Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A guide to Digital DJ'ing.

I wonder if they've dropped the quality on newer ones, since I'm having more trouble with my newer one than the older one. Funnily enough, always the left hand deck.
    my newe ones about 2 months old and is working great - in fact has faster search than my old one and starts n shuts down quicker as well - but as my old one works well not gonna risk updating the firmware.

pm details whats wrong with left deck - so we dont hijack this thread
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    if you use a harddrive DONT use the file brower as it causes the playing side to freeze.
    Have heard this complaint a lot but have never had a problem with it personally, unless I use a USB powered HD. I can't remember the exact amounts but Cortex do reccomend you do not have too many files in one folder, as this can cause freezing.

Cortex do reccomend you do not have too many files in one folder, as this can cause freezing
    its 10,000 files - as i only have 127 tracks on me hardrive at moment no were near it

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    its 10,000 files - as i only have 127 tracks on me hardrive at moment no were near it
    It's to do with the depth of the folders. If you store your files in a folder, in a folder within a folder, then it'll crash when you navigate using the file browser. If you stick to only creating folders in the root of the hard drive, you'll be fine. Cortex have a full document with advice on creating and managing media libraries on hard disks (see below).

Cortex gen advice.doc

I've had all of the above issues and more - I've still yet to get round to replacing my buttons, but only because I'm still waiting on enough to come through from Cortex to be able to replace all of the faulty ones at once (I've now got about 15 buttons with intermittent issues and I'm pretty much using a USB keyboard full time - but notice that the reaction times through the keyboard are slower than the buttons on the unit - not good for beat matching, etc...) The actual buttons in the unit are pretty cheap and nasty - when I did some digging for a supplier for replacement buttons I found a 9p/each version and a 35p/each version of the same button - guess which ones matched the ones supplied by Cortex as replacements...

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I've now got about 15 buttons with intermittent issues and I'm pretty much using a USB keyboard full time -
    I only use one--- the start button.

One of my units has a sticky one that needs a firm push.

Keyboard the rest.

How do you use 15?

CRAZY K

It's to do with the depth of the folders. If you store your files in a folder, in a folder within a folder
    mines just single dir depth wise - listed in artists

as i said above it dont happen with the 32 gig mem stick which i now use all the time

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    How do you use 15?
    Arrow up/down/left/right on both sides (up/down for track selection, left/right for cue points) = 8

Enter button on both sides = 2

Play/Cue buttons on both sides = 4

Edit button on both sides (mainly because of the double key press needed to get the playlist up) = 2

And that's 16 already... (sorry my mistake, 16, not 15).

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Laptop DJ's! off and start your own thread, you're not ing well coming in here, you lazy good for nothing gits

www.themagicmusicdisco.co.uk

BECAUSE MUSIC MATTERS

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If somebody wishes to sticky this, thanks. I hope this works, cos I've never linked to a document before.
    I've finally got round to actually reading the document and I've got a question and one thing to add:

Addition: Cortex also do a bigger unit (HDTT5000) which is basically a HDC3000 in a CDJ like box. You can buy two and link them to use the same Hard disk and keyboard. I've never used one, but I hear they're pretty good. They unfortunately suffer from the same problem as the HDC series, in that if you link them, if one side dies for any reason, it'll bring down the other too.

Question: Why use a powered hub and a powered disk? If your disk is powered then it won't draw any power from the controller, so adding the hub is really just adding something else to go wrong (and is only needed if you really need more ports than the controller can provide). I guess a powered hub makes sense if you use lots of memory sticks, but in theory their power requirements are very low (especially compared to a hard disk which has moving parts) so the controller shouldn't have any problems supplying them.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I've finally got round to actually reading the document and I've got a question and one thing to add:

Addition: Cortex also do a bigger unit (HDTT5000) which is basically a HDC3000 in a CDJ like box. You can buy two and link them to use the same Hard disk and keyboard. I've never used one, but I hear they're pretty good. They unfortunately suffer from the same problem as the HDC series, in that if you link them, if one side dies for any reason, it'll bring down the other too.

Question: Why use a powered hub and a powered disk? If your disk is powered then it won't draw any power from the controller, so adding the hub is really just adding something else to go wrong (and is only needed if you really need more ports than the controller can provide). I guess a powered hub makes sense if you use lots of memory sticks, but in theory their power requirements are very low (especially compared to a hard disk which has moving parts) so the controller shouldn't have any problems supplying them.

Julian
    Have you learnt nothing from the teachings of the Great Sage Vectis?
    Backup, backup, and again backup.
    Right, the serious bits.
    First, the 1000 only has two USB ports. One keyboard, one HD and it's full. No room to plug in the flash drive which you've just downloaded tha latest bangin choooon onto. That's why you use a hub. Keyboard and HD safe at the back, front slot free for flash drives. Simples.
    Second, it's safety. Don't risk something asking for more power than the cortex can supply. Belt and braces.
    Third, and this is the iffy bit. If you've got a powered hub, some ( and only some mind you) bus powered portable Hard drives may ( repeat may) work with the cortex rigged up thus. Therefore in the event of a catastrophe, the lappy exrternal HD could be plugged into a Cortex as an emergency measure. ( once I've rung P****b up and increased my allowance)
    As for going wrong, Belkin are the ones to go for. Reliable so far.
    Hope this helps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk