Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lily Allen rip off?

Default Lily Allen rip off?

Is it me, or is the chorus of Lily Allen's new song "Who'd have known" a blatant rip off of Take That's "Shine"?

Maybe that's why it only entered the charts at number 39?

Last edited by Corabar Steve; 07-12-2009 at 09:02 AM.

You know, I kept meaning to post about that, but forgot. It's actually unbelieveable - how can she record that, and not be utterly embarrassed about it??

Got to be one of the most blatant plagiarisms.

However, record companies are very cute and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have a formula and there are just enough notes or jumps different to avoid being accused. In the same way comedians often take the mick out of an artist with a song very much similar to, or 'in the style of' that artist.

Spitting Image and Goodness Gracious Me are two programs that were particularly good at this,

If you keep in touch with the music scene you'll know that she actually asked Take That if she could use said chorus / melody line in her song. They said "Yes" and obviously she said "Thanks alot!"

Only since I've been living back in Derbyshire do I listen to radio 1 but alot of the time they have their finger on the pulse
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    If you keep in touch with the music scene you'll know that she actually asked Take That if she could use said chorus / melody line in her song.
    But WHY would she ask that?

What has it done to people's opinions of her?

Exit stage left...

Ahhhh...so are all profits from this song going to children in need?

I also found the following information, which may or may not be true (but I reckon it IS):

Before the release of the album, Allen posted the song, then titled "Who'd of Known", on her MySpace account, revealing that she sampled Take That's single "Shine" and wrote: "I ripped off the chorus from Take That and can't be bothered with the paperwork.", for which the single was almost not included on It's Not Me, It's You.

Quote Originally Posted by FDDJ View Post

Enjoyed that, thanks.

Who cares? Its a decent track, people re-invent songs all the time and Take That are fully credited on her album. The only odd thing is that she has attempted a cover of such a popular song very recently after its original release.

Take That are definitely NOT sampled on the track, the whole thing has been replayed and doesn't actually fit perfectly with the original Shine track.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMusic View Post
    people re-invent songs all the time
    One man's re-inventing is another man's rip off!