with) to talk to you, having info / contact details readily available will help "snare" these.

4. What are the best "perks" to help sell (or none at all?) - should I offer somethi ng? like a free bottle of bubbly with a booking on the day. Or is it money off - 2006 price for 2007 if booked today? 10% off? or what?
    The "discount" would be the way to go, giving away freebies smacks a bit of desperation.

Don't for get your diary, & maybe some samples of your paperwork.

Angela could probably give you more advice as she organises things when we do them, I just play the music.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 28-05-2006 at 11:49 AM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

We've done quite a lot and yes, some have been VERY lucrative, some not so, but I would say it is worth doing them on the whole, providing you are getting a very good deal (We have never yet paid to exhibit at a Wedding Fair, so the only 'risk' we are taking is our time). Crazy K has made some good points, but it can come down to whether it's nice weather or not: if the weather is miserable a lot of people decide to stay at home on a Sunday, at those that do come can have their moods matching the weather - miserable! You are unlikely to get much interest then!

I have to say, it is unusual to have Wedding Fairs in June - they usually stop during the summer months and start up again for the Autumn. Is it an established Wedding Fair? Is it run by an experienced company?
    Most will definitely be for next year - even in January of this year, it was about 50/50 for late this year or next year.
    Depends on what sort of room you have for your 'pitch', but remember you will also need room for your literature, any photos, references, etc (whatever you can manage!)
    I would say that some literature is a MUST. Yes, people will want to talk to you, but not everyone wants to - they are just there to browse, pick up ideas, leaflets, cards, etc. If they like what they see they will call you - maybe months later. Another thing that some exhibitors do is put leaflets on the chairs for the fashion show (if there is one).

Some offer discounts, prizes etc, some don't. At the end of the day, I personally don't think that a bottle of bubbly will make them book you if they weren't going to already! The other thing I would say is don't pressurize people into signing up on the spot, or you could lose them altogether. If you can get them 'pencilled in' and send paperwork to them after the show, you will find that 9 oout of 10 will probably come back to you with a confirmed booking.

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have now found out that there is going to be one other disco present. They are charging £125 for a 6ft pitch and I am told that they have sent personal invites to 200 "girls". Haven't asked where else they are advertising - will try that next.

Any other comments or thoughts would be apreciated - it's next Sunday, anyone know if there's anything major happening?

Just trying to get an idea if you guys thinks it'll be worth my while!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have now found out that there is going to be one other disco present. They are charging £125 for a 6ft pitch and I am told that they have sent personal invites to 200 "girls". Haven't asked where else they are advertising - will try that next.

Any other comments or thoughts would be apreciated - it's next Sunday, anyone know if there's anything major happening?

Just trying to get an idea if you guys thinks it'll be worth my while!
    Probably worth your while, I don't know if It's the same nationwide, but you wouldn't get a pitch that cheap i the area we cover. Even if you only get 2 jobs out of it that's recouped your outlay.

We've got bookings at wedding fayres that have had other discos exhibiting, you just have to raise your game a bit, nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

A couple of things that have occurred to me:-

1. You say that you have been given the opportunity to exhibit: pitches are available to anyone who pays. If they have contacted you direct at this late stage to try and sell you a pitch, are they having trouble filling the pitches???? If it is not well attended by exhibitors, you have to ask yourself why.

2. 200 invites is not that many, as most will not attend. Most of the fairs that we have done have had 2-300 brides through the door.

3. Are you and the other DJ in separate rooms? If not, you will be 'fighting' each other music-wise.

4. Is there a fashion show and is the other DJ doing the music and commentary? If that is the case, they will have a much higher profile than you. I have to say that we have done wedding fairs where we are in the main room doing the main background music for the fair, plus the fashion show and another DJ is set up outside the main room in the corridor (along with other exhibitors) and they have packed up and gone home half-way through the day because it was "a waste of time". However, we have done others where the other DJ had done fine - it's all down to placement, so make sure you get as much information as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment
    1. You say that you have been given the opportunity to exhibit: pitches are available to anyone who pays. If they have contacted you direct at this late stage to try and sell you a pitch, are they having trouble filling the pitches???? If it is not well attended by exhibitors, you have to ask yourself why.
    This could explain the low price of the pitch