Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer Savvy Experts - HELP! - "Limited or no connectivity"

Sounds like there is still some old information from the previous Internet provider left on the computer which is blocking your signal.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Well.... it's a bit difficult to explain, but with regards to your router, you'd need to connect to it via it's built in menu - which is nearly always accessible through a standard browser like Internet Explorer. The address tends to be something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, and the default username and password tends to be admin/password. Every menu is different, but you want to look for DHCP, and make sure it's on.

On the laptop, you want to find network connections in the control panel, and edit the properties of your network there. You need to go into the properties for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', and check that the IP address and DNS servers are set to 'obtain automatically'.
    Admin/admin on the livebox. 192.168.1.1 if I remember.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    See, I told you I wasn't qualified. Didn't know netbooks were bereft of such drives.
    I bet many have been caught out by that!

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    Although, thinking about this, my sister in law had the same thing and VM just told them to right click on the router/network connection and click enable. Might be worth a call to them as they do set their routers/connection settings up differently to standard ADSL people.
    Pretty much all ADSL routers are configured the same way, otherwise they wouldn't be compatible with other devices (network drives, media players, Xbox etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Admin/admin on the livebox. 192.168.1.1 if I remember.
    Yes, that is a common one too!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Pretty much all ADSL routers are configured the same way, otherwise they wouldn't be compatible with other devices (network drives, media players, Xbox etc)
    Ah, but VM are not ADSL.
    Steve

Your network key is it WPA/WEP?

If WPA the dell laptops will see the network, but will not connect to it if

A. Not capable of using WPA secure network
    B. If your service pack for Windows is not SP2 or above this will cause the same problem
    Jay Price - Disco Promotions Ltd - Making Every Event Count

Areas: West Midlands & Warwickshire

Just wanted to say that I'm giving up for tonight and starting again tomorrow with this as my brain hurts!

Didn't want anyone to think that I was ignoring them or unappreciative of their efforts ..... I'll let you know how I get on.

If the Network Key provided for your router contains letters, it may require these to be in capitals if written as capitals.

That message is almost certainly because the key isn't being accepted.

You have my phone number if you need me tomorrow, but I will be asleep until midday (working overnight tonight).

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by kilmeedyman View Post
    If the Network Key provided for your router contains letters, it may require these to be in capitals if written as capitals.

That message is almost certainly because the key isn't being accepted.

You have my phone number if you need me tomorrow, but I will be asleep until midday (working overnight tonight).

Phil
    Worth ringing too Angela. Phil has helped me out on more than one occasion with my network.

I wonder if the DHCP scope is exhausted? ie. too many devices for the width of the range and/or too long lease times?

What make / model of router have you got?

Do you have any Firewall / Internet Security software installed on the netbook(s)?

Could be down to one (or more) of a few things...check security settings on the router & netbook wireless, IP ranges, DHCP settings, Access Control (by MAC address)...but if you can provide mroe details it'll be easier to help...