Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Carpeted Speakers

Default Carpeted Speakers

Hi all,

A quick one for you.

I have a couple of pairs of JBL JRX125 speakers. They are full range and I personally think that they are great....anyway...

One pair are almost new and due to lack of space, they are kept in the spare room at home.
    The other pair get used probably once a month or if I do larger functions where I need a more beefier sound (I have used the DB Tech Actives more and more over the past year).

The JBL's are carpeted speakers and I don't know if anyone else has had this problem before (hence this thread) but....They are stored away in my lock up and I noticed the other day that where I haven't used them for a while and what with the weather lately, it's almost as if there is a mould on them? White patches etc...They can easily be brushed off and look as good as new again but within days (if they are stored and not used or in the lock up again with this weather), the patches return.

Does anyone know what I am on about?
    How do you get around this?

I had an idea the other day and brushed them and then sprayed them with hairspray which did the trick for a little while but once again, the patches returned???

The missus has made me some zip up covers for them now but I'm guessing that whatever is in the carpet now is going to keep coming back so it may just be a case of me brushing them off everytime before I load them into the van.

Any help or advice would be great.

(Yes, I could use the other pair in the house but then that's a mission getting them out and ideally I would like to keep them as good as new).

Thanks

Just wash them by hand with carpet shampoo. If your going to store them in lock up its probably always going to return as long as their is a lot of moisture about.
    www.themagicmusicdisco.co.uk

BECAUSE MUSIC MATTERS

You could put them in cardboard boxes with sachets of silicon gel, theoretically, that should work!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    You could put them in cardboard boxes with sachets of silicon gel, theoretically, that should work!
    That'd be Silica Gel then

Works for me. Buy the great big sachets of colour-changing stuff off eBay in bulk, and change em when they are used up.

Also great for demisting the van

I use moisture absorbers such as http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...&isSearch=true

Sit one on top of the speaker then put a big plastic bag over it.

Oh, and it is exactly mould/mildew. have the same problem, myself.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

big bin bag over the top of them with the opening of the bin bag up, damp rises so this will stop the mould from forming, just think what's it doing to your cones...