Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding discos

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I put as much time & effort into each booking as required, regardless of the type of function, so everyone pays the same.

90% of my weddings involve no more time or effort than birthday parties, so I'd be out of order charging more simply because they had a bigger budget & could therefore afford to pay more.
    I don't understand that - you don't have to be set up early afternoon then, and hang around until after the meal?? This is the case for most weddings in my opinion, as firstly, the bride and groom usually prefer the disco to be set up and ready (one less thing to worry about), and secondly, it doesn't look too great carting in gear while people are eating (if it is in view)

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

I would charge more for a weeding depending on the size of the garden - i do not do japanese knot weed though

I charge more but include a pre wedding meeting at the venue and allot more attention to detail. It often takes me 2-3 hours out of my day to meet with the b&g which equals time for me and more money. I also do more admin to make sure key parts of the day are pre prepared. such as names of brides maids, best men, parents, main guests to join in the first dance etc bla bla.

i also turn up much earlier to a wedding as there are far more RESPONSIBILITIES to take in to consideration.

A general party is such a breath a fresh air as i can do what i want generally whereas with a wedding its a little more precise depending on the couple.

<<< 978 (almost)
    I would do the Japanese knot weed, but would charge more for a pre site visit and extra equipment he he

Well Mark...I quoted £250 more than you lol, that could be why I didn't get the gig!

My reasons why:

My services for the 5 hours or so.
    A little bit extra for fuel.
    Hire of LED Uplighting - Approximately 10 Par Cans including Installation and Removal. (Which cost a tiny bit more than what I quoted for the disco itself!)

I also offer a pre-event meeting as well.
    Last edited by SC Events; 27-12-2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Scott.

SC Events | Facebook

Professional Conference & AV Services, Corporate Entertainment, Equipment Hire and DJs

last wedding I done I had to set up halfway through the day as they were eating in the same room so I was there at 9 am so set the rig up, thats white tablecloths, a quick polish of speakers and lighting truss, tape down all me loose cables,out of there by 12.30 for 2 pm wedding breakfast, back by 6.30 for 7.00 start, finish at midnight , so yeah £300 is cheap.....
    I had a mate do my wedding and he charged me the equivalent of £400. ( I had to do an agency booking for him as 'payment' for mine..
    by the time youve spent out on public liability insurance, pat tested equipment, new cd's /tunes the legal way, you're worth every penny..
    thinking on spending out on a booth this year and that aint gonna be cheap..

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    I don't understand that - you don't have to be set up early afternoon then, and hang around until after the meal?? This is the case for most weddings in my opinion, as firstly, the bride and groom usually prefer the disco to be set up and ready (one less thing to worry about), and secondly, it doesn't look too great carting in gear while people are eating (if it is in view)
    it's also professional to be set up and ready before anyone sees you,
    pubs and clubs dont matter, set up in 1/2 hour with minimal gear..

I had to set up halfway throu a dinner once at a wedding (only cos the agent ed the times up) and the bride and groom demanded their deposit back before I'd even started.....
    Last edited by cosmo1200; 27-12-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Please read the rules regarding the use of bad langauge.....last time.

sorry I had edited at the same time as you..

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo1200 View Post
    sorry I had edited at the same time as you..
    No problem. If you have to use bad langauge use the smilie - it's on the main post-it bit.

....so Wedding Discos....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

I put as much time & effort into each booking as required, regardless of the type of function, so everyone pays the same.

90% of my weddings involve no more time or effort than birthday parties, so I'd be out of order charging more simply because they had a bigger budget & could therefore afford to pay more.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Really a lot of DJs I know would disagree--

Personally I find that the few Wedding Discos I am involved with always involve a lot more PREPARATION because of music choice by the customer and I dont blame people charging a bit more for the time spent including a customer /site visit possibly. I dont do that much but find invariably there are last minute changes to all the tunes. first song, last song the whole flippin lot in fact All taking up my TIME. Time is money etc.

This woukl be as opposed to a Football Club Disco where you just turn up and play what you think is right for the crowd plus requests
    on the night (if you have them)

Getting the clients music right on the night is often seen by the B and G as the most important feature---even if we all know sometimes they get it horribly wrong and the DJ has to sort the mess out--which is another reason why if you have the skill and experience to do that you can point out thats part of the cost as well.

Thats how i find it.

CRAZY K
    I can only speak for myself, but from what you've said it's obviously quite different for some DJs than it is for me.

However, I don't do football club discos, only weddings, anniversaries & birthday parties really.

I don't understand that - you don't have to be set up early afternoon then, and hang around until after the meal??
    To be completely honest, no.

This is the case for most weddings in my opinion, as firstly, the bride and groom usually prefer the disco to be set up and ready (one less thing to worry about), and secondly, it doesn't look too great carting in gear while people are eating (if it is in view)
    With nearly all my weddings it's a case of arriving & setting up an hour or two beforehand, either in a different room to where they're eating or often in the same room when the staff turn it around...just like I would if it was a birthday party or an anniversary.

I do a wedding virtually every weekend, and there were probably about three occasions this year when I had to set up early & hang around until after the meal. As I've already stated, the vast majority of my weddings involve no more time or effort than other functions, so if I charged more for them I'd be ripping my clients off.

Obviously there are a few occasions each year where more time/work IS involved for a wedding (such as when the client wants to meet me in advance), so on those occasions I DO have to work a bit harder/longer for my money, but it's swings & roundabouts, because my birthday party clients pay the same as wedding clients, and sometimes these functions can be 2 minutes up the road & finish at 11pm, meaning there is LESS time & work involved.

Call me an old cynic, but when people who charge extra for weddings say they do so because of the extra time & work involved, I think that sometimes that's just an excuse, and the real reason they charge more is because they know they can get away with it, even though they wouldn't admit to that.

Call me an old cynic, but when people who charge extra for weddings say they do so because of the extra time & work involved, I think that sometimes that's just an excuse, and the real reason they charge more is because they know they can get away with it, even though they wouldn't admit to that.
    OK - you're an old cynic.

I put a LOT more effort into planning and preparation for weddings (and for that matter larger corporate events) than for general private parties. This is reflected in my baseline pricing and optional extras.

With nearly all my weddings it's a case of arriving & setting up an hour or two beforehand, either in a different room to where they're eating or often in the same room when the staff turn it around...just like I would if it was a birthday party or an anniversary.

I do a wedding virtually every weekend, and there were probably about three occasions this year when I had to set up early & hang around until after the meal. As I've already stated, the vast majority of my weddings involve no more time or effort than other functions, so if I charged more for them I'd be ripping my clients off.
    If that's the case, I can't argue with your logic

Call me an old cynic, but when people who charge extra for weddings say they do so because of the extra time & work involved, I think that sometimes that's just an excuse, and the real reason they charge more for weddings is because they know they can get away with it, even though they wouldn't admit to that.
    You might be right.

However, we all know that a good proportion of the general public are always looking to book a disco on the cheap, and it's something we're all (hopefully) fighting, in various ways. Now a wedding is one occassion where Joe Bloggs is going to splash out a bit, and happily pay a decent rate, so what's really so wrong with that??

And besides that Rob, by your own admission, most of your bookings are weddings, aren't they? Call me an old cynic, but if that might well have a lot more to do with the money, than any other reason..

And besides that Rob, by your own admission, most of your bookings are weddings, aren't they?
    Yes, probably about 90% of them.

Call me an old cynic, but if that might well have a lot more to do with the money, than any other reason..
    How can the fact that most of my bookings are weddings have a lot more to do with the money when my clients for birthdays & anniversaries pay exactly the same?

I can assure you that the reason I do mostly weddings is because they are my favourite events. This is partly because there's less likely to be trouble than other events and partly because I get to play a really wide range of music from the late 50's right through to some current stuff...so it's a great variety. Whether or not you choose to believe this is entirely up to you.