Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Html Sitemap Text

Quote Originally Posted by CB Entertainments View Post
    Enjoy! Hope this is what you are after!
    So what exactly does this do to a website Callum ?

thanks

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by DJ INDIE View Post
    thats right - i do not have ftp access or the ability to upload anything apart from images and html script.
    Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    Are you with Webfusion or 123?
    From http://whois.domaintools.com/sparklingdiscos.co.uk: -
    Name servers:
    ns.123-reg.co.uk
    ns2.123-reg.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by discomobiledj View Post
    That applies only on certain hosting packages with 123-Reg. If the OP uses their instantsite offering I don't think FTP is available.

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    Callum can I do this for my site which is forwarded?
    Due to your site using frames (for the forwarding) an HTML sitemap would be difficult as the actual pages with the content are on a different domain.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    So what exactly does this do to a website Callum ?
    Any sitemap simply lists on one page all the pages of the website. This makes it easy for visitors (or search engines) to see links to all pages without drilling down through the site navigation. This is particularly useful if the site navigation primarily uses either javascript or flash, as users with these disabled may have difficulty navigating through the site.

It's also a good idea to publish an xml sitemap and add it to your site at Google using Google Webmaster Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post

It's also a good idea to publish an xml sitemap and add it to your site at Google using Google Webmaster Tools.
    So in simpletons language for my benefit--

Is this likely to improve the number of key words Mr Google Crawler spots when visiting my sites---and highlights them in a search for my product therefore increasing ranking and chances of getting more enquiries.

Could this mean picking up words on different pages other than only the homepage---which happens at present.

thanks Marc

Alan

CRAZY K

Is this likely to improve the number of key words Mr Google Crawler spots when visiting my sites---and highlights them in a search for my product therefore increasing ranking and chances of getting more enquiries.
    Who knows? But this facility is there (along with many others) in Google's Webmaster Tools so doing it won't do any harm. From www.sitemaps.org: -
    Quote Originally Posted by www.sitemaps.org
    Web crawlers usually discover pages from links within the site and from other sites. Sitemaps supplement this data to allow crawlers that support Sitemaps to pick up all URLs in the Sitemap and learn about those URLs using the associated metadata. Using the Sitemap protocol does not guarantee that web pages are included in search engines, but provides hints for web crawlers to do a better job of crawling your site.
    Could this mean picking up words on different pages other than only the homepage---which happens at present.
    I doubt very much that that's the case. Google will be aware of pages other than your homepage and their content -your test searches (and / or stats) just aren't showing this, perhaps because their results aren't too good or Google places more importance on your homepage. To quickly see what pages Google is aware of (i.e. has indexed) use: -

site:www.crazyk.co.uk

In Google's search box.

From that example, Google is aware of 24 pages on that site. You can also get the same (and much more) information by using Google Webmaster Tools and looking at the reports there.

Who knows? But this facility is there (along with many others) in Google's Webmaster Tools so doing it won't do any harm. From www.sitemaps.org: -

I doubt very much that that's the case. Google will be aware of pages other than your homepage and their content -your test searches (and / or stats) just aren't showing this, perhaps because their results aren't too good or Google places more importance on your homepage. To quickly see what pages Google is aware of (i.e. has indexed) use: -

site:www.crazyk.co.uk

In Google's search box.

From that example, Google is aware of 24 pages on that site. You can also get the same (and much more) information by using Google Webmaster Tools and looking at the reports there.
    24 pages eh?

Have you added some theres only 8

CRAZY K

24 pages eh?

Have you added some theres only 8

CRAZY K
    At the top it says "Results 1 - 10 of about 24 from www.crazyk.co.uk" so I assumed 24.

There are 10 on the first page, and 2 on the next. If you then click on the "repeat the search with the omitted results included" link you get 3 pages - 23 results.

At the top it says "Results 1 - 10 of about 24 from www.crazyk.co.uk" so I assumed 24.

There are 10 on the first page, and 2 on the next. If you then click on the "repeat the search with the omitted results included" link you get 3 pages - 23 results.
    Perhaps its 24 hits for Mr Google Crawler looking for the key words?

Never mind--I dont want anymore publicity--this week so far has been manic manic manic

Hang on its only Monday

CRAZY K

Perhaps its 24 hits for Mr Google Crawler looking for the key words?
    No, it's 23 pages that Google is aware of and crawling.

Do you have a Google account? Have you logged in to Google Webmaster Tools? I highly recommend you do, and add all your sites to it. Once done (and validated - a 2 minute job) you can view reports on what Google sees of your sites, crawl rates etc., submit sitemap(s) and preferences...

No, it's 23 pages that Google is aware of and crawling.

Do you have a Google account? Have you logged in to Google Webmaster Tools? I highly recommend you do, and add all your sites to it. Once done (and validated - a 2 minute job) you can view reports on what Google sees of your sites, crawl rates etc., submit sitemap(s) and preferences...
    Thanks Marc for all the info--im not suffering from lack of site hits so its not an issue.

23 pages--I really give up

I notice sometimes I get small paragraph entries on Google so I wonder if it considered each paragraph of a page as a separate page?

After all its only a machine and wont have the sort of brainpower and logic of us humans

Enough of this far more important matters to attend to---its lunchtime

CRAZY K

23 pages--I really give up

I notice sometimes I get small paragraph entries on Google so I wonder if it considered each paragraph of a page as a separate page?
    Follow each of the links at http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sit...e=off&filter=0 and you'll see what Google regards as a "page".

There are full pages there, some lists, and a lot of pages with just one image on them (example).

Within your site, instead of creating and linking to a page with just an image, you're better linking to the image url directly (http://www.crazyk.co.uk/images/weddi...instripes.jpg). The end result for the visitor is the same, and Google doesn't include it as a "page". It's also a lot easier to do - less pages to create and upload.
    Last edited by Marc J; 12-01-2010 at 12:57 PM.