Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connection Panel

Default Connection Panel

Hi all,

Just a quick post to ask this:

I would like to make these two connection panels to help speed up set up and to neaten up my console:

I've found all the parts etc, but is it really that safe to have potentially exposed cable on the otherside of the panel with no box round like it a stage box/wall box would? Or wouldn't this be a problem? I've found alternatives which require no soldering so therefore no bare wire.

Thanks, Ollie
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

You can buy electronic mounting boxes, sold for use as 'projects' - but yes, I would surround the mains connections, at the very least!

Hi Ollie the best thing to use is black heat shrink. After soldering it on you slide it over and heat it with a hairdryer or similar and it shrinks over the connection sealing it safely.
    The same stuff I used for making my wiring loom.
    Maplin have it in various sizes and it is normally between £3 - £5 for several metres.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Think Rob's brother does this sort of think ....maybe he can give you a tip or two.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Ollie - the IEC320-C14 inlet MUST be insulated behind the panel, otherwise it would constitute a visual PAT fail.

Heat shrinking all the connections is a good idea as they will be much stronger and last longer. I would recommend a prepunched panel, for futureproofing. RCAs, XLRs, jacks, etc are all available in standard panel mount forms. As far as you can, emulate the mixer backpanel on the patch. Don't forget to earth the panel and add a stud in case you want to connect decks at some later point.

Personally I would replace the IEC320 (horrible connectors) with a 16a Powercon A and perhaps add a 16a Powercon B for daisychaining. An IEC320 is easily pulled out in error/anger/etc whereas Powercons have a locking mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by OllieJames View Post
    is it really that safe to have potentially exposed cable on the otherside of the panel
    I build panels similar to this for a major supplier of radio equipment and all we do is heat - shrink all 'exposed' connections. The panel has a grounding wire and I would recommend you include one too.

Our panels don't have power but if I read your post correctly, the panels you intend to build will be permanently installed so having nothing to cover the back of the panel shouldn't be a problem as there should be no way for you (or anyone else) to access the connections.

Had a wee look and for and this is the best site I found so far in terms of price / selection.
    www.themagicmusicdisco.co.uk

BECAUSE MUSIC MATTERS

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

An IEC connection doesn't come in the standard fitting to go on the most commonly avaliable pre-punched panels so I'd go with Tony's suggestion and use powercons instead. If you always add a powercon out too, then if you're using several racks together you can just link them all up and save the spaghetti underneath the deckstand!
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    If you always add a powercon out too, then if you're using several racks together you can just link them all up and save the spaghetti underneath the deckstand!
    Ooh... potential single point of failure alert

Sorry... got my backup head on tonight

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Well no more so than using a 4/6-way block under your stand - or do you run every item to a different socket in the venue

You can always use extension blocks within each rack, so that each appliance has it's own fuse and makes it easier to chop and change bits.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Quote Originally Posted by Danno13 View Post
    Well no more so than using a 4/6-way block under your stand - or do you run every item to a different socket in the venue

You can always use extension blocks within each rack, so that each appliance has it's own fuse and makes it easier to chop and change bits.
    I use as many as I feasibly can... am I sad?