Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any PC Gurus here?

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    The blue screen (or blue screen of death as it's more commonly known) appears only for a millisecond before the reboot...not long enough to read the text that it's showing before the reboot continues.
    If you are able to go onto your BIOS settings, you can disable automatic rebooting which will then allow you to read the error codes which should allow you to diagnose the problem. If you are unable to access the BIOS settings it could be slightly harder. Let me know and we can go from there.

Gareth

Gareth Bird - Peterborough
    www.radiopeterborough.co.uk
    E-mail Me

Your graphics card is

If it's the same card I spec'd for you in October 07 (XFX), then it seems the warranty was only 1 year...which is a bit lame
    Last edited by Marc J; 31-12-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Shaun, I just found http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22081

Seems to be discussing your card and it's expected lifetime / warranty. If you registered the card when you bought it then the warranty would have been doubled to 2 years - still probably no good to you.

You might have a case against eBuyer with the Sale of Goods act and expected lifetime of a product, but you wouldn't get a full refund or replacement even if you had a case - it's be partial taking into account the 2 years use you've had out of the card.

And in graphics cards, 2 years is a long time.....

Electronic components and devices are certainly not built to last these days - you couldn't pick a better example than the XBox 360

I forgot to say, if it's intermittent then it's likely a heating problem. Switch it on with the side off the case and check the GFX card fan is running smoothly.

I've had this happen to two cards. One was definitely and the other just had a clogged fan. Since yours was an expensive card ditching it just for the fan would be silly, you should be able to get a replacement fan or 3rd party cooling for it.

Getting into the BIOS and / or managing to read the BSOD won't help at all. The effect is visible on the POST screen (the first screen you see when you switch on), which means it has nothing to do with the operating system at all.

buy the pics am 99% certain the graphics card chips are over heating - replace with a good quality card with good quality fans should cure this problem.

also you used to be able to get 2 fans on a board that would fit into a pci slot - this also could help

another cheeper option to look at 1st is the cable routing - try tieing it up out the way. and any case fans - make sure they are performing well
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I forgot to say, if it's intermittent then it's likely a heating problem. Switch it on with the side off the case and check the GFX card fan is running smoothly.

I've had this happen to two cards. One was definitely and the other just had a clogged fan. Since yours was an expensive card ditching it just for the fan would be silly, you should be able to get a replacement fan or 3rd party cooling for it.

Getting into the BIOS and / or managing to read the BSOD won't help at all. The effect is visible on the POST screen (the first screen you see when you switch on), which means it has nothing to do with the operating system at all.
    I've had the card out previously, and gave it a good clean, the problem still continued.

I won a bid on ebay last night for a second hand grafx card, I got it for less than a third of the price of a new card. Hopefully that'll resolve the problem when it arrives.

Cheers for all the replies, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I've had the card out previously, and gave it a good clean, the problem still continued.

I won a bid on ebay last night for a second hand grafx card, I got it for less than a third of the price of a new card. Hopefully that'll resolve the problem when it arrives.
    It may be clean, but the fan may have packed in. Have a look inside when it's on and see how fast it's spinning, if at all.

If you've successfully bid on an identical card, and you can still fix the original with new cooling, then you'll be able to SLI them together for extra oomph

The fan on the grafx card seems to still be spinning at a fair speed.

The PC wont boot into windows anymore though. I guess I'll be on the laptop till the replacement card comes.

Well, replacement grafx card arrived today. Popped it in and the monitor went into standby right after it loaded up the boot screen. I'm now thinking the issue might be with the motherboard.

I've packed it up and shipped it off to the local PC repair shop...where I should have sent it to begin with.