Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 0hms

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Not like you to be wrong Peter
    I'll try not to let it happen again.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hold the front page, I think I'm slightly wrong here. Both volume controls operate, it appears.
    That may depend on make & model of the amp.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Stereo, two separate channels, two separate volume controls
    Parallel, left hand channel is fed to both sides, left hand volume control only, but still two channels. Often used for driving subs, especially if the mixer sub output is mono, which it often is.
    Bridge. Right, now we're in advanced territory. This adds both channels into one, usually connected to different terminals ( which is why you normally need a special cable for this) . If you know what you're doing, it can be an excellent way of powering subs. If you don't know what you're doing, it's an excellent way of blowing something up.

Exactly what it says on the tin. Low numbers mean you only need small signals to achieve full rated output. Some mixers ( Denon for one) have different outputs. If you're running a high output from your mixer into a low input on your amp, it should light the clip lights very easily. Too easily, cos you're running too much signal into the amp. Conversely, if your mixer has a low output, and the amp is on high, you'll struggle to get the volume. Matched, or thereabouts is best.
    How do you no if your mixer has a low or high output? im being thick again i think

Quote Originally Posted by markdj60 View Post
    How do you no if your mixer has a low or high output? im being thick again i think
    What Peter is refering to is mixers that enable 2 different levels of output.

If you look on page 9 of this PDF http://www.denondj.com/Assets/DImage....pdf?ts=071443 you'll see 2 switches between the Master (XLR) output & the Unbalanced (Phono) output.

The one on the left that says Att -10dB OFF ON is the one that switches between the 2 levels (& boy does it make a difference!)
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    What Peter is refering to is mixers that enable 2 different levels of output.

If you look on page 9 of this PDF http://www.denondj.com/Assets/DImage....pdf?ts=071443 you'll see 2 switches between the Master (XLR) output & the Unbalanced (Phono) output.

The one on the left that says Att -10dB OFF ON is the one that switches between the 2 levels (& boy does it make a difference!)
    Thanks Steve, clearer than my explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaforce View Post
    how much harder does an amp have to work at 4ohms compared to 8 ohms

reason i ask is i have a warrior da-1300 watt amp
    and a set of 250 watt class-d's

i have just brought another set of the class -d's 250 watt

will this match ok

thanks
    Personally boys I wouldn’t put those speakers on a 650 w rms per channel amp.Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel the amp sees 4 ohms so no probs there. The speakers are ratted at 250 watt (rms i hope and not music power) so the 2 of them in parallel Could handle 500 watts rms(rms = 0.707 of the peek power I think, its about 25 years since i was at college!)so they have got the possibility of being over powered by 150 watts rms or 75 watts rms each and that’s a lot of power!!The same thing has happened to a dj friend on NYE...so be careful .I would nearly always rate my speakers higher than my amp because of the peek power the speakers have to handle just to be on the safe side
    But I’m no sound engineer just a sparky and that’s what I was taught
    but I prob am wrong......

Quote Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
    Personally boys I wouldn’t put those speakers on a 650 w rms per channel amp.Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel the amp sees 4 ohms so no probs there. The speakers are ratted at 250 watt (rms i hope and not music power) so the 2 of them in parallel Could handle 500 watts rms(rms = 0.707 of the peek power I think, its about 25 years since i was at college!)so they have got the possibility of being over powered by 150 watts rms or 75 watts rms each and that’s a lot of power!!The same thing has happened to a dj friend on NYE...so be careful .I would nearly always rate my speakers higher than my amp because of the peek power the speakers have to handle just to be on the safe side
    But I’m no sound engineer just a sparky and that’s what I was taught
    but I prob am wrong
    No right, no wrong, just different opinions. Peavey for instance recommend using an amp rated twice the RMS value of you cabs.

Here's a thread about it.
    http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...lifier+speaker

Contentious
    http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...lifier+speaker

Happy reading.

Peavey for instance recommend using an amp rated twice the RMS value of you cabs.

I visited big C ( Corby Headquarters ) five years ago and was told no problem using XR800F---500 watts rms a side into 4 ohms--- was ok with two pro 15s and two pro subs---overall about 1000 watts rms handling--- these all came to the the Yorkshire Speaker fest last year.

Before Xmas I bought the UL15s 500watts rms a side ohms and during a conversation with Peaveys own Techo at the dealers premises was given the thumbs up using the XR8600 ---600 watts rms a side into 4ohms.

I guess as long as you keep out of red light areas ( no I dont mean Hull )
    there should be no problems whatever your set up--

No doubt someone will disagree--I can only say 5 years down the line I have had no issues with fried or blown speakers

CRAZY K